• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

User Interface Timer in Browser Tab Window

DeletedUser23

[Summary] - A timer that indicates how long until the next production is ready - shown in the browser tab at the top.

[Details] - It would be great to know instantly how long you have left until your workshops or manufactories have completed their production, or until the barracks will have stopped producing troops. So the idea would be, at the top of your browser, where it says "Elvenar - Fantasy City Builder" they could implement a countdown timer system that showed just that information.

[Reasons for implementing] - It would save wasting time with productions sitting there pre-collection. Would allow to browse other sites, watch programs or whatever you do, and with a glance you could tell if there's something to collect or how long until then.

It would simply be a convenience system. Yes it doesn't take much time to check currently, but checking constantly, trying to remember how long left every hour, or setting external timers are cumbersome and unnecessary with such a system.

[Impact on other game features] - Don't think it would affect anything else.

DeletedUser

Hmmm, I like it, but I have a feeling if the devs go for it, they're going to put it within the game screen. Which would still be more convenient than manually checking each building to see what's next though.

DeletedUser23

Why do you think they would do that Barti?

It still would be useful; similar to the countdown for Knowledge Points. Though I'd prefer it so I could see when browsing other sites :D

DeletedUser

Well, putting it in the game screen is easier and doesn't depend on browser.

In the tab, would it just be numbers? There's limited space to explain it there. In the game screen, it can have it's own icon and tooltip to explain it.

Personally, I don't like tab titles that change all the time, can be distracting.
Also, I often pin the game tab if I'm going to be playing for a while (Which reduces the tab to just the favicon).

Sorry for the weird posting style, just typing as I'm thinking.

DeletedUser23

I just imagine a 00:00:00 (h:m:s) in the tab, doesn't take up much room and can still fit in "Elvenar" at least alongside that. You can have part of the tutorial which explains that this shows the time until the next production is ready. I don't think it would be that difficult for people to learn about. It wouldn't exactly change all the time (beside counters going down/up) as it would stay at 0 if nothing was being produced/collections were waiting.

DeletedUser

I just imagine a 00:00:00 (h:m:s) in the tab, doesn't take up much room and can still fit in "Elvenar" at least alongside that. You can have part of the tutorial which explains that this shows the time until the next production is ready. I don't think it would be that difficult for people to learn about. It wouldn't exactly change all the time (beside counters going down/up) as it would stay at 0 if nothing was being produced/collections were waiting.
I think I have less faith than you in how many players pay attention to anything said in the tutorial :D

I'm not totally against it, I just feel having it inside the game screen would be a better fit. If they could make it an option(like city animations) then I'd be all for it. So each player can choose from 'tab', 'game screen' and 'off'.

DeletedUser23

Options are always good :p

Either the game screen and/or tab would be an improvement to how it is now though, so I wouldn't mind really, whatever the devs might prefer.

DeletedUser

Yeah, I like options. New features are almost always going to divide the player base to some extent, options help mitigate that.

DeletedUser

What if they just display (for example) '!' as a prefix in the tab caption when any production is finished. '! Elvenar - Fantasy city builder'.
Easy to notice, easy to implement, not distracting, not using too much processor & resources.

DeletedUser23

Because it's no different than just checking the tab really. The point of the idea was to have a timer so with one look (preferably on tab, fine if it's in game window) you can see a numerical value to how long there is left for the next production.

damon

Adventurer
I use a more simple system . . . Clock desktop.
The devs have a much greater task . . . . to get the game running smooth . . . and then go to the extras.

Deleted User - 13667

Adding a little in-game time may help raise the acceptance of the game storyline

+1 for me on this concept. Helps to standardize a common time different from the real world.