• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

New Game Features Magic Academy: production, crafting, availability etc.

First, a reiteration of a very common complaint: where is the pet food?

Why give the players the option of having so many pets but put such an arbitrary limitation on pet food? It doesn't come up enough to craft in the MA and there is no other production format other than an event building from a while back...and Juul's Kitchen. I don't think I need to point out the pointlessness of the chances of getting pet food from there.

First suggestion: put pet food as a production spell in the MA; side-by-side with PoP, EE, CC, MM and IM. Or give the MA a whole new tab dedicated solely to pet food production. Put a 24 or 48 or (even) 72 hour timer on its production to limit flooding the game with pet food. This lack of pet food isn't creating a "challenge", it's creating disillusionment.

The next problem is a lack of military buildings (or boosters); i.e. ELR, MMM, UUU and DA. Again, they come up so rarely to craft in the MA.

Second suggestion: Similar to the first suggestions, add it as a production spell or give it a new tab in the MA. Maybe that new tab could be shared between pet food and military booster production. Add a 24/48/72 hour timer to each to limit flooding the game with them.

In terms of the Mystical Object (MO): diamonds are great, KP is great, and time boosters are a good consolation prize But every single building ever offered by the MO has been completely and totally pointless other than fodder for spell fragments. If it was a lot of spell fragments it could be a poor but still useful consolation prize but we're talking a pitiful 500 here and there.

Third suggestion: Make all MO offerings useful. If there is an insistence to include buildings in the MO why not put the military boosters/buildings in there instead? That way, players get to 100 VV and will at least get something useable. A useless building is worse than a kick in the teeth.

In terms of crafting buildings, other than the military boosters, they are usually useful or pretty; whichever takes your fancy. Sometimes they're useless, which is fine as long as I sometimes get good ones.

In terms of relics, after the first few chapters you're literally drowning in them and the option to craft them is redundant. The counter may be that it's going to take a long time to get enough relics to achieve the 700% boost. And I completely agree. But the option to craft a pitiful 5 relics over the course of 3.5 hours for the cost of 1 CC and a handful of spell fragments is way too expensive. Plus, how much difference is it going to make to craft a pitiful 5 relics here and there when you can score 13 for completing a province or receive an avalanche of relics by going hard in the tourney?

Whilst on the subject, I love PPs. Some players hate them or have mixed feelings. But you can get them so freely from events, trading stations, etc.; so why would I pay 10 CCs and 3k spell fragments for a measly 20% PP that's going to take 6 hours to craft?

Fourth suggestion: Drop the relic crafting recipe from the MA once a player is past, say, chapter 5 or whatever. Or drop it once the player has maxed all relics for that particular production. Or just drop them altogether. As above, there are much more efficient ways of getting relics. Re-jig the pricing for PPs or just remove them from the MA, as they're so freely available elsewhere for far cheaper.

As an aside, there was a topic on making the options for the MO open to choosing by players instead of random. The immediate counter was that everyone would just choose diamonds, which is a reasonable argument...if diamonds were a prize every single time. They aren't.

Fifth suggestion: I support the idea of choosing a reward from the MO. I also agree that if 500 diamonds are there it's a no-brainer what the option to choose will be. Why not amalgamate the format of MO prizes, then? If there's a diamond option make that a random prize with a 10% probability when the MO is clicked on and if the player doesn't get the diamonds then they can choose what their prize will be.

In short; crafting, MO, military boosters and pets are all great ideas. But when success in the game becomes contingent on having access to all those things and in useful quantities, limiting their availability isn't creating the desired effect of a "challenge". All you're getting are frustrated players. The counter may be that all the players are in the same boat and I completely agree. You're annoying ALL the players. As a business model, no company has boomed from angering their entire customer base; ever, in the history of time.

Last edited by a moderator:
As we're getting diamonds regularly for everyday in-game play I think players would be more inclined to buy pet food with diamonds if they weren't so expensive. I can't remember exactly but there was that pet food for diamonds offer recently where I believe 1 pet food was 325 diamonds at full price and 290 with a 10% discount? That's priced at higher or around the same price as upgrading a magic residence/workshop (MR/MW), which I believe are 300 diamonds each per upgrade. I don't think many people would agree that pet food holds an equivalence to upgrading an MR or MW.

I also appreciate that inno want to make money and limiting "free" pet food whilst over-pricing pet food for diamonds is simply a marketing strategy that utilises supply & demand. However, I question the equilibrium point that inno are envisioning. It's no secret that I've spent money on the game but I consider myself a prudent buyer. Then you have those that splash the cash, let's call them the hardcore players. And, finally, the rest that either don't spend any money or just a little here and there, i.e. the frugal players.

In basic economics the hardcore players would populate the tip of a pyramid. The prudent players would sit at the centre of the pyramid over a larger area. And the frugal players would populate the bottom of the pyramid and would likely take up an area greater than the other two types of players combined. Surely the equilibrium point for diamond costing pet food would be such that it would entice the prudent players to partake en masse but also get the frugal players to dip their toe in the pool.

For the hardcore players it's a given that they'll pay whatever it costs to get ahead and all power to them. But it's simple business-sense that more orders at a mid-price will always earn a company more profit long-term than a few orders at a higher price. Top luxury goods, like Ferraris and high-end watches, obviously buck that trend but given the likely number of hardcore players in the top 100 on each server is inno really earning enough to afford to price out the other players?

Sixth suggestion: The above is just the long way of saying, "Shift the pricing equilibrium on pet food." I don't use a huge amount of pet food but that's only because I've adapted my game-play to account for the supply shortage. If it was more affordable vis-a-vis diamonds I would probably purchase them to utilise more pets. It seems such a waste for the devs to design these beautiful and useful pets only for them to be discarded, as players cannot afford to run them. What would I consider an affordable price? That would be around 100 - 150. But I also appreciate that inno would like to exploit the desperate, which any good business worth their salt would do. So, price it at a full price of 200 (say) and then offer periodic discounts to drop the price to around 100 - 150.

How painful would it be to just try the above a couple of times? If my economic argument is found wanting then no harm, no foul. But if it opens up game play, satiates the need for pet food and ameliorates some of the discontent amongst players how much harm would this really cause to inno's bottom line?

SkyRider99

Mentor
As a business model, no company has boomed from angering their entire customer base; ever, in the history of time.
Lawyers and real estate agents would have to come close though? :p

1687134819669.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Tims Place

Novice
I think this has been said before. But if we keep saying it maybe someone, somewhere may take notice. lol I know.
The information I'm finding tells me I can get pet food from the Magic Academy. They only seem to occur in the crafting part, so infrequently, they might as well not be there. This is really aggrivating me A LOT, as I need pet food to activate a number of my event buildings.

I have a suggestion, could you make pet food? If it could be designed to make pet food in the Magic Academy the same way I currently make Power of Provision, Ensorcelled Endowment etc this would make a big difference. Currently, I have too many Power of Provisions and none of the pet food I need? This seems like an imbalance in the way my game is playing. Please consider my suggestion and pass it on to, or highlight it with, the relevant department for me, thank you.

Sir Derf

Adept
A reminder for those who might not have seen the earlier suggestions for maximizing Pet Food (or other recipes) in crafting.

• Crafting updates every 6 hours,
    • for best results try to time your visits to see all four updates a day
    • To aid this, use a Sip of Clarity to time the Crafting updates so you can see the start of one cycle before going to bad and the end of a cycle in the morning.
      • While not directly related to Crafting efficiency, but going to bed once a day is recommended.
  • Crafting recipes appear in certain slots
    • Don't let recipes being crafted sit through a recipe rotation - you won't get a new recipe in that slot in that update.
      • Use Time boosts to complete and pickup your item immediately
      • Don't use Time boosts, but do pick the item up before the next recipe rotation
    • Some recipes only appear if you don't already have an item in your city or inventory.
      • For higher odds of getting desired building recipes, craft Chess Set pieces and Evolving Bases, so they will stop appearing as recipes in the future
There are 4*7=28 recipe rotations in a week.

The 10 Pet Food Recipes (9 costing 5 relics, 1 costing 1,650 SF) are in a slot with 9 Relic Recipes, 4 Ensorcellment Recipes, and all of the Evolving Artifact recipes. I do not know the probability weightings on these recipes in this slot. Best of luck; I hope this helps.

Also, keep your eyes out for other opportunities for Pet Food - they're rare, but they do occur.
  • Did you participate in the Floral Awakening Event? Pet Foods were an occasional reward on the Shuffle Board. I was interested in the Dailies and Pet Foods, and received I think 7 Pet Foods and 20 Dailies, including 14 of the one I wanted by waiting until the last day to use all my currency and rerolling until I got it. Especially helpful if you could finesse the Spyglass and 2x features on these.
  • I also recently placed a Savory Bites building that I had received from some past something (I forget where, sorry), which, properly timed, can grant 5 Pet Foods.

Shumaroto

Seeker
I think this has been said before. But if we keep saying it maybe someone, somewhere may take notice. lol I know.
The information I'm finding tells me I can get pet food from the Magic Academy. They only seem to occur in the crafting part, so infrequently, they might as well not be there. This is really aggrivating me A LOT, as I need pet food to activate a number of my event buildings.

I have a suggestion, could you make pet food? If it could be designed to make pet food in the Magic Academy the same way I currently make Power of Provision, Ensorcelled Endowment etc this would make a big difference. Currently, I have too many Power of Provisions and none of the pet food I need? This seems like an imbalance in the way my game is playing. Please consider my suggestion and pass it on to, or highlight it with, the relevant department for me, thank you.
I dunno about Pet Food. I get it more than enough of it. Ofc if you have lots of pets to feed, than its problematic. I get an offer usually once a day to produce pet food. idk + its quite cheap - couple of catalysts and 5 relics

m4rt1n

Adept
Use your pets wisely, mine get fed when needed and I have a stock that is still building, 142 currently.

Time the use of pet food for maximum benefit on a particular pet, there are many threads out there explaining this but for example "Use pet food on a brown bear, first thing in the day when you have all military building productions complete, collect then make more using time boosters and supply boosters" for me that is once a month.

SkyRider99

Mentor
I use my pet food on the Storm Phoenix, after applying MM enchantments to my 9hr overnight productions.

I can then get one more (boosted) 3hr collection before the pet food expires.

Gandolfus

Novice
I think collecting Pet food is a problem for a lot of players as it crops up in our chat quite often. But I have never seen concerns about the collection of Power of Provision, Ensorcelled Endowmnet, or Magical Manufacturing which, I think says a lot.