• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Answered How to strengthen army

dennise

Soothsayer
One of my FS is asking how to strengthen his army as they die quickly in battle. I'm a pacifist so I know nothing about troops. What advice should I give him?

MinervaOz

Enchanter
1. Through research. Each promotion either increases attributes (attack and/or defence ability) or adds new ones.
2. Defence - their ability to survive when attacked - can be increased by upgrading Sanctuary/Martial Monastery or with the expiring booster buildings Dwarven Armorer or Unleashed Unit Upgrade.
3. Boost their attack with the relevant AWs and specific booster buildings. Fire Phoenix increases the attack of all troops.

Understanding how individual troops operate helps in choosing the right ones for the situation. Troops within a particular type (eg light range, mages) aren't all the same - that applies to both your and enemy troops. That includes which troops move first, how far they move on each turn, and what their firing range is, as well as how each does in a particular match-up. It also helps to understand how the AI works for auto-fighting. Manual fighting, and starting a fight manually then moving to auto and watching how it plays out, are the best ways to learn, but if he doesn't have that option I'd recommend watching some of the You-Tube recordings. The much-missed Elvengems had some great videos; I think the archived site can still be accessed but I'm not sure if they are still there.

Valedoress

Alchemist
I have a Trading biased city so: Barracks, Training Ground, Merc Camp and only 2 Armouries. There are only 2 Ancient Wonders giving a Fighting benefit, Dragon Abbey (Mages) and Simia Sapiens (units production bonus) and to be fair these AW's are one of the few to exist in all 3 cities. To say this city is WEAK at fighting is a serious understatment.

However, as MinervaOz stated, the key is to understand how effective your different Troop types are Vs the enemy. For example a Light Range Troop choice from each of the 3 sources (Barracks, Tr. Ground & Merc Camp) will fair diffently against each of it's enemy counterparts and against the other Troop choices it has to face. But you have to learn/understand the mechanics of the Fighting system to spot the best tactics. Quite often those squishy Cerberuses, Mages or Rangers are going to get royally hammered BUT knowing the enemy will focus on destroying these units can give your other units all the time they need to kick butt.

My fighting is Auto only. Plenty of Tournament, Spire and Provinces have taught me the ropes. Armed with this knowledge I can honestly say that sometimes this city surprises even me!

Valedoress

Alchemist
Oh and don't forget your Fire Phoenix for 50% damage bonus across the board. 1 Pet Food / day and a D-111a Time Warp is all you need to easily get through 3 or 4 rounds of Tournament in a single day. When combined with the Spire you get an awful lot of 'bang for your buck'.

Brown Bear is a great way to quickly replenish lost Troops and if you can throw a few Time Boosters at the most depleted you will be back to strength in no time.

The Twilight Phoenix at 5% recovery is a bit disappointing but I still have 1 in my Fighting city... though it's getting a bit skinny... ;)

MinervaOz

Enchanter
And don't forget Vitality Surges - the Witch Doctor produces a 10% one daily, and the Moon Vendor (if fully connected) a 5% one. These add up over time. And of course the bigger ones are craftable. They won't help win battles but they make your troops go further.

Jake65

Sage
I suspect the Moon Vendor is a wee piece of the Dwarven Citadel set, that gives Heavy Ranged barracks troops.
Just had a look, the full set is needed though for the vitality surge, it's the last piece bonus

MoonVendor.jpg