• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Early Christmas in Elvenar

Jake65

Sage
Hi Inno,

Thank you for the Glittery Father Christmas Tree gift, much appreciated :)

I've sent you some strawberry beer, hope it gets to you intact.
I did see some orcs lurching after the wagon ......

Targanielle

Seeker
I logged in and saw the link to claim the gift, but not in the city where I would want it. So I logged out WITHOUT claiming the gift, logged in at the city where I would like it (and need it!) only to find the link does not appear again, exactly as if I had claimed it. It has also disappeared on the city I logged into first.

For those of us with cities on more than one world, it would be nice to know BEFORE logging in there is a gift so we can decide where we want to claim it.

Targanielle

Seeker
I logged in and saw the link to claim the gift, but not in the city where I would want it. So I logged out WITHOUT claiming the gift, logged in at the city where I would like it (and need it!) only to find the link does not appear again, exactly as if I had claimed it. It has also disappeared on the city I logged into first.

For those of us with cities on more than one world, it would be nice to know BEFORE logging in there is a gift so we can decide where we want to claim it.
Edit: I have now found the tree, but in the inventory of the 1st city where I did not claim it nor want to claim it. My point still stands though - it would be nice to be informed about a gift like this that can only be used in one city so that we can choose to claim it where we want/need it most.

Herodite

Forum mod extraordinaire
Elvenar Team
Hi @Targanielle Please raise a ticket with our Support Team and they can deal with this for you :)

Kind Regards

Herodite.

Laurelin

Sorcerer
I think this is the first surprise Christmas present we've been given in the past four years or so... or does my memory fail me?
If there were any before then, or if I've just forgotten a more recent one - never mind - that was a nice gesture! And a decent Culture building, too.
Thanks @InnoGames! May your - and our - Season be Merry and Bright... and ideally less insanely COLD than it's been in England lately! Brrr ^_^

Sir Derf

Adept
Hey! Keep that cold on your side of the pond! Here in the States, they're projecting for an unusually cold and stormy time about to hit across most of the contiguous states.

Laurelin

Sorcerer
@Sir Derf : Fingers crossed that the Siberian chill we've recently escaped here (and touch wood that it won't be back in January, either, which is more usually when it descends, if it's going to...) won't make its way over to y'all Stateside, indeed! There's 'Festive' and then there's 'shramming'... o_O

And vis à vis Inno's recent arboreal giftie... I spotted this Thread on the US Forum just now, posted shortly after Server Rollover today... so I restarted my game client, just out of interest - and sure enough, this in-game Announcement has duly appeared:

Winter_Event_Christmas_Gift_2022_Father_Glitter_Tree.jpg

... although my existing freebie Father Glitter Tree is still (for now!?) in my Inventory. I'm sure Inno won't revoke it, so... DO we get two of them?

NB : it being the 21st when the prezzie appeared, maybe we should abandon ALL our differing Seasonal terms and just adopt 'Winter Solstice'...!

:D

Jake65

Sage
Hey! Keep that cold on your side of the pond! Here in the States, they're projecting for an unusually cold and stormy time about to hit across most of the contiguous states.
And keep it north of the equator please.
Currently enjoying hot, sunny weather at the southern end of Africa :)

Laurelin

Sorcerer
@Jake65 @Sir Derf : Being a Northern Hemisphere type, I often wonder what it's like to have Christmas in warm rather than cold weather - are the cards, marketing etc. themed around snow scenes as they are here, or do Santa & Rudolph spend more time on the beach than in blizzards...?!

And now I'm off on a nostalgia trip... the weather lately reminds me of being a child in the 1970s, living in a house out in the countryside (where it's colder than my [now] home city's +2-4 °C micro-climate) which was optimistically built - far from any gas main - with oil-fired central heating, before the [first notable] Oil Crisis made THAT a supremely bad idea which reduced to a memory the Winter visits from the lorries which used to come and refill the huge free-standing oil tanks behind the houses in our neighbourhood... and when double glazing wasn't generally around in the UK, either. We'd wake up in the mornings to find our parents laying towels along the bedroom window-sills to soak up the melting ice which had formed on the inside of the glass overnight, before they'd forge out into the Arctic morning to start up both their cars (we were miles from most places!) and let them idle for 20 minutes or so while the dashboard heaters melted the ice on the outside of their windows!

I remember the entire street doing likewise... a long row of parked cars, sending plumes of exhaust vapour into the equally misty frosty mornings - and then all joining the traffic into the nearby city where work & school happened, with those same vapour-plumes still going all the way.

But at least the annual 3-month freeze-fest made us pretty hardy - and as you've reminded me, @Herodite, those Winter months also made our nightly hot-water bottles a most welcome and fondly remembered ritual, too! In fact, I've always bought them for my kids, too, even though my view in their case was that while 'hardy' is certainly a useful trait, 'warm and toasty' is a much preferable situation in which to send one's little ones to bed, given the choice - and one of my girls, in particular, still uses and loves her pink fluffy hot-bottle even now, into her late teens... :)

For the same reason of kiddie-warmliness, I used to run our [double-glazed] home's central heating full blast 24/7 from October to March, too... before our own recent modern gas crisis put a rather abrupt stop to all that, at least for now... plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose, hm? ;)

Of course, if we have any players amongst us from further N. into the European Hemisphere than I am - or maybe Canadians, or Alaskans? - then for sure my nostalgic recollection of what constitutes a cold Winter will be scoffed into next week (and back). I remember the old jokes, back when the Net was young, and for the first time people could actually talk - well, type - to others from the all over the world, without paying a small fortune in phone bills... especially one well-known text document which used to circulate by email, with a series of ironic statements that began [something like] "When Canadians put on a T-shirt, Floridians put on jumpers, hats, scarves, and overcoats", and ended with [something like] "When Canadians put on a coat, Floridians cease to exist". It was obviously an in-joke between North Americans, but still, we N. & S. Europeans could also relate...!

Well, THIS went off-topic fast. Blame the tail-end of my whole family's recent attack of C-19-straight-into-'flu, with an on-off fever of 105 °F or so, for this departure into L. Loquax-style rambling, although (er, I think?) I'm making somewhat more sense now than I have done of late...! :D

... at least our family's managed to get the inevitable lurgy out of the way, this year, before The Big Day arrives, whether it bring us sunshine or snow!

Jake65

Sage
@Laurelin, very much 'classic' winter themes especially in shopping malls, etc. Fortunately the malls are air-conditioned so Santa can sit there all day in his suit and not suffer heat stroke :)
One could argue that Rudolph's nose is red because he forgot to apply sun block before heading south.

Off topic, if we see someone wearing shorts in winter then we know they're a British tourist :D

Waaay off topic, besides Christmas where the snow vibe does fit, we do celebrate some occasions that are totally irrelevant to us. Guy Fawkes and Halloween for example.
Marketeers doing what they do best, I guess.

SkyRider99

Immortal
I often wonder what it's like to have Christmas in warm rather than cold weather

1671750510722.png

But yes, most of us in Oz still pay homage to Santa and the classic snowy Christmas theme:

1671751690453.png

Despite cancel-culture, moral outrage, and virtue signalling.

Attachments

• 1671751664891.png
    1671751664891.png
    150.7 KB · Views: 35