• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Communication World Chat

Would you be in favour of a world chat?

• yes

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • no

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • don't care

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DeletedUser

There's also a forum dynamic that's nicely illustrated at http://www.flamewarriorsguide.com/warriorshtm/howlers.htm. Sometimes it's not YOU at all, but rather than you're dredging up a subject that's already been beaten to death.
I'm going to strongly assume you are making the point that "howlers" are just as common within chats as they are in forums. Otherwise I may feel slightly disturbed by this comment...

I agree that it would be nice to chat to individual players without the need to use the mail system. That would be a much better way to communicate with neighbours and potential trade partners. So far no one has ever responded to my mails (and I've sent out several). Perhaps I'm just unlucky though. :rolleyes:

Discussing such matters in a global chat could get very confusing and chaotic especially when considering that we have no current means of stating where we are within the world map (like coordinates for example).

DeletedUser415

My opinion is that I really see no value in this type of game for a world chat.
I believe the devs have a lot more to worry about and implement for the game (i.e. Correcting bugs, new tech tree's)
There are many other ideas that have been brought forward in the forum and acknowledged by the Elevenar Team that the majority of people contributing on the forums would like to see in place that would be more beneficial to the game rather then a world chat.

DeletedUser

This game needs WORLD CHAT. Why?

We have guild chat, but, if we are not in any guild, and we want to create new guild, we need to advertise that guild, but how??? we cant, because we dont have world chat...

This game will be much better with world chat, has a lot to learn from other players, new experiences...

But first, very important for young players who wants to share their guild with other players, when you are "young" player alone in your guild, no one can see you.

Thank you all :)

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 75

DeletedUser

Hi Caras, this idea was suggested here.

Also, as regards fellowships and finding new members, and potential members looking for fellowships, I posted a suggestion here.

The game is in dire need of a better system for fellowship recruitment and also management.

-edited to say I had to enter the code view to get the links to work o_O

DeletedUser1316

Hi guys -

I am going to merge this thread with the world chat idea. That is the best place to discuss this topic.

Thank you, Caras, hope to see you over in ideas shaping the idea. :)

DeletedUser

A world chat would be good for the many reasons already stated. So why hasn't it been implemented yet?

DeletedUser219

Because I wouldn't talk to the world any more than I talk to my fellowship.

DeletedUser

And you can't throw folks out of world chat for being idiots, nor for being a potty mouth, so you're stuck with a resource intensive BAN/IGNORE list, and an obligation for the Game Moderators to monitor the world chat. That's a LOT of overhead for scant benefit.

DeletedUser

And you can't throw folks out of world chat for being idiots, nor for being a potty mouth, so you're stuck with a resource intensive BAN/IGNORE list, and an obligation for the Game Moderators to monitor the world chat. That's a LOT of overhead for scant benefit.
Not necessarily. Just add a censor filter for bad words, an /ignore function to ignore the trolls, and a disclaimer that anyone participating in World Chat does so at their own risk.

CrazyWizard

Shaman
I never experienced much issues with a world chat, off course you need a mod, but those mods could be regular players who are on the chat to much anyway.

even in another game where there is virtually no mod whatsoever there arent much issues, offcourse there is the ocasional troll, but thats easily solved if the players decide to just ignore him.

Even tho, some people know where the single active mod is, and when things do get out of hand, they just signal that single mod, and he solves it.

Even FoE has a world chat and I dont really see much issues there (not that I watch it a lot)
What a world chat can accomplish is an easy way for same minded people to find a brotherhood for there liking. instead of random gambles and see as we go.

pertm

Seeker
When I first came to elvenar I was surprised that it did not have a world chat. It would be the easiest way of finding fellowship for a new player

Deleted User - 1634960

I can see positives and negatives in this, as a player and as a moderator.
In a PVP world, the world chat is used mostly to taunt other players and to whine about being attacked. That, thankfully, would not be an issue here.
In our world, the chat would be used mostly so players in the same timezone could actually talk to each other. This is a major plus, as ingame my FS members are mostly not from my timezone, and those that are don't play at the same time of day as I do. :p
As a moderator, I would rather not have to spend my time making sure that players are courteous to each other, as I am spending a lot of time already answering your tickets, and trying to make sure that you don't have to wait too long for those answers. If I were getting paid, it wouldn't matter, because I could just put in for overtime, but since I'm a volunteer...:rolleyes:

DeletedUser2075

Dear Elvenar,

I don't know about everyone else, but I would like to see a World Chat Channel and also a Fellowship Chat Channel such as FoE has. The game is very nice but it is becoming so "BORING", because you cannot talk with anyone!!

Edited: Zanyah - 2016-07-13 - Merged the above with this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser1295

Dear Elvenar,

I don't know about everyone else, but I would like to see a World Chat Channel and also a Fellowship Chat Channel such as FoE has. The game is very nice but it is becoming so "BORING", because you cannot talk with anyone!!

There is a Fellowship Chat: By being a part of a Fellowship you can use the chat system to communicate with all your fellows, either to ask help for your city or just simply to say hello everyday. Source: Elvenar Wiki.

The right side of your Elvenar window shows the Fellowship Chat icon (see pict), by clicking on it the Fellowship chat window will open ;)

Chat_Icon.jpg

DeletedUser487

While I was reading this, I thought about a service I use called Discord, basically Skype for gamers. If anyone wants, I can set up a channel for Elvenar which could serve as a world chat?

DeletedUser1295

While I was reading this, I thought about a service I use called Discord, basically Skype for gamers. If anyone wants, I can set up a channel for Elvenar which could serve as a world chat?

I took a look at Discord and this might be nice add-on (including personal privacy!) for all those who would like to broaden their Elvenar contacts ;)

DeletedUser

[Summary]
Introduce world chat.
[Details] -
Another chat tab similar to the current one for fellowship chat. Also I think it would be good if the chat box(s) could be resized and moved around to suit your play style
[Reasons for implementing]
This would give you more people to talk to, especially for people like me who are not in the same timezone as all their fellows.
It could also be useful for finding suitable players to join your fellowship.
It would add interest and fun to gameplay
More and better communication is always good

[Impact on other game features]
Can't think of any if you're wanting programming implications. Except maybe a (very) small increase in the amount needed to download to play.
Its a no brainer not to implement, as world sizes decrease you are having to relocate people just to manage with the trade aspect of game. You also need to lower the cut for trader so none fellows or discovered can have at least a good punch chance of making it. level one silk gives 15 per 3 hours but within 6 squares players are asked for up to 800 to complete a sector, trade off on 800 silk in market with trader fee for stage 1 produce is 4.8k,

DeletedUser

?
Would you be in favour of a world chat?
Poll closed Jan 4, 2016.

1. yes
    3 vote(s)
    42.9%

2. no
    2 vote(s)
    28.6%

3. don't care
    2 vote(s)
    28.6%
    Brexit? yet AGAIN :rolleyes:

DeletedUser2188

I say No..... I have played many games that have had world chat.. It is a nightmare to moderate.... Everyone has a different idea as to what is or isn't offensive. ... I have been a Chat Mod on several games... The abuse of Power that some Mods have had is way out of control.. Many people show favoritism toward their friends and/ or Fellowship/ Clan/ Guild members... Things can get ugly real fast..

DeletedUser

Yes they can, i do not dispute that, but silence kills a lot more games than communication, just knowing who is on in your area is a start , rather than trying to plan a strategic game, without all the intel needed