• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Ideas for new Wonders

Far Reach

Conjurer
For later chapters, Ancient Wonders are typically the only way to add new functionality to a city through the tech tree. Wonders from the last two chapters have met a lukewarm response on the forums. Separately, the new tournament cost formula has generally made Wonders less attractive. I've been thinking about what new Wonder properties might be interesting and useful (but without being overpowered) for Chapter 18. I've listed a few suggestions below:

A wonder which provides a chance of getting double rewards whenever completing a tournament province and/or opening a Spire chest.

A wonder to reduce the time between recipes changing in the Magic Academy. [Perhaps down to a minimum of 1 or 2 hours]

A wonder which mitigates some aspects of cost formula used in the Tournament and Spire. [For example by reducing the effects of wonder levels and/or expansions]

A wonder to substantially reduce catering/diplomacy/negotiating costs.

I'd love to have a Wonder to help directly with Fighting (and a few suggestions have previously been posted by others), but history has shown that such buildings can be hard to balance.

There are of course other possibilities more in line with previous Wonders (e.g. a new type of free troops, a new source of Scroll Fragments to complement Dragon Ark, reduced decay for Urunium). I imagine that the devs are already considering these.

Gargon667

Mentor
A wonder to reduce the time between recipes changing in the Magic Academy. [Perhaps down to a minimum of 1 or 2 hours]

That would be an insanely overpowered AW lol. You basically suggest to make 3 times to 6 times as many booster buildings!

reducing the time to 5 hours would still mean an increase of 20% booster buildings and well worth it. But since most people don´t understand that they´d scoff at it and hate the AW, so I doubt it would be a popular choice, although it would be the most powerful AW after chapter 14...

A wonder which mitigates some aspects of cost formula used in the Tournament and Spire. [For example by reducing the effects of wonder levels and/or expansions]

A wonder to fix a badly programmed part of the game? That would basically mean the broken tourney will be accepted as fully functional and the job of "fixing" the error is put on the players.
So no I am absolutely not a fan of that idea. It also means eventually when they do fix the tourney in a few years the AW will become entirely useless, not that that would stop Inno though... they seem to like useless AWs lately (I would say the latest 3 chapters are of not much use, but I suppose some people at least like the Thermal Springs)

A very good idea, long overdue boost for caterers, who have absolutely no chance whatsoever to achieve high scores in tourneys. Not even that AW would get me to start playing chapters again, unless of course they fix the broken tourneys first, in which case I would absolutely go for it.

Far Reach

Conjurer
That would be an insanely overpowered AW lol. You basically suggest to make 3 times to 6 times as many booster buildings!

reducing the time to 5 hours would still mean an increase of 20% booster buildings and well worth it. But since most people don´t understand that they´d scoff at it and hate the AW, so I doubt it would be a popular choice, although it would be the most powerful AW after chapter 14...

Perhaps. I was thinking getting anything like the full benefit (e.g. in extra booster buildings), would require substantial activity over a sustained period - and for that reason flipping recipes with diamonds is always going to be far superior. (Most of the time manual fighting is much better than auto-fighting, but I doubt that many people make substantial use of it.)

A wonder to fix a badly programmed part of the game? That would basically mean the broken tourney will be accepted as fully functional and the job of "fixing" the error is put on the players.

I understand your perspective, but I think that Inno have long since decided that the tourney is functional as it stands - and of course the same formula has been used in the Spire for even longer. We might have to accept that we are where we, and Inno aren't going to "fix" it.

I'd welcome other suggestions incidentally. Those I listed were the ones which came to my mind, but I'm sure that there are other interesting options.

CrazyWizard

Shaman
For later chapters, Ancient Wonders are typically the only way to add new functionality to a city through the tech tree. Wonders from the last two chapters have met a lukewarm response on the forums. Separately, the new tournament cost formula has generally made Wonders less attractive. I've been thinking about what new Wonder properties might be interesting and useful (but without being overpowered) for Chapter 18. I've listed a few suggestions below:

A wonder which provides a chance of getting double rewards whenever completing a tournament province and/or opening a Spire chest.

I'd love to have a Wonder to help directly with Fighting (and a few suggestions have previously been posted by others), but history has shown that such buildings can be hard to balance.

There are of course other possibilities more in line with previous Wonders (e.g. a new type of free troops, a new source of Scroll Fragments to complement Dragon Ark, reduced decay for Urunium). I imagine that the devs are already considering these.
I would love to see a wonder like that, in fact I expected this wonder at the elvenar chapter so I was really disappointed when it did not.

The 2 latest wonders are an absolute ridicule joke. a wonders like that should be in chapter 2 not in chapter 17. how useless if a wonder if after 17 chapters of quests with 1 small set of quest every 6 months. it's pure mockery.
That said I would love to see a shuffle of the current wonders between chapters.

Why should a player wait untill chapter 15 before he/she gets the freedom to decide there own tournament scheduling (timewarp) and again those latest 2 unur wonders should be the first 2 you unlock, at that point they actually make sense.

Other wonders I like to see:

A wonder that significately boosts melee units as they are too weak compared to range.

A wonder that reduces production timers of factories / workshops / guestrace up to 10%

CrazyWizard

Shaman
The devs will tell you: " Victory Springs and Hero´s Forge tho", even when all people know how trashy light melee is.

This would be just great.
Then I say, you can make victory springs 15x as powerfull and it doesn't make a difference.
I wish they would say that, because if they did they are open to a conversation why they suck so much, they need HP massive amounts of HP (and only melee units otherwise it's pointless) so that they can actually arrive at the enemy alive and smash them to pieces.

Pauly7

Magus
A wonder that significately boosts melee units as they are too weak compared to range.
This would be good, but it seems like the wrong way to tackle something which is just wrong in the game. They should make modifications to the melee troops from the ground up because I think it has just not been programmed right to make them a useful part of the combat mechanics. It seems similar to me to releasing a wonder which reduces the effects of the tournament formula. This is unlikely to happen because then they would just be having to admit that they've got it wrong in the first place. It also gives a fighting advantage to late game players, which Inno are never keen on doing.

Far Reach

Conjurer
This would be good, but it seems like the wrong way to tackle something which is just wrong in the game. They should make modifications to the melee troops from the ground up because I think it has just not been programmed right to make them a useful part of the combat mechanics. It seems similar to me to releasing a wonder which reduces the effects of the tournament formula. This is unlikely to happen because then they would just be having to admit that they've got it wrong in the first place. It also gives a fighting advantage to late game players, which Inno are never keen on doing.

Inno have other Wonders to mitigate in-game mechanics (such as trading penalties and resource decay) so I don't see a problem from that perspective. Also, although this proposed melee wonder would give more flexibility and options to late game players - it probably wouldn't be a balance issue (since HM are rarely used at present, and there is a significant tournament penalty just for building it). In any case, I don't recall Inno ever saying that they wanted to stop late game players having a fighting advantage, it was rather said that they wanted to lessen their existing advantages with the tournament formula. (The introductory video talked about halving the benefits.)

Ultimately, all we (the player-base) can do is to make suggestions about what we would collectively like to see, and why. Inno will decide on what gets implemented. I don't see a reason to self-censor unless they explicitly conflict with Inno's stated game design goals.

Gargon667

Mentor
The 2 latest wonders are an absolute ridicule joke. a wonders like that should be in chapter 2 not in chapter 17. how useless if a wonder if after 17 chapters of quests with 1 small set of quest every 6 months. it's pure mockery.
That said I would love to see a shuffle of the current wonders between chapters.

Why should a player wait untill chapter 15 before he/she gets the freedom to decide there own tournament scheduling (timewarp) and again those latest 2 unur wonders should be the first 2 you unlock, at that point they actually make sense.

I am pretty sure that a reshuffling will never happen, causes too much trouble with the existing AWs. You can´t really delete AWs people already have, but if you don´t the people that got AWs beforre the shuffle would have an enourmous advantage over people that did not.

I would simply wish they put more though into what they do with AWs. An AW that has no use whatsoever when built (end of the current quest line) is simply a joke. Anyway even if you wait for the next chapter it´ll only have a temporary use before it goes back to completely useless. I couldn´t come up with a worse idea if I tried...
As an absolute minimum it would have to apply to event quest lines as well. And obviously the cycle quest would be a way to make it permanently useful. But that is obviously a thing they would rather get rid of than use it for anything. So the whole thing is not thought through at all.

Other wonders I like to see:

I say the same to you as I say to @Far Reach : I don´t want AWs to fix a broken game. The AWs to improve the melee units are available and OK, the problem is melee units are entirely useless units. First they need to fix those units, when that is done the AWs will work perfectly fine.

I can see two ways of "fixing" melee units: Either by making 5day damage boosters availabe, or by upgrading the units stats considerably. Balancing will be difficult of course either way. But the way it is right now is so unbalanced as to make melee units entirely useless, it seems nearly impossible to make it worse, which is a good start for starting to balance something ;)

A wonder that reduces production timers of factories / workshops / guestrace up to 10%

Another good idea to balance/improve catering options vs. fighting!

Pauly7

Magus
I can see two ways of "fixing" melee units: Either by making 5day damage boosters availabe, or by upgrading the units stats considerably. Balancing will be difficult of course either way. But the way it is right now is so unbalanced as to make melee units entirely useless, it seems nearly impossible to make it worse, which is a good start for starting to balance something
I agree with this, but should they ever actually try to sort this out we'll all need to buckle up and prepare for the fact that the way they may solve it is by downgrading the non-melee units to make the melee units more relevant.

Gargon667

Mentor
I agree with this, but should they ever actually try to sort this out we'll all need to buckle up and prepare for the fact that the way they may solve it is by downgrading the non-melee units to make the melee units more relevant.

Lol, I doubt that, for the simple reason that it would be more work to downgrade 3 than to upgrade 2 ;)

In general I could live with the fact if they made tourneys more difficult. It´s still rather tedious to fight 40 provinces every week, and up to double as much in the easy weeks now... It has gotten much better with the new tourneys of course, but still... If only they took the progress block out of tourneys I would be happy to get a difficulty increase :)

Pauly7

Magus
Lol, I doubt that, for the simple reason that it would be more work to downgrade 3 than to upgrade 2
With the work they put in to make them harder I don't think they're now going to power up everyone wholesale. It could quite likely be a mixture of the two. Assuming they do try to fix it they may announce "We have made balancing changes to the combat units" and this will mean LM and HM getting a bit better and the other three getting a bit worse.

Gargon667

Mentor
With the work they put in to make them harder I don't think they're now going to power up everyone wholesale. It could quite likely be a mixture of the two. Assuming they do try to fix it they may announce "We have made balancing changes to the combat units" and this will mean LM and HM getting a bit better and the other three getting a bit worse.

There are so many options how to do it. Obviously there would have to balancing necessary, they can´t just triple the quality of melee units and leave everything else alone, it would make tourneys far too easy.
What I personally would do is to improve the melee units and then increase general tourney difficulty (well if it was me I would roll it all into fixing the tourney formula, but that would probably asking too much). But whatever way they chose to do it, it is something they should get started on.

anonglitch

Co-Community Manager
Elvenar Team
We are going to pass some of these ideas to our developers, @Gargon667 :)