• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Question World Map: Encounter Difficulty

CrazyWizard

Shaman
you forgot the advanced scout research techs :)
In the past that did not count, once you paid the coins a enemy SS was set and it sticked,
That said they have implemented a lot of changes to make things easier for especially beginners so I would not be suprised if that was changed and now those costs are recalculated afterwards. (tho you will not get the money back)

Basically there are 3 things affecting difficulty of map provinces:
- distance from your city (which is obviously fixed and you can do nothing about)
- number of advanced scouts (which reduces your enemy numbers and terefore also reduces negotiation costs)
These are all deriviates from the gold cost of a scout.
The more you scout + the further away from your city you scout the higher the gold cost.
Advance scouts influence the cost of your scout.

It's still a simple province cost x gold coins = x SS conversion.
In a similar fashion as x cold coins takes x time for the scout.

http://crazywizard.info/en/tnt_scout_times.html

Gargon667

Mentor
In the past that did not count, once you paid the coins a enemy SS was set and it sticked,
That said they have implemented a lot of changes to make things easier for especially beginners so I would not be suprised if that was changed and now those costs are recalculated afterwards. (tho you will not get the money back)

No I don´t believe it will change retroactively, but of course as you say hard to say if something has changed.

These are all deriviates from the gold cost of a scout.
The more you scout + the further away from your city you scout the higher the gold cost.
Advance scouts influence the cost of your scout.

It's still a simple province cost x gold coins = x SS conversion.
In a similar fashion as x cold coins takes x time for the scout.

So you would agree that the number of provinces scouted will be also influencing the difficulty of a map fight? So you could have for example a bunch of hard fights in a ring and then get very hard fights in the same ring later on, even if distance from town, advanced scouts and SS have not changed?

CrazyWizard

Shaman
So you would agree that the number of provinces scouted will be also influencing the difficulty of a map fight? So you could have for example a bunch of hard fights in a ring and then get very hard fights in the same ring later on, even if distance from town, advanced scouts and SS have not changed?
Yes each time you scout a province the scout becomes more expensive, even if they are in the same ring.

This is less visible later in game as values only junp by 100K so it takes quite a bit of scouts to jump to the next value. but in the early game, you see the price jump on every single scout, since enemy SS is based on the scout price, difficulties can vary in the same ring.

Gargon667

Mentor
Yes each time you scout a province the scout becomes more expensive, even if they are in the same ring.

This is less visible later in game as values only junp by 100K so it takes quite a bit of scouts to jump to the next value. but in the early game, you see the price jump on every single scout, since enemy SS is based on the scout price, difficulties can vary in the same ring.

Yes that much I know, what I am not sure about is, if the enemy number is based on that gold price (and therefore also increasing) or based on a separate calculation?

CrazyWizard

Shaman
Yes that much I know, what I am not sure about is, if the enemy number is based on that gold price (and therefore also increasing) or based on a separate calculation?
It was a post years ago from the developers (in the first few months of the game) and they said it was coin based only.

Jude the Brave

Adventurer
I am now in the last 1/4 of Ch.3.
All the scouted areas of my World Map have been completed & my completed provinces are surrounded by Yellow Medium un-scouted provinces.
I have been hanging out for the next SS upgrade research so that all the Yellow Medium provinces surrounding me would change down to Green Easy.
But I have just finished & Activated the SS Upgrade research..... & nothing happened on the World Map.
I am still surrounded by Yellow medium un-scouted provinces.

It looks like the next Advanced Scouts research is the first one in Ch.4
But it is covered by a Chest requiring me to complete another 8 provinces before I can do the Advanced Scouts.

So, I am being forced to Scout 8 Yellow Medium provinces, & thereby locking them into Medium difficulty.
Before I can do the Advanced Scouts research. Which, if I understand your previous explanations correctly, is the necessary 2nd trigger, (along with SS Upgrage [seeing as it didn't work on it's own]), that will hopefully make any remaining un-scouted surrounding provinces, change down to Green Easy difficulty.

Or does it mean that Yellow Medium difficulty, is the 'easiest' difficulty I will have from now on.??

Either way, I feel tricked, & trapped in an unfair situation.

Herodite

Forum mod extraordinaire
Elvenar Team
@Jude the Brave The Advanced Scout Research will indeed reduce the difficulty of your surrounding provinces with each Chapter. This does not mean however, that the number of Provinces needed to complete the Chapter will all be easy. There are times where you'll have to dip your toe into more difficult provinces in order to gain the required amount.

Kind Regards

Herodite.

RainbowElvira

Sorcerer
All the scouted areas of my World Map have been completed & my completed provinces are surrounded by Yellow Medium un-scouted provinces.
I have been hanging out for the next SS upgrade research so that all the Yellow Medium provinces surrounding me would change down to Green Easy.
But I have just finished & Activated the SS Upgrade research..... & nothing happened on the World Map.
I am still surrounded by Yellow medium un-scouted provinces.

The color of the province indicates the ratio of your troops size vs. the enemy troop size. This ratio is not the same for every encounter of the same color, it is a range. If your close to the upper bound already, one single squad size upgrade may not be enough to move below the lower bound and change the color.

So, I am being forced to Scout 8 Yellow Medium provinces, & thereby locking them into Medium difficulty.
Before I can do the Advanced Scouts research. Which, if I understand your previous explanations correctly, is the necessary 2nd trigger, (along with SS Upgrage [seeing as it didn't work on it's own]), that will hopefully make any remaining un-scouted surrounding provinces, change down to Green Easy difficulty.

Number of scouted provinces, distance from province and number of advanced scouts influence enemy squad size. Squad size upgrades increase your squad size. The ratio enemy vs. own troop size determines the color of the ring.

Or does it mean that Yellow Medium difficulty, is the 'easiest' difficulty I will have from now on.??

I'm past chapter 17 and only have very easy and easy province.

Jude the Brave

Adventurer
Thank you RainbowElvira, I am sort of understanding, but sort of not, also.

Is there anything else I can do to influence the ratio in my favour.?
Like upgrade my Armories, &/or Barracks, &/or Training Ground.?
Or ....??? Anything.?

Lelanya

Mentor
Hi Jude
Upgrading the Barracks or Training Grounds will train troops Faster, and if the upgrade involves a size change for the Barracks then it will unlock another slot. Upgrading the Armories will allow you to train more troops at once, so slow down both buildings. Both sets are desirable but neither will affect the colour of the provinces. You will have to push through some harder areas to get out of the chapter. Best of luck, consider that we have all been where you are and made it through. :)

sail0r

Spellcaster

Or ....??? Anything.?
Hi Jude,

I was in the same position as you were and solved it very easily. The problem is called overscouting. You have scouted too many provinces and so the next ones are difficult. If you check your research tree, the advanced scouts of the next chapter show you how many provinces that chapter requires. You should try to keep up with that. If you do that or be slightly above that, all provinces to scout will be very ease or easy.

So I suggest that you stop scouting until you are at the pace that the game suggests and you will have no problems whatsoever.

CrazyWizard

Shaman
Hi Jude,

I was in the same position as you were and solved it very easily. The problem is called overscouting. You have scouted too many provinces and so the next ones are difficult. If you check your research tree, the advanced scouts of the next chapter show you how many provinces that chapter requires. You should try to keep up with that. If you do that or be slightly above that, all provinces to scout will be very ease or easy.

So I suggest that you stop scouting until you are at the pace that the game suggests and you will have no problems whatsoever.

I would say enjoy the game and feel free to scout as much as you like,
but as a result you have to understand that you can no longer fight those provincies.

On the other hand you can pretty much negotiate anything up to 222 provices unfore you unlock orks and unlimited after you unlock them.

Some buildings / things there power depends on the amount of finished provinces. so I prefer to scout away.
But you have to understand the limitations. scout beyond a certain range and negotiations becomes the only viable option.

I have 712 provincies finished/unlocked. you'll never get there when you want to stay in the green zone.
it takes many years to get that far and the longer you wait the longer it takes to unlock everything. especially since every new added world map expension is taking more and more provinces.

Jude the Brave

Adventurer
Thanks everyone,

I have not over-scouted. Not this time.

I did that very early in the game when I was curious & excited & wanted to see further & do more.
I also was not into fighting & have never played a fighting game, so negotiated all encounters.
Then suddenly found myself surrounded by Medium/Hard/& Very Hard provinces. Scouted into Medium. Ran out of Goods to negotiate with.
Suddenly I had to learn how to fight, but surrounded my Medium & harder, that was impossible.
Did lots of reading & studying about fighting on Forum etc, but it was only during a Tournament that I could get any experience. The normal World Map was WAY out of my league, while the numbers & types of fighting squads available to me were so few & limited.

The first time my surrounding Yellow Mediums suddenly turned Easy Green, was a godsend. I could actually move forward & was slowly learning how to fight. I now fight all the time, except on the odd occasion it looks impossible or the Unit casualty cost is too high. My hard lessons taught me that fighting is better than 'wasting' Goods better used for upgrades, when there is another way, when Unit casualies are not too great.

I have learnt the lesson of patience & not scouting beyond the Green.

This is why I am now feeling cheated & frustrated:- at being forced to scout into the Yellow. When I have been so careful not to.
It is the Research Tree that will force this, just so I can move into the next chapter: Ch.4, & only then be able to do Advanced Scouts. That will presumably make any remaining surrounding provinces - Green.

I have just gone back to the World Map & counted, - I am surrounded by 18 Yellow 'available' provinces - so I will have to solve 8 Mediums to be allowed to move to Ch.4 & then do Advanced Scouts, to finally bring the remaining 10 surrounding provinces down to Green Easy.

I can only assume now, that this situation will happen at the end of every chapter. Because I am somehow 'out of sinc' because of what I did right at the beginning of the game, & can never get back 'in sync', even though I have corrected my behaviour for some time now.

FieryArien

Necromancer
I can only assume now, that this situation will happen at the end of every chapter. Because I am somehow 'out of sinc' because of what I did right at the beginning of the game, & can never get back 'in sync', even though I have corrected my behaviour for some time now.
Nope, don’t worry. You did no permanent damage, you are not out of sync. New provinces are now prized the same as if you’ve never over-scouted. (Prize determines the amount of enemies.)

It’s really just about the first chapters being totally of balance when it comes to provinces difficulty. It gets balanced better any time now. Right in the upcoming chapter or in the next one for sure.

Deleted User - 341074

Hey Jude, don't make it bad. Take a sad song and make it better, remember to let her into your heart. Then you can start to make it better.
Hey Jude, don't be afraid, you were made to go out and get her. The minute you let her under your skin, then you begin to make it better.

Na, na, na-na-na, na
Na-na-na, na
Hey Jude, oh, Jude
Na, na, na, na-na-na, na
Na-na-na, na
Hey Jude, oh, Jude
You'll make it, Jude
Na, na, na, na-na-na, na
Oh, hey Jude
Na, na, na, na-na-na, na
Na-na-na, na
Sing it, Jude
Yeah, yeah
Na, na, na, na-na-na, na
Sing it, Judey-Jude
Na-na-na, na
Hey Jude
Yeah, yeah, yeah
Na-na-na, na
Oh, yeah
Na-na-na, na, na
Oh yeah, Jude
Sing it to me
Na, na, na, na-na-na, na
Na-na-na, oh yeah
Oh, ooh-ooh-ooh
Jude
Na, na, na, na-na-na, na
Na-na-na, na
Hey Jude
Na, na, na, na-na-na, na, oh-oh
Na-na-na, na
Hey Jude, Jude, Jude
Na, na, na, na-na-na, na
Sing it, Jude, sing it
Oh, oh, oh, whoa
Na, da-da, ah, la-di-di-da
Oh, whoa, whoa
Na, na, na
Na, na, na-na, na-na-na, na

They sure don't make em like they used to...

Gargon667

Mentor

Or ....??? Anything.?

The most important thing you can do is not to worry about it, this is a very small and unimportant part of your troubles ahead.

Overscouting is actually good for you if you want to progress quickly. The more provinces you have, the more tourney you can play and the more goodies you get for improving even more. The costs for the provinces are tiny compared to all of the more important costs.
And definitely upgrade your military as much as possible (max barracks, try to produce troops 24/7 in all available troop producing buildings. Upgrade your Needles and Martial Monastery etc... In the beginning catering is a perfectly suitable way of playing tourneys, but they more chapters you play the less you can avoid fighting. And it takes a while t upgrade the military, so you better keep at it from the start, makes it much easier later on.