• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Faster UI for building and selling many buildings of the same type

SpaceCowboy

Soothsayer
As some of us are already planning for the next FA, one issue has come up that has bothered me in the past already. The FA is designed such that you really have to put down lots (often hundreds) of small T1 manufactories or level 1 Workshops. The current UX for that is pretty terrible. For example, for every T1 manufactory I have to:
  1. Open the Buildings menu
  2. Select the Goods tab
  3. Select the Marble Manufactory
  4. Place it on the city grid
Doing this 300 times is really annoying. A nice improvement would be if, after selecting Marble Manfucatory in step 3 above, I could place it on the city grid repeatedly, as long as I have Builders available.

Similarly, when tearing down all of these, it is tedious and error prone (sometimes, when you're in the monotonous process of selling 150 WS, you accidentally click on an adjacent building and confirm before you even notice) to sell each of them individually. At least for the special case of level 1 buildings it would be great to have an option to sell all of them in bulk.

Jake65

Sage
I suspect this might be intended to be part of the pain and suffering but I would certainly welcome an easier way to build/remove the shantytown.

SpaceCowboy

Soothsayer
@Jake65 Intentional suffering only makes sense when there is a way to buy yourself out of it, which I don't see here. Even when you're buying badges, you'll still want to produce as many as you can yourself, no?

Jake65

Sage
@Jake65 Intentional suffering only makes sense when there is a way to buy yourself out of it, which I don't see here. Even when you're buying badges, you'll still want to produce as many as you can yourself, no?
Agreed. I think a 'fence' concept could work.
It could attach to existing roads, place one building inside and the space will automatically fill with copies of the same building at the normal construction time.
Selling the buildings afterwards would be a single "sell all within the fence" click.

SkyRider99

Immortal
I was walking one day and came upon a man hitting his head against a brick wall. I asked him, "Doesn't that hurt?". To which he replied, "Oh yes. It is very painful." Curious now, I asked again, "Then why do you do it?" "Because it feels good when I stop", he replied.

Perhaps Inno's infliction of punishment and suffering is an act of kindness. :)

Monohr

Spellcaster
We totally could use an easier way. Maybe simply build them like roads. Click once and then place 20 in a row :eek:
or hold CTRL and just click click click

Wibbly Woo

Spellcaster
As some of us are already planning for the next FA, one issue has come up that has bothered me in the past already. The FA is designed such that you really have to put down lots (often hundreds) of small T1 manufactories or level 1 Workshops. The current UX for that is pretty terrible. For example, for every T1 manufactory I have to:
  1. Open the Buildings menu
  2. Select the Goods tab
  3. Select the Marble Manufactory
  4. Place it on the city grid
Doing this 300 times is really annoying. A nice improvement would be if, after selecting Marble Manfucatory in step 3 above, I could place it on the city grid repeatedly, as long as I have Builders available.

Similarly, when tearing down all of these, it is tedious and error prone (sometimes, when you're in the monotonous process of selling 150 WS, you accidentally click on an adjacent building and confirm before you even notice) to sell each of them individually. At least for the special case of level 1 buildings it would be great to have an option to sell all of them in bulk.
The major tedium for me was not the 4 steps you outline, it was the fifth step you skipped… Wait 40s for the builder to become free.

Some form of building queue where we pay the costs up front, and it automatically moves the builder on to the next building would be nice. Even if there is a time or cost penalty to use it, so long as the cost is reasonable, I would consider it! Either that or a way to reduce all building times by some small amount, say, 30s (creates an incentive to have more builders if there is a 10s build time, so by the time the fifth is placed, the first is finished.)

Jake65

Sage
The major tedium for me was not the 4 steps you outline, it was the fifth step you skipped… Wait 40s for the builder to become free.

Some form of building queue where we pay the costs up front, and it automatically moves the builder on to the next building would be nice. Even if there is a time or cost penalty to use it, so long as the cost is reasonable, I would consider it! Either that or a way to reduce all building times by some small amount, say, 30s (creates an incentive to have more builders if there is a 10s build time, so by the time the fifth is placed, the first is finished.)
I see another pet building on the horizon.....
Reduces construction time when fed :)