• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Already Suggested [City] Item Rotation

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser490

[Summary] - Ability to rotate buildings/items thereby allowing better working cities.

[Details] - Not much to clarify, except to say having the ability to rotate buildings/items would greatly enhance our cities; allowing us to fill in many spots which are currently being wasted.

[Reasons for implementing] - It's the next logical step in this game.

[Impact on other game features] - None that I can think of.

DeletedUser

We don't have 3-d objects that can be rendered from any point of view, rather we have one isometric view for each building or, occasionally, the parts thereof.

Being able to rotate the buildings would DOUBLE the amount of data that had to be downloaded each time somebody looked at your city.

Equally to the point, doing the jigsaw puzzle thing is part of the fun.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser3

Hi Tiaga, welcome to the forum and thanks for posting your idea :)

In their live Q & A session (click for link), our Game Designers, Timon and Oliver ruled out being able to rotate buildings in Elvenar for much the same reasons given by Katwijk above.

Will it be possible to rotate buildings? It would make easier to build my city.
This is a question we actually receive quite often. Now, the short answer is no. But here is why. Every city builder needs features that make placing buildings challenging. In Elvenar, this challenge comes mainly from two sources: The one is that most buildings need a street connection, and the other is that every building has a fixed shape. The combination of this makes it challenging to build an efficient city. Of course, the downside of every challenge is that sometimes it feels like a burden. If you could rotate the buildings, this would make things much easier. But the downside of a low challenge is: when it gets too easy, it also gets boring quite fast. So, since this "city puzzling" is a core mechanic in Elvenar, we never implemented any technical base to make it possible to rotate buildings.

DeletedUser330

How about being able to rotate the "camera"... ?

Or a birdseye view... ?

DeletedUser

A bird's eye view would be nice, if only so that we could chase down the odd bits of roadway. From a technical point of view, it wouldn't be all that hard to suppress the superstructure of the buildings, and leave just the foundations and tooltips.

But ... it would be both ugly and unrealistic. All of the cures that I can think of are worse than the disease.

DeletedUser1316

Hi guys -

As our wonderful Community Manager and Game Designers have answered the question regarding this idea in the above post(s) or by one of the links, I will be closing this thread and moving to the archive.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.