• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Wonky Walter's Questline

DeletedUser2699

AFAIK the rewards tend to be a chapter ahead, so while you are correct, it gives me something to do and saves a little room, so why not? The quest is not slowing me down in any other meaningful way, why would you not get something that is further ahead, given the chance? By the same logic I should not bother with Wayfarers tavers, because snails are next ;-p
I am not saying that you should not attempt this and all quests, but depending on your level, you need to carefully consider the costs.
The diamond culture building I can currently buy is 1000 culture compared to wonky tent 1150. This may be a step ahead but not a significant one. Given how much culture I need to to get my %boost up, 150 will make not real difference. I could install a couple of little space fillers to make the difference. For many lower level players the effort required for wonky quest is pretty extreme because they don't have the dozens of workshops and goods buildings to be able to do quest sections in one hit, let alone prepare in advance. So the quest is slowing them down significantly for a building which while helpful is not brilliant and the rewards along the way are pretty insignificant compared to the effort.

DeletedUser

The importance of keeping at least a balance in your buildings becomes quite obvious when you actually run the numbers when considering the value of culture, spells and their cumulative nature. I currently produce nearly 5 times my base supply amount from 1 spell and my culture boost, as they act as % multipliers. I certainly could not fit 5 times as many workshops into my city to produce at the same rate!

How long can you sustain that for? What is the maths about having to do tournaments to get relics, to cast a spell? Why would you bother with spells and culture boost when you don't need to? Relics are a limited resource, a properly balanced city without the crap (MA/Armouries/AW etc) will always be better than one that relies on a limited resource.

I always have enough of what I need to not get bottlenecked (other than KP's and in dwarves, but that was poor calculations on my part, not a lack of capacity to not get bottlenecked)

DeletedUser

I am not saying that you should not attempt this and all quests, but depending on your level, you need to carefully consider the costs.
The diamond culture building I can currently buy is 1000 culture compared to wonky tent 1150. This may be a step ahead but not a significant one. Given how much culture I need to to get my %boost up, 150 will make not real difference. I could install a couple of little space fillers to make the difference. For many lower level players the effort required for wonky quest is pretty extreme because they don't have the dozens of workshops and goods buildings to be able to do quest sections in one hit, let alone prepare in advance. So the quest is slowing them down significantly for a building which while helpful is not brilliant and the rewards along the way are pretty insignificant compared to the effort.

Yep. Totally confused. Why are you comparing doing a quest to buying something with diamonds?
What makes you think it is slowing them down significantly? In earlier chapters I had room for more lv1 workshops and frankly the quest line encourages you to end up with MORE supplies, not less. The cost of workshops is insignificant compared to the return you get for doing the quests, instead of 3 hourly, people are encouraged to do more and more often, thus total gain. The quests ask you to BUILD them, it doesn't require you to give them away, so you still get to use them on what you were doing before..

Well I got my tent. To say I'm disappointed would be an understatement. All that work and only a few magic spells and a very boring tent, that just takes up valuable space and does not fit into the theme of an Elvenar city in the slightest and only worth only 1150 culture at the end. Someone said this quest was to divert us away from the disastrous update to the battles. I think they are right! Compared to the Solstice challenge where you could win 10 to 20 Magic spells/Runes/KP in the one go....this had all the excitement of limp lettuce.

Not to be just on the negative, it was a pleasure to do some more challenges that didn't result in just the same old coins and tools.

DeletedUser2699

Yep. Totally confused. Why are you comparing doing a quest to buying something with diamonds?
What makes you think it is slowing them down significantly? In earlier chapters I had room for more lv1 workshops and frankly the quest line encourages you to end up with MORE supplies, not less. The cost of workshops is insignificant compared to the return you get for doing the quests, instead of 3 hourly, people are encouraged to do more and more often, thus total gain. The quests ask you to BUILD them, it doesn't require you to give them away, so you still get to use them on what you were doing before..
You assume that everyone who plays a game like this spends their entire time playing the game. Unless they are very well advanced with many workshops and goods buildings. The aim of any reward quest like this is of course designed to make people do better, but that simply means getting them to play for more hours. Somebody said a cash grab. I disagree. It is, as you would expect, a time grab.
You rather assume by saying "people are encouraged to do more and more often, thus total gain" that people's time is rather worthless. I'm sorry you feel that way. I feel my time is precious and valuable, so asking me to use up a large quantity of it simply sitting clicking every 5 minutes is certanly not a "total gain" for me.

DeletedUser

You assume that everyone who plays a game like this spends their entire time playing the game. Unless they are very well advanced with many workshops and goods buildings. The aim of any reward quest like this is of course designed to make people do better, but that simply means getting them to play for more hours. Somebody said a cash grab. I disagree. It is, as you would expect, a time grab.
You rather assume by saying "people are encouraged to do more and more often, thus total gain" that people's time is rather worthless. I'm sorry you feel that way. I feel my time is precious and valuable, so asking me to use up a large quantity of it simply sitting clicking every 5 minutes is certanly not a "total gain" for me.

Confused again. Total gain refers to your comment that they would slow down if they competed. My claim is they would speed up (as you pointed out) due to spending more time playing.
I don't get why you are playing this game, if your time is too precious to make it with this quest. I work more than full time, am renovating my house and still managed it pretty easy. The key is not time spent, but productive time spent. (and planning) I didn't watch the 5 minute productions, I just checked in while I was doing other things.

DeletedUser363

How long can you sustain that for? What is the maths about having to do tournaments to get relics, to cast a spell? Why would you bother with spells and culture boost when you don't need to? Relics are a limited resource, a properly balanced city without the crap (MA/Armouries/AW etc) will always be better than one that relies on a limited resource.
If you don't use the MA you cannot assume to know how others use it. A lot don't use spells every day...just when the boost is needed, so not as many runes are required. I would rather use runes and have some benefit from them than have hundreds sat in my MH, but that is every player's choice.

I know players like you, that have scoffed at the MA since it's arrival, some of whom are now using it and see a benefit....each to his or her own

DeletedUser363

The importance of keeping at least a balance in your buildings becomes quite obvious when you actually run the numbers
I'm playing a game, I have plenty of time, I don't need to run the numbers to keeps me 'happy'. If there was a problem with my attitude towards 'the numbers' I wouldn't be half way through the Orcs by now. I have not used diamonds to progress in the game, and stopped using them months ago. Maybe when you have been playing the game longer you will see there is more flexibility than counting the numbers....unless the devs muck it up any further!

DeletedUser2699

Confused again. Total gain refers to your comment that they would slow down if they competed. My claim is they would speed up (as you pointed out) due to spending more time playing.
I don't get why you are playing this game, if your time is too precious to make it with this quest. I work more than full time, am renovating my house and still managed it pretty easy. The key is not time spent, but productive time spent. (and planning) I didn't watch the 5 minute productions, I just checked in while I was doing other things.
I'm glad to hear you didn't spend the time. With plenty of workshops you probably only spent an hour or so back and forth on the 5min productions. I agree planning is crucial, but the basic premise remains that tasks with many repetitions are simply designed to have players playing for more time.
Also on your total confusion about the value of the quest. Its about the value of the final tent reward. It is quite comparable to a diamond building available to me right now, not in the next chapter.

DeletedUser

... Its about the value of the final tent reward. It is quite comparable to a diamond building available to me right now, not in the next chapter.

So? Your conclusion being that people should spend diamonds, rather than effort on a reward that will be obsolete soon (either one?)

DeletedUser2378

At a certain point the rate of gaining relics drops hard, because scouting takes a long time and provinces become too hard to fight and can't negotiate them without orcs. Negotiating gets insanely expensive too.

So if you have kept using that MA a lot, you might actually lack the relics for Wonky.

Killiak,
yes, you're so right that at very high levels that is the case
My reply, though, was to oldskoolrx7 - & I think that's not the case with that person!
:)

DeletedUser2699

I'm playing a game, I have plenty of time, I don't need to run the numbers to keeps me 'happy'. If there was a problem with my attitude towards 'the numbers' I wouldn't be half way through the Orcs by now. I have not used diamonds to progress in the game, and stopped using them months ago. Maybe when you have been playing the game longer you will see there is more flexibility than counting the numbers....unless the devs muck it up any further!
I am just playing a game too. I only ran the numbers to compare what could be done with plenty of culture compared to culture is not important (although I am still unclear what that actually means). I'm not sure how long I will be able to maintain my culture and spell boost approach, but so far so good and I am happy with the way things are working for me. I avoid spending any diamonds and I don't spend all my time on the game.
It works for me.

DeletedUser2699

So? Your conclusion being that people should spend diamonds, rather than effort on a reward that will be obsolete soon (either one?)
No my conclusion is certainly not to spend diamonds, my reference was to you assertion that the building reward was equivalent to the next chapter (you said "AFAIK the rewards tend to be a chapter ahead"), which clearly is not the case for me.

DeletedUser2699

I always have enough of what I need to not get bottlenecked (other than KP's and in dwarves, but that was poor calculations on my part, not a lack of capacity to not get bottlenecked)
I am not sure how long I can maintain my balance of culture and buildings. But I am really confused why you are talking about city without all "the crap" when your city seems to contain it ALL along with a bunch of special culture buildings, that I certainly can never buy (looking ahead), that I can only assume give you bucket loads of culture.
And if I don't use them for spells created in the MA, what should I do with all these ("limited resource") relics I collect??

DeletedUser363

I only ran the numbers to compare what could be done with plenty of culture compared to culture is not important
As you progress you will find that it is much too expensive to maintain a high culture level, or much above 100% (at the moment one of my villages has just over 61000 culture, and I need over 18000 to get to 125%). Upgrades use 100's of culture and your space is limited....this is a way for the devs to try and get us to buy diamonds....a lot of their moves these days seem to be trying to push us that way...to no avail.

BekBel

Adventurer
No my conclusion is certainly not to spend diamonds, my reference was to you assertion that the building reward was equivalent to the next chapter (you said "AFAIK the rewards tend to be a chapter ahead"), which clearly is not the case for me.
They are a chapter ahead, compared to non-diamond culture buildings. That's the whole point of such prizes in these contests, to give diamond level culture to those who don't buy diamond culture buildings. So for us, the effort is worth it. For those who spend real $ on culture, maybe it's not.

DeletedUser

I am not sure how long I can maintain my balance of culture and buildings. But I am really confused why you are talking about city without all "the crap" when your city seems to contain it ALL along with a bunch of special culture buildings, that I certainly can never buy (looking ahead), that I can only assume give you bucket loads of culture.
And if I don't use them for spells created in the MA, what should I do with all these ("limited resource") relics I collect??

It wouldn't have a MA/Barracks/Armoury if they were not either non-deletable or required (orc scouting)
Why wouldn't I use special buildings, if they are a chapter ahead? I simply build less of the "normal" stuff, so am more efficient.

Look, I appreciate the back and forth, but you are jumping all over the place and I can't keep up, so lets say this conversation is over.

blunt sword

Novice
Well after this quest what is next. I have heard from a fellowship that there is a Halloween quest in the pipeline. Is this true or is there some one making it up??

BekBel

Adventurer
Well after this quest what is next. I have heard from a fellowship that there is a Halloween quest in the pipeline. Is this true or is there some one making it up??
It is true. Beta server is currently doing the Halloween contest, testing it out, finding the bugs and everything. It has two prizes, one culture building and one hybrid building of culture and population. 17 quest over 2 weeks.