• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Battles

• Thread starter DeletedUser2838
  • Start date

DeletedUser5224

(taking account i'm only on Fairy chapter) I can win any green province auto fighting while losing virtually no troops at all, exactly the same for the first 3/4 stars on provinces up to the 9th/10th province (depending on the week) in the weekly tournements, just by looking at my enemy and choosing my troops accordingly, after that I simply switch to manual fighting and do the same thing, I can easily win yellow provinces without issue and on boosted weekly tournements can do 5 stars up to 15 provinces, but manual fighting needs to be practiced and fine tuned to be successful with it, you just have to learn which tactics suit best for whichever week it is.

Some weeks are considerably harder than others though. This last scrolls week I found very difficult and I only achieved just under 900 points before I started getting beaten, yet using the exact same tactics, last weeks crystal tournement I got to 1900 points before hitting the same brick wall. I tend to focus more on boosted weeks in honesty though, as they seem easier and I always score higher in them. I don't like catering at all if I can avoid it.

You just have to practice, practice and practice some more and then have a good think about which troops will serve best for each battle.

DeletedUser2838

Then you need to improve your tactics. A green province is easily winnable if you learn the troops and their capabilities. Try taking one if everyone and seeing what they can do. Every unit has a purpose so discover and enjoy :)

A green province used to be easily winnable. I know what my troops abilities are, I know which enemy troops they are best against and I line them up against the enemy accordingly. Inno tell me all this information and I use it. Then I unleash my troops and they behave like tacticless numpties - meandering around aimlessly not bothering to attack or attacking the units they are not best suited for. That's why I'm now losing many greens - this only started about 3 weeks ago, before that it was fine.. Yes I do use autofight but I have a real life and can't afford to spend hours per day manually fighting. If Inno's listed troop capabilities of which enemy units they are best against only applies if you manually fight they should say so. If my units feel free to do whatever they randomly want to do on autofight we should be told. It would change my choice of units for battles - more on units that throw things rather than close-combat, and more on units that are difficult to kill off. That's an important difference, which is why I want to be told if autofight is tactically different to manual fighting.

DeletedUser441

They told us this spring that the battle computer was getting 'smarter' and fights did get harder. We were told it would learn from us so I assume I can teach it how I fight. I can tell you if I pick correctly then the losses can be lower on auto than manual.
You honestly believe that this game has the ability to learn each and every players battle tactics ? I don't think so ! :rolleyes:

Killiak

Artisan
I do not believe the "AI" is any kind of clever, especially not on the player's side. You can see this easily by watching battles (by letting them finish for you, but still watching), it's a special kind of dumb and it will costs you a lot more troops on average than fighting yourself.

I have not been a fan of the battle system change and that's putting it mildly.

DeletedUser1829

As I keep saying, my troops seem somehow handicapped such that when all the units are selected as the best choice against the enemy units, and I am significantly numerically superior I generally get defeated. On the world map I win about one third of my "easy" province encounters and zero of my "medium" encounters. It's a curious definition of easy.

The AI is the same for enemy and our troops. When players have provided specific examples inno has "improved" the AI. Unfortunately it tends to make fighting harder. Regardless I have not noticed any change in difficulty recently. You mentioned the tournament, the recent scrolls tournament is one of the hardest, you can't compare its difficulty to other tournaments you have to compare it to itself 9 weeks ago.

You seem certain you have chosen the right troops and have the squad size advantage so it is odd that you are losing. Are you using the in-game suggestion for troop selection or working from player guides? If you are using the in-game information there is a "gotcha" to be aware of in that the in-game display shows neutral and good options in the same way.

Something else I have noticed in my fights is that the more variety of units I select, particularly unit type, the greater my losses. If i can stick my choice to a single unit type or 2 at most I find I get better outcomes from auto-fight.

You cannot just expect to win every fight using Auto, otherwise we all just need to press the button and win...the idea is to work out how to win by fighting manually.

I do expect to win fights by using auto and do the vast majority of the time even into the last round of tournaments. For the losses it is often a map that causes it although sometimes it is just the AI. Either way it is far easier from a time perspective to cater the couple fights the AI can't handle.

The combat system is such that as long as you have the squad size ratio right/favourably and the correct troops you should be winning most if not all the time with auto-fight (barring the odd map mishap which are less of an issue in favourable difficulty fights). This is without even using AW benefits. The AW's just make it easier and reduce the losses.

DeletedUser1816

I have seen one enchantress slay 5 treants by simply staying out of range !
That is only possible in very special cases where there are a lot of obstacles on the battlefield. The enchantress has a range of 3, so the treant can normally attack the enchantress...
I did not say I complete 20 provinces to round 6, just some of the 20. I pretty much do it as you do, just a few more provs :)