• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Answered What can I do with extra rune shards?

• Thread starter DeletedUser7095
  • Start date

DeletedUser7095

I know you can use them to make broken rune shards if you are still placing them in the rune circle and try to place more than you need, but is there anything you can do with rune shards once you've built the relevant Ancient Wonder?

cwgiii

Shaman
I find that it is extremely helpful to keep at least one AW at the point where the runes need to be populated (5th, 10th, 15th level). That way, when I NEED to establish the 1st level of a new AW, I can quickly "burn" those extra rune shards for the old AW to generate the correct needed rune shards for the new AW. If you did not know, those new generated shards are generic and can be placed into any AW rune circle. It can be a lifesaver and is a useful way to get rid of those extra shards for any AW.

DeletedUser7095

As I've only got one at level 2 so far, I'm a long way away from needing them, but thanks for the info!

DeletedUser5976

Well it doesn't cost you anything to keep them and you will certainly need them in the future. As you unlock more AW, the provinces might give you those new shards instead of the older ones and it may become harder to get the shards once you hit lvl 5.

cwgiii

Shaman
Yes. As you open new chapters, the chance of getting the particular AW shard that you need drops, as does that elusive last shard in the ring.

DeletedUser4149

cwgiii is right about needing more runes at 5th and 10th levels, but i disagree about keeping a wonder at 5th or 10th level. the upgrades from 5th to 6th and 10th to 11th are close to double strength as other upgrades. i'd complete those as quickly as possible to have a more potent wonder.

you can build new wonders more easily by not building every wonder, especially crappier ones like tomes and excavations. if you use those wonders and spend kp on them, you won't want to junk them. junking level 1 wonders that you haven't spent kp on will allow you to place those extra, otherwise useless runes. when you can keep on placing more of those crappy runes without building wonders to 6th level, many of those runes will break, allowing you to forge more runes for any wonder you want. we'll always keep getting tome and excavation runes. if you don't keep every wonder, the broken runes from wonders you don't keep should be enough to help you build or upgrade almost any wonder. look around at how many large cities can't raise simple wonders to 6th level. they have too many wonders and not enough different runes to break.

too many wonders will also mean less kp to go around to better wonders and less space available for the portals you'll need for later research.
the tome stinks because it won't award 2kp per day until you spend over 900 kp to get it to 6th level. that's the potent upgrade i mentioned above. there are better uses of space and kp than a tome. also, those are the most common runes. those runes can be more valuable as broken pieces to build and upgrade better wonders.
the excavation stinks when you get your relic boost to the max 700%. this wonder becomes halfway useless at this point. a prosp tower is better to get more supplies.
i'd spend kp on your abyss or needles. those wonders will do more for you when your city gets bigger.