• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Hi people........and elves

DeletedUser2114

How you all doing ? Just thought I'd rumble in and introduce myself. Well as you can see, my name is Thundering Darklord. My friends though can call me Thundering or Thunder for short and despite my name I'm actually not that scary.
I've been playing the game for about 2 months now and really enjoying it so far. Just about to finish chapter 2 and I play as a human (of course :)) over on Winyandor. And I just joined a fellowship a couple of weeks ago so all is good.
If you are anywhere near me on the map just pop in and say hi, and maybe give me butchers a bit of a polish.
Well I must rumble back to my town now. Hope my builder's haven't dozed off while I was gone.
See you guy's soon.

DeletedUser

Hey there. I also play as human in Winyandor. I'm elf in Arendyll. My city is too far away so unfortunately not able to give any neighbour support.

DeletedUser2114

Hi Laerornel. Thank's anyway. I'm actually fortunate to have some nice neighbour's around me on the map that come by quite regularly. There are quite a few abandoned towns around me too though. I play on Arendyll as an elf under the same name.:D I know, some name for an elf. I'm regretting the name I choose now. I don't play on Arendyll much as my main focus is my human town and it's keeping me busy. I'm about to finish Chapter II tonight. :)

DeletedUser

I play under the same name in both worlds too. I started in Arendyll as Elf, so that's my main focus. My human city is almost at the same level though. Good luck with chapter 3! Don't regret your name, nothing wrong with it.

DeletedUser2114

Thanks Laerornel. I just wish I had put more thought into the name. Maybe something less sinister. I'm sure it put's off some of the neighbour's from visiting. :) I haven't been over in Arendyll much lately. I must go back there or there will be no town left. :D

DeletedUser2114

Yeah some are pretty lazy when it comes to names. There was one near me and it was basically just random letters of the keyboard. The funniest one near me though is 'um why am I hear'. Indeed I asked. Needless to say it has been abandoned. You can generally figure out the players who are going to stay by the effort they put into their name. I must compliment you on your own chosen name. It sounds like a fine elvish name. :)

DeletedUser

Actually, though I like the result, it came from an online elf name generator. This is the only game I play online. I wasn't sure if I would like it, but didn't want a bad name if I decided to stick around.

Hi, IMACAT, I like your name.

DeletedUser2114

Actually, though I like the result, it came from an online elf name generator. This is the only game I play online. I wasn't sure if I would like it, but didn't want a bad name if I decided to stick around.

Hi, IMACAT, I like your name.
A name generator. I wish I thought of that. :rolleyes: I stumbled on the game by accident and wasn't sure I was going to stick with it at all. I like builder games in general and tactical games and thought this could be for me but found it slow going at the start. Like 2 1/2 hours to upgrade stuff !!! I'm like I wouldn't have the patience for that but joining a fellowship and trading helped a lot and once you get to chapter II it speed's up a bit. It's a unique game in many respects and I adore the graphics, especially the elves. Anyway, I'm hooked for sure.

DeletedUser

lol, I wasn't actually looking for a name generator, but a search for elf names threw it up, so I thought why not! I'd kept seeing Elvenar in my Facebook feed and stayed away for months. I love building and tactical games. I hate fighting games that put you up against another player and result in damage to either your own or their city. So as it happens Elvenar is a perfect fit. I do fight as it doesn't impact on anyone else's city. I see the fight as just another tactical aspect.

DeletedUser2114

Same here. I tried a few online games before but just found them confusing or boring or both. Elvenar is very user friendly I think. As for the fighting part of the game, well you hit the nail on the head. It doesn't impact on anyone in game and for me it's a no-brainer. I've weighed up the odds several times of negotiating versus fighting in provinces, and sending in the army is way cheaper. That probably sound's horrible but that's the way it is. I hate using up vital supplies that could be used up elsewhere and only as a last resort when the battle get's to hard.

DeletedUser

I've weighed up the odds several times of negotiating versus fighting in provinces, and sending in the army is way cheaper. That probably sound's horrible but that's the way it is. I hate using up vital supplies that could be used up elsewhere and only as a last resort when the battle get's to hard.

I have a whole spreadsheet system for my cities. I did the calculations for cost of goods against cost of units. Given that negotiating a province is a set amount of goods that's set. At max you can lose 5 squads and I rarely lose to that level. I'm just starting the Dwarf chapter. I actually run at about 50/50 between fighting and negotiating. Some provinces are really hard to win, other's a lot easier. I'm at the stage where a split between the two works best for me. I started just negotiating, then switched to just fighting. Now I do both.

DeletedUser2114

I don't have a spreadsheet system (yet) for my town but I always have a notepad to hand if I need to jot something down or make a calculation. But to get back to cost of good versus cost of units, the max amount of troops I can send out at the moment is 5 unit's X 60 = 300. This cost's 4800 tools to train which at my current rate of production takes roughly 30 minutes to get. The training time for 300 troop's is 8hrs max and depending on the area of the map I'm on I can battle 2/8 or 3/8 of a province with them. Negotiating 1/8 of a province could cost 3000 tools + 25000k as an example. That figure is got from what it might cost to produce whatever goods are needed in the negotiating. Now lets say the goods required for negotiating are not your boosted goods etc....:D It becomes complex. It's the troop's for me most times unless the battle is too difficult, and I always go in with maximum troops where I can. Lol have I put you to sleep yet.

DeletedUser

Given that negotiating a province is a set amount of goods that's set.
If you evaluate the Goods with the standard 16:4:1 ratios, the cost of negotiating an encounter varies by a factor of 2, and it's NOT related to the number of defending squads.

The negotiation cost is random. but it's seeded, so each player will see the same "random" result each time, for a particular World>Sector>Encounter>Squad Size.

Consequently you have to think about the negotiate/fight pair that you're up against.
  • The total number of defenders varies linearly with the number of squads, so lots of squads are more challenging because you have to kill half again as many units.
  • The total negotiation costs are random within a 2:1 range that's related to Squad Size but NOT the number of opposing squads.
  • Consequently, sometimes Fighting will be more attractive, sometimes Negotiation will be more attractive.

DeletedUser2114

Hi Katwijk, nice to meet you :). I'm not totally sure I understand what your saying. Are you saying that negotiating costs are related to the size of your squad so if my squad is 300 max then negotiation costs will be no more double the value of the squad ? But you are saying that the opposing squad is random. I'm just wondering because currently I'm no more than 6 hex out from my city in any direction. Does that hold true if you are say 10 or 11 hex out ? :confused::)

DeletedUser

I think maybe I've been misunderstood. However the negotiate goods are calculated for each encounter that's what they are. In fact there is no negotiation, that's the 'price'. Have these goods or you don't get to 'negotiate'. Whereas when you choose to fight your cost is variable depending on how successfully you fight and how many units you have left standing at the end.

For me the decision to fight or negotiate comes down more to what type of province it is and what type of opposing forces I'm up against. Sometimes even how close I am to the next squad size upgrade or unit upgrade I am can be a factor if I start getting close to a defeat.

I work out ring by ring and generally have 2 provinces I'm working on at a time. One being negotiated, so trading to get the goods; one being fought, so training the troops.

DeletedUser2114

I work out ring by ring and generally have 2 provinces I'm working on at a time. One being negotiated, so trading to get the goods; one being fought, so training the troops.
I'm the complete opposite in this regard. I scout provinces based on two factors. One is relic's in the good's I'm boosted in, and the other is discovering active neighbours. I have about five provinces that I'm randomly chipping away at. I'm focused on one now in particular because it's one province away from an active trader, thus I hope, eliminating the trader fee for his goods. My world view map is basically like a giant green splat :D:cool: