• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Already Suggested [City] Rotates City's map

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser50

What i mean is, in your city, there will be some building that will block other side, so it would be great if we could rotate map to see what on other point of view, such as 1 empty hole, or can click which building you want.

DeletedUser23

I haven't had that problem with Elvenar through the Beta to be honest. I did with FoE, as the map squares seem more condensed there, and you have lots of taller buildings.

Maybe in the far distant future when they add in further upgrades, that could be a problem, but even with FoE it was just a case of picking up a building to see what space there was.

Though I'd have nothing against rotating the map.

DeletedUser50

Well, i am new to this types of game.. so i guess so, but what about building it self? like building was 2x1, i would like to rotate that too...to make more space efficiency..

DeletedUser23

Well, i am new to this types of game.. so i guess so, but what about building it self? like building was 2x1, i would like to rotate that too...to make more space efficiency..

That's been suggested and rebuffed a lot in FoE because it would make the game too easy. The challenge at times is to plan your city to make use of the space you have available and the buildings unlocked.

DeletedUser

Yeah, I doubt we'll see city or building rotation for the same reason it's never been brought to FoE. It would require making at least twice the amount of graphics, which adds cost, and also bandwidth requirements. And building rotation would on top of that issue take away much of the city planning aspect. It's a building game and the planning is quite a large part of that. Hence why buildings are all different shapes and sizes in the first place.

DeletedUser48

i've had issue where can't open a building at all due to this. i'd like a rotation system to reach it.

DeletedUser

Personally I wouldn't mind a freeform, *point-buy* setup or city parts on a full 3D terrain mesh and free camera with no grid restrictions.
Like having points to buy and place stuff, including full rotation of all buildings.
Guess we'd need a unity run version of Elvenar for that lol

What we have is a fixed perspective *isometric* game with pre-rendered arts.
One would have to mirror all graphics assets to allow for *rotation* (or *flipping*) on the city grid.
i.e. a 4x3 whispering trees that could face northsouth as well (as a 3x4) would have to be rendered as a 2nd version due to global lighting and shadows on the city view.
Simply flipping a rendered art horizontally would break overall immersion since the graphic and lighting in mind was rendered from the opposite direction.

Personal guess:
Buildings can't be rotated for reasons of balance and also variation creep of same buildings:
i.e. a 1x3 decoration object is cheaper but less effective than a 3x1 to make placement *more strategic* and have a reason to unlock later decorations in the research tree.

Rotating the city map would at least require to render every piece of art from another view to make it stay true to the viewer's perspective.
Example the main hall would need a *backside* version being rendered, after a player would decide to turn the city view by 180° degree.
Maintaining the option to check the city from all 4 sides would require to render every stage version of all buildings from 4 different sides. That's a lot work

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Map Rotation could be helpful maybe.
Building Rotation?
It's a building game and the planning is quite a large part of that. Hence why buildings are all different shapes and sizes in the first place.
Like a brick game, planning is all that there is to it. As you go along, things will get more challenging. And I know all of you, like the challenge as it is fun. :)

DeletedUser50

Indeed, render is a lot of work... i am annoyed by the fact i click wrong building due to other front of it..

I was hoping for Map Rotation, however render and graphics are problem tho...

DeletedUser1316

Hi guys -

The rotation of cities/buildings was ruled out by our Game Developers in the July Live Q&A video. There was also several others thread suggesting the same, one of them can be found here if you would like additional information.

I will be moving this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.