• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Secondary Cities!!!

DeletedUser5528

I know a problem the game designers have is that they are running out of space for new expansions. I have the solution! And it's more brilliant yet simple than you could have ever imagined! Make you're sitting down before you read this because this will blow you away! Hang on to your hat!

Create a secondary city!!! For future guest races (after the Elementals), when you click on the portal, your given the option to click over to your secondary city! Now the portal really is a portal! In the secondary city you can do anything. You can change the normal rules.

Let's say you have a "cave world" (maybe with cave trolls? or whatever guest race you'd like). That could be like a maze with many narrow passageways and many small guest race good buildings. Maybe expansion packs in that would be 3x8 or something. How about a mountain world (maybe rock giants? or whatever)? You could have that one on several different levels, more 3D looking. Maybe you have to open up passageways or stop the rock giants from throwing boulders down which block passageways and/or destroy your guest race goods.

How about a water world with sexy sirens or water nymphs or whatever? In that one you have to use boats to transport your guest race goods. How about a sky world? In that one you could have sky islands with giant weird-looking birds transporting the guest race goods from island to island. You wouldn't even have roads in that one (besides within the islands). How cool would that be? How about a castle world (knights maybe?)? In that, instead of guest race good buildings, you'd build stuff that's inside a castle to build your guest race goods. How about a volcano/fire world? Forest world? Dungeon world (undead anyone)? Ice/snow/tundra world? Desert world (giant sand worms maybe!?)? Swamp world? River world? Thick grass plains world? Ruins world? Put in or make up whatever guest race you think goes with those.

You can still have some guest race stuff in your normal city, but most of it would be in your secondary city. Later on, you could have players move some of their normal buildings over to the secondary city and this gives those buildings special powers for that world maybe? Maybe you could also incorporate into this that huge castle to the east of everyone's city that does nothing. Maybe you could also have a button in one of the corners of your normal/primary city that goes to the secondary city to make it easier to switch over. The possibilities are endless. You could go forever with this. When you reach the new guest race, you just get a totally new secondary city with a totally new world. Space would no longer be an issue!

DeletedUser5545

Good thinking! I'm in Fairies at the moment, and I can see myself losing interest if all I have to look forward to is a linear grind only to reach a point where I can't expand any further. As it is, I am fortunate that my interest is kept up by my colleagues in my Fellowship as the day-to-day mechanics of the game can be wearing.

A guest race portal functioning as an actual portal seems such a good idea - not just for the space problem - it would open up the game to more variety.

DeletedUser3781

Hidden expansions. Fifth dimension. Space pocket.
I hope they're working on it already :)

DeletedUser5528

How about a lightning world (dark and rainy with lots of lightning)? How about a wasteland world (like Mordor in Lord of the Rings)? How about an underwater world? You could seriously go on forever with this and it would constantly be different and exciting. Elvenar would never have to end.

DeletedUser

Consider for a moment that something like this requires a new creative team, which means hiring new people, which in turn means this "expansion" is available only to players who pay for it. Interesting as the idea is, you don't get things like this for free. And that means most players would be left out.

The idea appeals to me, but it's not a simple thing, and as soon as it became available, this game would cease to be Elvenar.

DeletedUser5528

I don't think they'd have to hire new people or charge people to reach the new worlds. For each guest race, all they would have to come up with is one new screen with one new background. They do something similar to this in the winter in fall events when they make the world snowy or leafy. Other than that, it's basically the same concept as the other guest races, just different size expansions, more different types of guest race buildings, more variables, etc. Each guest race gets more complicated and difficult as it is, right? This would just be the next step.

DeletedUser

@eversor What you are suggesting here is far more than 'a tweak here and a tweak there'. I have coding experience, and there's quite a lot more that goes into these things than I think you realize. This would be much more than "the next step" for Elvenar, this suggestion is a whole different game. But hey, don't get hung up on my opinion, I'm just one player. ;)

DeletedUser5528

Well, the snowy wonder world for the winter event or a leafy fall world they put in was a lot more than a "tweak"! They totally changed the main screen. How come they didn't charge us for that? Is the elementals just a tweak? They made tons of new buildings, new concepts, just for that. Those weren't just "tweaks". How come they don't charge us for that? In fact, they've had 7 guest races now, all with pretty major changes, new concepts, new buildings, etc. They didn't charge us for any of those. What about all the events and event buildings they constantly have? Those weren't just "tweaks". How come they didn't charge us more than that? How about the Fellowship Adventure? That's a whole new map screen!!! According to you that would take radical coding changes and more personnel. Yet they were able to create that brand new map screen without much difficulty. How come they didn't charge us more for that? If they can do a brand new map screen there, that's totally different than anything else (pretty racially different), why not another? Why is that one no big deal, but a new one requires a "whole new creative team"? I don't understand your logic.

DeletedUser5954

I hadn't read this before posting my thread about visiting other worlds.... its along very similar lines.... I had thought through the dwarven portal you could visit the dwarven world.... its still elvenar.... you still have to retain yr elven base.... but I had thought if it was a dwarven portal it makes sense to be visiting a dwarven world... but I suppose that doesn't exclude other stuff as well.... there just needs to be the will to extend the game, outside what someone described as a 'linear progression'..... :) If only we were computer programmers....

DeletedUser5528

The only problem with your specific idea is that the dwarves have been done. People have finished those years ago, so it's hard to go back and now redo it like you said. My idea was for future ones. It would still be elvenar, you would still have to retain your elven base, and it would still be linear progression.

DeletedUser5954

Hi again, if I could open a dwarven portal now, (I'm on halflings at the moment) or any of the other portals to visit other worlds, I would.... no hesitation. So I did dwarves ages ago..... no problem for me... and as for linear progression, if you reread my mail I was looking to extend the game outside just a linear progression. I have no idea about the programming implications, but I would have thought it must be possible.... open up the worlds we have had portals to first, that makes sense to me.... and then in the future maybe yr idea of other places like 'water world' and so on could be tried...... at least by starting with something familiar like dwarves, orcs or wood elves, they already have a lot of the buildings, characters, scenery perhaps, done in programming terms.... however its done, I think the idea is worth consideration, add a bit of variety.... :) Taff