• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

City Redesign

DeletedUser6813

This is specifically for a neighbour, posted here as Elvenar sensibly stops people from sending links to non-FS members, and I don't want to ask for the player's email. It's bit rough and ready, and I did go completely nuclear of wiping out all the old culture buildings. Well, it looks like the Royal Restoration spell isn't coming anytime soon, so old event buildings are pretty replaceable. If any has drastic improvements, go for it :)

Okay, this is where you are at the moment:

http://www.elvenarchitect.com/city/planner/7f3e2b1456a440c0ad395b5df74f5fff/

How did I get that? From https://www.elvenstats.com/
And also worth bookmarking: https://www.gamersgemsofknowledge.com/
I need to do my own reorg in the very near future - will be finishing Halflings chapter in the next week, and moving into Elementals. So I'll be quietly tearing my hair out in a few days time.

Going forward from here:

Step 0: General and ongoing: help all the people in your fellowship on a daily basis. Also local active neighbours who help you. On second thoughts, help *ALL* your neighbours. The extra gold will be useful in picking up goods from the wholesaler, and forming new neighbour relationships.
Scout, scout and scout some more. Focus on taking provinces, by negotiation (using goods). Notepads and spreadsheets may well be helpful here. By the end of the chapter, aim to get to the provinces where you need orcs to negotiate (in the next chapter).
Even out the shape of the city as you get more expansions.

Step 1: Sell Marble, Steel, Crystal, Scrolls, Elixir and Dust Manufactories. Sell that Dwarf Portal too - you're in Fairy Chapter now.

Step 2: Rebuild. This is going to be tough - it involves focusing on buildings for your boosted goods, building some new residences and manufactories, maxing out and reorging your residences, manufactories, workshops and barracks.
And ditching a lot of your culture buildings in favour of rebasing it around Temples of Holy Fire. In my plan below, I've assumed that you're going to pick up 3 expansions along the way. If you pick up more, add in more Temples of Holy Fire.

I reckon it'll take around 4-6 weeks, and that you'll probably hit research blockages while you're rebuilding. Hence the Tome of Secrets to dump KP whilst you'e waiting to access new research.

In terms of sequence, build the chapter buildings *last*. You can use that space as wiggle room. Sell off the old culture as you replace it with Temples of Holy Fire. Expand and move the residences around the top of the city, and workshops to accommodate the increased supply needs, and manufactories to cope with you scouting and taking provinces more.

http://www.elvenarchitect.com/city/planner/b546cc7dd22e4d899f72f9f2ff0ca0ef/

You've not got any Armories at the moment. You will need the orcs from higher level armories in the next Orcs and Goblins chapter to upgrade your workshops, and take the more distant provinces on the map. So keep scouting and taking provinces.

Happy building!

DeletedUser5976

May I add that selling the Dwarf portal should be done when they get the quest for it, though if they have completed the Advanced Scouting the quest after that one should be selling the portal.

And perhaps a personal preference but for KP dumping my go to choice would be the Golden Abyss. But I am not planning on building the Tome except to tear it down for broken shards so as I said perhaps personal preference.

You advice to keep scouting and unlocking provinces. Which is a valid strategy, but one drawback is, if you reach provinces you need orcs to unlock and you're not producing orcs yet, you will not be able to complete some of the event quests, that asks you to solve encounters or unlock provinces. So I would keep some provinces unlocked just for this purpose.

Neat city design by the way.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser6848

If you don’t mind a more grid like layout I reckon there is a bit more you / they could do to optimise that layout. I’m only of ch 4 so I may be missing some complications specific to guest races, but:

1. The residences mostly have their long side against the roads. You really want to switch orientation so the roads run along the short side. That needs some new long straight roads running in the opposite direction.

2. There is an odd mix of workshop levels if I’m reading it right. Fewer, higher level buildings are almost always the way to go. I would cut out some of the low level workshops and suggest they concentrate on getting one or two to max. With added advantage that it’s easier to arrange a city efficiently with buildings of the same shape. Or have you focused on a new layout but with the buildings they already have?

And yeah they should definitely ditch all those non-boosted manufactories if they are in a reasonably active fellowship.

I reckon all the moving things around, selling and upgrading is going to be a lot of fun!

If you would like, I could have a fiddle in Architect and see what else might be doable?

DeletedUser6813

Go for it. I've just spent 2 hours in Architect trying to work out my Elementals layout. There was coffee. Lots of it.

The first map is the "before", the second one is the "after". There is probably scope for improvement and squeeze in another Temple of Holy Fire. Though I'll be dashed if I could work out how, and the margin of improvement / coffee ratio was too low for me to get too worried about it.