• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Answered What font is used in Mail?

SkyRider99

Mentor
I often have lists and messages that I prepare in MS-Notepad, with courier font.

Of course when I paste these into the Mail message all my spacing and alignments get ruined.

1665364577197.png

What font does the mail system use?

I could use Word or Wordpad to draft my messages and paste them with the same font/format and not lose all my lists.

Jake65

Sage
The font is Arimo. Since it is a proportional font, you cannot get an exact alignment using spaces. You can however already see what your text will look like before you paste it.
What is a proportional font?
I understand the equal area between letters (kerning?) but haven't come across the "proportional" term before.

Sir Derf

Adept
In the world of fonts, one dichotomy is Fixed-Width vs Proportional. With Fixed-width, all characters are the same width, so 10 w's are equally as wide as 10 i's; with Proportional, different characters are different widths, with a single w probably being as wide as several i's.

Last edited:

Silly Bubbles

Necromancer
I often have lists and messages that I prepare in MS-Notepad, with courier font.

Of course when I paste these into the Mail message all my spacing and alignments get ruined.

View attachment 6651

I could use Word or Wordpad to draft my messages and paste them with the same font/format and not lose all my lists.

I'd try using spaces instead of tabs. I've just tried it using Notepad++ and LibreOffice and it worked.

SkyRider99

Mentor
I couldn't get Notepad++ to copy/paste properly. It still copies as courier and pastes as proportional Arimo(?). I was using only spaces to align my lists too. :(

kimkimkim

Summoner

View attachment 6651

I do lists like this myself and find the same issue occurs, but I just go back before I send the message and shift everything over, time consuming but it gets the job done

SkyRider99

Mentor
I do lists like this myself and find the same issue occurs, but I just go back before I send the message and shift everything over, time consuming but it gets the job done
Me too @kimkimkim. I was hoping to discover a less frustrating way to address the issue. Maybe even something like having an option in the Mail Messaging system to select courier font? I know, I expect too much sometimes. :)

Silly Bubbles

Necromancer
Me too @kimkimkim. I was hoping to discover a less frustrating way to address the issue. Maybe even something like having an option in the Mail Messaging system to select courier font? I know, I expect too much sometimes. :)

I'm not sure whether different font would help. I think the problem is that it doesn't recognise tabs. Even when I try to write a message in the game and click on tab it leaves the message and cycles through my browser controls. It's the same with Sticky Notes, they don't recognise tabs in the text either. The best I get when I copy and paste that tabs are recognised as a single space. So I'd suggest for tabs to be recognised in the message text for it to be fixed but that involves indents.

SkyRider99

Mentor
@SkyRider99 I don't know what you work on, but I tend to use "Sticky Notes" on my PC... seems to work well for me! Do you have anything like that :D

Kind Regards

Herodite.
Thanks @Herodite. Having now tried Sticky Notes, it seems to work. Provided I use only spaces for alignment. No tabs!

I will give it a few more tries when I next have to mail a list of some sort to my FS.

Much appreciated. :)