• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Have combats become harder?

MottyDon

Dreamer
Not sure if anyone has noticed this, but our Fellowship has.
We have fond in both Tourney and spire, that combat rounds are a lot harder and losing at lot more troops and also easy battles early on.
Anyone else experiencing this?

MinervaOz

Enchanter
If you're losing more troops (I assume you mean the percentage of troops lost in a single battle?) and even entire battles, that you expected to win, the reason is almost always unfavourable terrain. Sometimes it's the AI just being stupid. If you play on browser, try fighting manually, or at least scouting first. (Nothing you can do on the app, sadly)

If you're seeing more difficult enemy troop combinations I'd say it's just bad luck - RNG being RNG - and it will eventually even out. I've seen some unexpectedly tricky combinations in easier tournaments, and a lot (well, more than I expected) of very easy combinations in the harder ones like Dust.

You don't say what chapter you're in. There is a point in the Spire where battles become harder because 3 star enemies are introduced, while most of your troops are still 2 star. (I think it's Orcs but someone else can confirm that). That doesn't apply to the tourney though.

Laurelin

Sorcerer
Can confirm that all-3* Enemy Units are introduced into the Spire at the start of Ch.VIII Orcs & Goblins. It makes a noticeable difference.

Inno seems sometimes to test alternative Combat parameters on some Live players/Cities. Maybe 12-18 months ago, I saw a full 9-week Tourney cycle which had non-standard and much more random (3-5 types in most battles) Enemy Squad combos than are typical of post-2020 Tourneys. Even using Manual Combat, that 9-week cycle was very costly in Unit losses.

The Spire seems to use Enemy Troops similar to the ongoing Tourney, so that, too, was more difficult & costly during those 9 weeks.

I haven't seen the same again since, although I have seen somewhat different Battle Maps being used occasionally, too.

At present, I am seeing no unexpected difficulty hike, just for info.

MottyDon

Dreamer
Thanks for your replies.
I'm currently in Woodelves and have been for a while.
Never had issues before with combat, always knew how far to push them before losing too many.
Used to fight around 13 to 16 proveniences in Tourney, each round, but now getting defeated on the 7th.
Other Players in the Fellowship are in different chapters and they are experiencing the same.
The last 2 Tourney's is when it started happening if that helps.
A new Tourney is coming up soon so we'll see how savage that is.

Allergill

Novice
They certainly have. I have completed every Spire for ages, but they are getting harder to fight! Its costing me a fortune in negotiations. Dwarven Armorer, feeding the Fire Phoenix, Enlightened Light Range and, Magnificent Mage Multiplier, together with the appropriate troops has started to fail. I've been doing this long enough to know what has worked before is now failing. :(

m4rt1n

Adept
Terrain of the battle is significant, this can only be accessed on PC, but I and others have requested a terrain overview on both versions when selecting troops for a long time. Sometime the terrain is so extreme there is only one exit point and all is cannon fodder whatever you place, seeing it would allow for instance placing a Orc Warrior at the open point and the rest as long ranged whatever the enemy.

If on PC practice on the first round and first few provinces using manual fight to learn how terrain and troop placement works as losses here are very small compared to overall squad size.

SkyRider99

Immortal
Sometime the terrain is so extreme there is only one exit point and all is cannon fodder whatever you place
I wonder if this is RNG at its worst, or the deliberate work of sadistic devs who enjoy seeing us get destroyed?

1691540009843.png