• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Winter Magic

Sir Derf

Adept
Level 10 Gingerbread Mansion = 9 Gingerbread Mansion Artifacts
9 Gingerbread Artifacts = 17 Grand Prizes
17 Grand Prizes = 340 Bricks
340 Bricks = 114-340 Presents
114-340 Presents = 5700-17000 Ribbons

100 Initial Ribbons
100 e-mail Ribbons for the lucky
What, a couple hundred pick-up Ribbons...

So, what is the ribbon total for Phase 1 Quests?

How many Bonus Quests at 20 Ribbons each to reach 5700? 17000?

Hekata

Artisan
@Hekata, I can't speak to what you thought you meant, I can only go by what I read you wrote.
@Vetrinus, I provided both Hekata's statement I was responding to, as well as the context to that statement, the quote from @MinMax Gamer.

Yes, the randomized presents replaces the semi-randomized orbs/shells/chests of previous events, removing the element of strategy. But that clearly was not the aspect of this event that Hekata was referring to as "another random thing to add to this lottery event" Hekata was referring to the 1-3 bricks per hammer.

It is a thing.
It is a random thing.
It is another random thing.
It is another random thing in this event.

My point was that it was not another random thing added to this event.

It is a random thing that is the equivalent to similar random things from previous events.

Ok, let me explain why I think it's another random thing added in more details.

In the Zodiac event we got keys for completing random quests. We used them to open the orbs. We got 3 random orbs each time but we knew the value of each orb and how many stars we would get for that. We needed 20 to get a grand prize. So if we take my 3 favourite orbs 18, 85 and 142 we would get 1, 3 or 5 stars respectively. Noting random about it. You pay 18 keys you get 1 star, you pay 142 you get 5. It was our choice.

Now we get ribbons we use to unlock presents. All presents are worth the same (50) and give us 1 hammer (the only non random thing here). But hammers are not the same as stars form the Zodiac. They are new intermediary currency we use to get the actual tokens and those are bricks. Bricks are the equivalent of stars. And we get a random number of those. Basically while I would pay 85 stars to get 3 stars I will pay 50 ribbons to get either 1, 2 or 3 bricks randomly.
So that is an added random factor to this event on the top of the presents/prizes being also a completely random.

You can feel differently about it, it's fine, we'll then just agree to disagree. I won't dwell on this subject anymore as it is not important. The event is what it is, pure lottery and that's not what I signed up for when I joined this game. But as I also said in another post I am quite zen about it since I don't care particularly about any of the prizes . I'll just do what suits me at the pace I want and hope that for the next event they bring back some of the strategy we had before.

Deleted User - 1759805

340 Bricks = 114-340 Presents
114-340 Presents = 5700-17000 Ribbons
It's slightly better than that. You will need fewer presents for bricks because of x2. You will need less ribbons for presents because of the ribbon present.

I've heard that there is equal chance for 1, 2 or 3 bricks per hammer, so over that long sequence most should be close to 2 on average (this assumes proper uniform random implementation though ;) ). So on average you should be able to achieve L10 with less than 8500 ribbons. If my simulation is correct, it might actually be slightly less than 6000 ribbons that need to be collected from quests / city. Again, on average.

Hard to say how many quests that would be as ribbon output on live changed compared to beta, but the claim was that regular quest sequence should be sufficient for L10 (i.e. no bonus quests are needed for that). Previously, that was 180 quests.

Sir Derf

Adept
Ok, let me explain why I think it's another random thing added in more details.

In the Zodiac event we got keys for completing random quests. We used them to open the orbs. We got 3 random orbs each time but we knew the value of each orb and how many stars we would get for that. We needed 20 to get a grand prize. So if we take my 3 favourite orbs 18, 85 and 142 we would get 1, 3 or 5 stars respectively. Noting random about it. You pay 18 keys you get 1 star, you pay 142 you get 5. It was our choice.

Now we get ribbons we use to unlock presents. All presents are worth the same (50) and give us 1 hammer (the only non random thing here). But hammers are not the same as stars form the Zodiac. They are new intermediary currency we use to get the actual tokens and those are bricks. Bricks are the equivalent of stars. And we get a random number of those. Basically while I would pay 85 stars to get 3 stars I will pay 50 ribbons to get either 1, 2 or 3 bricks randomly.
So that is an added random factor to this event on the top of the presents/prizes being also a completely random.

You can feel differently about it, it's fine, we'll then just agree to disagree. I won't dwell on this subject anymore as it is not important. The event is what it is, pure lottery and that's not what I signed up for when I joined this game. But as I also said in another post I am quite zen about it since I don't care particularly about any of the prizes . I'll just do what suits me at the pace I want and hope that for the next event they bring back some of the strategy we had before.
thank you for the expansion. I was in error, having overlooked that the 1-3 stars/pearls/whatevers were not randomly out of control, but were also tied to the choice of orbs/shells/chests. One single change, random 3/9 chests to pure 1/16, 1/15, etc. presents, produced both the uncontrolled prize selection and the uncontrolled 1-3 bricks. I'm glad I pressed as often as I did so that I got eventually corrected.

Thank you.

Hekata

Artisan
thank you for the expansion. I was in error, having overlooked that the 1-3 stars/pearls/whatevers were not randomly out of control, but were also tied to the choice of orbs/shells/chests. One single change, random 3/9 chests to pure 1/16, 1/15, etc. presents, produced both the uncontrolled prize selection and the uncontrolled 1-3 bricks. I'm glad I pressed as often as I did so that I got eventually corrected.

Thank you.

No problem :)

You are right that one change made to the prizes system gave us 2 random things. I suppose they didn't just assign a certain number of bricks to each present because then most players would just go for the ones worth the most bricks; since prizes are random, they may as well get something for their hard earned ribbons back. And that would cause them to get more grand prizes than intended; we don't want anyone anyone to end up with 5 Gingerbread houses, do we? :rolleyes:
The only thing I don't get is why they made the hammers as intermediary currency. They could have just have given us a random number of bricks with each opened present. I don't see the difference from the hammer system? Maybe they just liked the idea of the Gingerbread man hitting things with its purple hammer.

Sir Derf

Adept
The only thing I don't get is why they made the hammers as intermediary currency.
Added annoyance? Provide the appearance that you have control over a random process?

Old style, 2 clicks - one to select orb, one to dismiss prize notification dialog.
New style, 3 clicks - one to select a prize, one to use a hammer, one to select which of the three highlighted bricks to hit. (Big bucks! Big Bucks! No Whammies!)

I think they're suggesting that, when the rotating highlight on the bricks is moving, that each brick has been randomly assigned whether you will get 1, 2 or three gingerbread pieces, and that your choice of when to whack the hammer is determining how many you will actually get. But, since you don't know which is which, it is just a fancy user-participation RNG.

m4rt1n

Adept
6 in a row now, no repeating quests right.

Gain a good amount of goods, sentient or normal,
Gain a good amount of goods, T1 Boost
Gain a good amount of goods, marble/steel/planks
Gain a good amount of goods, any
Gain a good amount of Goods, one of the above
Gain a good amount of goods - NO REPEATING QUESTS THIS TIME, then don't get me started on the lottery ticket of luck. What a load of BS when you get all the way through 14 of them to hit the shuffle before the daily building.
Yes 16 random boxes full of crap, then you get to 14 without the daily prize and have a FORSED SHUFFLE.

Complete and utter crap, probably sketched on a beermat in the alehouse.
How do we fleese the remaining players for all cash left? Turn the prize chests into a lotto scratchcard? OK maybe that will work and all the remaining gullable players will then maybe spend more money on the worst event system I have ever seen.

FieryArien

Necromancer
My feedback to inno: This is the best event I could have gotten for this Christmas (and advent time).

It’s very peaceful time in my cities. Building, working on research or wonders, improving efficiency. No stressed collections (vs. I can’t collect, what if a quest comes!), almost no temporary buildings (vs. I need more space, I need more space, more/better buildings for doing event!), no checking cheat list (vs. careful planning and tracking of progress in three cities), no collecting ribbons around the cities - well, except when my kids notice me playing (vs. dragging the screen around every time I log in), doing tournament provinces as they open (vs. waiting for quests or even keeping some open tournament provinces in reserve) and so on ...

Don’t get me wrong, I actually love all that. All that planning, strategizing, executing. For me it’s extremely hard to “skip” anything. During Bears event, my small city (around chapter 5) got two brown bears without spending diamonds (maybe I refreshed crafting once, but even that might have been another city). It’s fun. I chose this game for the absence of PvP aspect and for all the strategy and choices included in it. But lately I’m overwhelmed by the non-stop stream of events. It feels like I don’t play the game itself anymore. Just events (note that tournament and Spire are not the kind of events I speak about now).

So to repeat my point: getting an event where you take away all the strategizing was the best thing you could do for me right now. I’m pretty confident that blunt lottery isn’t something that won you Elvenar player base. In my opinion this time you totally missed it. And I hope your statistics will show that to you.

CaptObvious

Seeker
I lurk here a lot but never post as somebody has normally already posted something similar to what I would have said. And again this time I agree with many of the comments in the thread but a point that seems to be missed is this event “just isn't fun”. That may just be my personal opinion but on the worlds I play, chat has been dead. Nobody is talking about the winter event - nobody appears to care. For the bear event many people were complaining but they were engaged in the event (lots of people complaining but still having fun). I think I would much rather have the bear event again with all the problems with the tasks repeated over and over again than this. Its only 2 days in and I am running out of interest. I have not been this tired of an event before, even at the end of the event as I am already on this one.

If you don't like the wording “just isn't fun” substitute in “failed to excite the interest of players” almost the same thing

How is this less fun than the bear event when that had messed up tasks and this has the benefit of hindsight. Maybe I just haven't run into anybody that thinks this is a better event to have picked up a positive vibe. I am sure there are some out there I just haven't run into one

DeletedUser3571

How is this less fun than the bear event when that had messed up tasks and this has the benefit of hindsight. Maybe I just haven't run into anybody that thinks this is a better event to have picked up a positive vibe. I am sure there are some out there I just haven't run into one
I think people are less enthusiastic about this event as their is no great prize at the end, compared to the bears which were amazing. This lack of goal to work towards mean people just aren't enticed to play and so it appears less people talk about it, this leads us to believe its not as fun as previous events.
With the bears we all wanted them and so we participated even though we complained.

Hekata

Artisan
I think people are less enthusiastic about this event as their is no great prize at the end, compared to the bears which were amazing.
While that is certainly part of the problem, I don't think it's the only reason. I used to be excited about getting a lot of time boosters and kp instants from the chests, or the daily prize I wanted... And not to mention the previous system with a quest list when I was excited to see how fast and effeciently I could complete it. And that was all part of the chat. Who got more daily prizes, who had a better strategy in opening chests etc...
Also, I think a lot of people have lost the enthusiasm for this game after seeing how it's moving more and more from a strategy game they signed up to play to a lottery game and how with the new quest requirements they can't have the city they want anymore and must have the city Inno wants them to have.

DeletedUser1874

The "normal" segment is too short, and at first glance doesn't reward nearly enough ribbons to get the evolving thingy up to anywhere near 6-7 (as was the case with the previous events w/o investing real currency, before the RNG nonsense kicked in). Thankfully this isn't a big issue because it's the worse-looking event prize to have ever been released (subjective opinion, of course) and it's worse than a 3x3 bear (not so subjective). So one could've said, "well, the GP isn't that good, let's focus on daily prizes". Oh wait. That's not an option either, thanks to this horrible lottery system which is clearly designed to render players unable to go after the already-nerfed daily prizes they would've wanted, which has always been one of the major points for participating in events.

As to the bonus segment, which should've been called the "better go play another game" segment, well, let me tell you how absolutely delightful it is to have to wait 90 hours in order to win a grand total of 20 ribbons. 90 hours for not even half a chance at winning some pitiful "prize" (wasn't garbage such as random rune shards and 2x1 AW KPs supposed to be removed from the filler pool?) before getting reshuffled back to yet more pitiful prizes in the utterly futile and delusional hope of having a chance at a not-so-great, at best mediocre, daily prize. At least in the previous events (and segments!) we had the option to get 25 VVs instead (which is not fast nor easy as someone implied, especially not for 20 ribbons, but at least it's doable). Now that too has been taken from us.

If the devs' intent was to make us less interested and engaged in the game, well done. Total success. Not actually a bad thing come to think of it, we're no longer addicts. A toast to this detox intervention, may the three-chests system never come back again, as to allow us to enjoy an addiction-free gaming life!

DeletedUser8632

My feedback to inno: This is the best event I could have gotten for this Christmas (and advent time).

It’s very peaceful time in my cities. Building, working on research or wonders, improving efficiency. No stressed collections (vs. I can’t collect, what if a quest comes!), almost no temporary buildings (vs. I need more space, I need more space, more/better buildings for doing event!), no checking cheat list (vs. careful planning and tracking of progress in three cities), no collecting ribbons around the cities - well, except when my kids notice me playing (vs. dragging the screen around every time I log in), doing tournament provinces as they open (vs. waiting for quests or even keeping some open tournament provinces in reserve) and so on ...

Don’t get me wrong, I actually love all that. All that planning, strategizing, executing. For me it’s extremely hard to “skip” anything. During Bears event, my small city (around chapter 5) got two brown bears without spending diamonds (maybe I refreshed crafting once, but even that might have been another city). It’s fun. I chose this game for the absence of PvP aspect and for all the strategy and choices included in it. But lately I’m overwhelmed by the non-stop stream of events. It feels like I don’t play the game itself anymore. Just events (note that tournament and Spire are not the kind of events I speak about now).

So to repeat my point: getting an event where you take away all the strategizing was the best thing you could do for me right now. I’m pretty confident that blunt lottery isn’t something that won you Elvenar player base. In my opinion this time you totally missed it. And I hope your statistics will show that to you.

1575738400589.png

That said... I agree :)

Fyrebird

Spellcaster
If you don't like the wording “just isn't fun” substitute in “failed to excite the interest of players” almost the same thing

Judging from the 39 pages of animated discussion about the Autumn event and the dismal 3 pages here I tend to agree with you. Its sad that we are looking back fondly at a horrid event. Have players become so despondent about events that they just don't care? What did Inno expect? They have removed almost all player participation in gaining prizes and left everything up to chance... so if they don't WANT player participation I'd say its a case of 'be careful of what you wish for..."