• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Other Different chapters for guest races

DeletedUser438

Hello,

This is a little bit of concept changing suggestion so please do not be mislead by the set frame and how constricted it is. I feel it would be near impossible to fit the potential of the idea into this frame so I have tried to extract the bare minimum. If the idea is like I can make break it down but for now the raw thing is this.

[Summary]: Tittle.

[Recycling]: Allows for using the templates of a race at least one more time, resulting in less overall work for the development team and better clairvoyance for the entire community. It is everchanging without actually changing.

[Details]: Using different motives will allow for the longevity of the game.

[Reasons for Implementing]: Lack of new guest races not contradicting with the core concept of the game (exploration and trading) will inevitably lead to the implementation of not so well endorsed new guest races like Orcs and Goblins.

[Balance]: Creates an enormous amount of possibilities for varieties that can also be ignored.

This suggestion comes from the problem that I have identified in the game as a core concept and is already hindering the game, with the thread of becoming impossible to overcome - One new guest race per chapter. I am hoping to inspire a new approach even if this is not implemented in the shape that I`m suggesting.

It has become obvious that the developers are struggling with what direction to take when it comes to creating new chapters - which new guest race to introduce for us to help. It seems that there are not that many popular or liked races left that won`t be in conflict with the initial`s game design. You might say - hey what about werewolves, vampires, trolls and all the other dark side scum races you can think about like Orcs and Goblins. You might also say - we dislike (those that do) the new current guest race because of the mechanics that come with it, not because of the guest race itself. BUT what you would miss, saying that, is the fact that this is how the orcs are - they have no problem with slavery, they don`t care about the morality of drugs if they would actually enhance their combat performance and are also fierce warriors, the only thing you can trade with them is weapons...to different parts of yours or their bodies...

So how can orcs be properly represented in a peaceful trading game? They can`t be. Not without taking away from the initial idea of the game. So we end up with a race that is weirdly represented, with implementations that contradict the core concept of the initial game (like armories for trading) and overall a bad chapter because you are trying to fit a puzzle piece where it does not belong. Same goes for all the other dark side races - how can you properly represent them without contradicting your own game? Setting loose hordes and hordes of murderous vampires and werevolves and demons and orcs and all manners of dark side creatures upon the world, hoping that because they spent 1-2 months with you they would change their nature and not be killers anymore? The argument - this is a fantasy game, everything is possible, does not apply here simply because you would end up with broken mechanics and misrepresented races that nobody will want to see/play except some minority of people.

So it has become clear that we would run out of races to introduce that won`t contradict the core idea behind the game in the next 1-2 chapters. So instead of devouting solely a single chapter per guest race, why not increase the number of chapters per race with a different motive for each new chapter?

For example with the Dwarven guest race: the races of Elvenar worship the 4 elements - fire, water, earth and air and to successfully get rid of the dwarves you would have to get them through 4 chapters. Dwarven buildings with fire, water, earth, and air motives. Where water motives would be buildings with water elements, earth buildings with earth elements and etc.
Or if you do not like the worship idea you could say that each season a different element becomes dominant for that time so we must cooperate with the dwarves to develop new buildings for each season - heat and fire resistant for the fire season, flood and water resistant for the water season and etc.

If you think that a quadruple system is too long (nobody wants to find dwarven facial hair in their soup for that long!), it can be envisioned into a triple or a double chapter system with the same idea behind it - prolong, even if it is by a single chapter, each guest race so we don`t have to have races out of place coming to our cities.

I can easily implement this idea into double/triple chapter scenarios but without interest in it, it would be futile. So if you like the idea and there is enough interest I could make a very detailed example of what I have in mind.

Edit 1: Added last paragraph

Last edited by a moderator: