• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Wonder Women?

Jake65

Sage
Not intending to stir a hornet's nest but could the text for AWs be changed to be gender neutral?
"Their" instead of "his".
I know there are far bigger fish to fry, it just struck me that the player here is definitely a woman so it reads a bit odd.

Ancient Wonderman.jpg

C-Nymph

Necromancer
As a woman, I can only agree that I'd like mine to not display 'his' :p But since you can't choose a gender for your player-character/account, 'they/them/their" is a great applicable-to-everyone compromise.

Laurelin

Sorcerer
@Jake65 : This must be a recent change. I haven't been on my PC for some weeks, and I pay little attention to the Elvenar mobile client while I'm using it (I'm finally a genuine 'armchair gamer'... at least for now!), so I don't even know what it says on mobile, and I'm too lazy to check. However, since April 2018 (my start date) the PC version has used 'their', not 'his', in this Tooltip. In fact, I'm sure of this because I often exchange KP, and I'm not a fan of 'their' being used as a singular pronoun, so it's always slightly irritated me that Inno used/uses this construct rather than 'his/her'.

@Sir Derf : Yep, much better, even though Inno really isn't great with the passive voice. Hmm, how about 'Playername would like you to invest KP in this Ancient Wonder', just as another idea...? Quite a few possibilities, really, without even getting involved in gender issues human or linguistic!

See, you really can't please all of the people all of the time - and let's face it, I'm one of those people who makes a habit of NEVER being very pleased when it comes to nit-picking about English grammar - not to mention online games... :D

PS : What a really weird and trivial change to make, at a time when there are far more important, er, issues to deal with [cough Beta Diamonds cough]... ;)

Jake65

Sage
This must be a recent change.
I haven't noticed it before, I usually play on mobile where the text is too small (for me :) ) but I happened to be on PC at the time.

Jake65

Sage
I'm one of those people who makes a habit of NEVER being very pleased when it comes to nit-picking about English grammar
What is your take on "Knowledgepoints" being one word? Pushes button.... :D
I'm for two words as is my phone's autocorrect, I had to go back and remove the space it added.

Silly Bubbles

Necromancer
In fact, I'm sure of this because I often exchange KP, and I'm not a fan of 'their' being used as a singular pronoun, so it's always slightly irritated me that Inno used/uses this construct rather than 'his/her'.

Sorry, I don't agree with using his/her or her/his. If they gonna change it then they should do it properly and make it fully inclusive, there's too much focus on gender anyway, we are all human after all and equal. There's nothing wrong with using passive voice either. English is an evolving thing like everything else and needs to adjust to current needs so we don't get stuck in caves.

m4rt1n

Adept
The "Human or Elf" set this wonder as their favourite and would like it if you would invest your knowledge points there.

It matters not what gender, race, species, this is an escape from the stresses of reality and a game.