• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Question Fighting

Elwenn

Seeker
Hello, I am a newbie and dumb when it comes to fighting. I have a guide request to fight & win 5 encounters. I have tried the auto fight and the regular fight & loose every time. It seems their squad size is always larger than mine. I'd like to decline the guides request to fight but, don't know what will that do? Can I play the game, and advance without fighting at all?
Thanks in advance for your input.

Gargon667

Mentor
You can play without fighting, but that is not really a good idea. The game is designed with fighting in mind, so generally speaking you´ll have an easier time if you do so.
Of course that depends on a lot of factors, especially where in the game you are. early on fighting is unnescessary, catering/negotiating is the more efficient option, but the more chapters you play the less efficient catering becomes and the more advantageous is fighting.

Squad sizes change around all the time depending on what you do, nothing to worry about there, it is what it is.

But if you have the option to decline a quest then decline away, look at the rewards, if they are not worth the effort hop over it, you have absolutely no negative consequences for doing so other than missing out on the quest rewards.

If you need help with fighting in general, look around here on the forum, there is tons of info on the topic or ask (preferably specific) questions. if you need help with a specific fight, feel free to post a screenshot 8and as detailed an info as you can give on what you have to work with, people will always be happy to make suggestions...

rock stream

Scholar
I suggest you review the wiki on units, watch some of the battle vids on Gems of Knowledge or YouTube.
Usually its best to go with one unit (not the "about even" unit). If you have space use some of your crafted battle boosters to tip the scales.

Silly Bubbles

Necromancer
Not all fights are worth it or winable. You have already noticed that the squad size matters so you're nearly there. When squad size gets too big it's better to negotiate. There's still a lot of fights where squad size is smaller making them cheaper to fight rather negotiate.

OldHag

Necromancer
If you can decline the quest, I would do so and get yourself another quest in it's place.

Stucon

Illusionist
If you don't already know ...
Some units will beat others that are much larger in size. for example, archers / crossbowmen will smash the mage units.
Its worth trying manual fighting. Auto fights do weird things, like putting your troops in harm's way when they could be safe behind a wall or bush.

Pauly7

Magus
Welcome to the game @Elwenn. Just one question first of all - have you completed all the squad size researches available so far, including the optional ones? If not, do them all. In the early game, just missing one of them makes the difference between encounters being easy to win and impossible. For the same reason sometimes the fighting will get impossibly hard for a short while until the next research appears.

If that isn't the issue, then as others have said there's probably just some things to learn about fighting. If you play on the PC version of the game then I would recommend doing some manual fighting. It may not be for you because it's very time-consuming, but playing a few fights on manual in the early stages is the best way to give you a good idea of what the fighting mechanics are and why some troops are better or worse in certain scenarios.