• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Discussion Winter Magic 2020

Gargon667

Mentor
I have hit the dreaded 'fight and win 8 encounters' which means I need to wait for the next spire to start and hope for the best there.

Does the text say Spire encounters? If not, it won´t work. If Spire or tourney are allowed the text will explicitly say so. If it says nothing it means province encounters.

BluebellLadybird

Adventurer
Does the text say Spire encounters? If not, it won´t work. If Spire or tourney are allowed the text will explicitly say so. If it says nothing it means province encounters.
Quest 50/70: 'Solve 8 Spire Encounters or fight and win in 8 Encounters.' I negotiate my province encounters as i have long experience at losing them, I will attempt any spire encounter up to 3 times with troops but if I am defeated a third time I quit that spire. I fight as many tourney encounters as I can but on average I negotiate 2/3 of them. I am not a fighter here or in RL but I do like to pull my weight in my F/S.

FieryArien

Necromancer
Quest 50/70: 'Solve 8 Spire Encounters or fight and win in 8 Encounters.' I negotiate my province encounters as i have long experience at losing them, I will attempt any spire encounter up to 3 times with troops but if I am defeated a third time I quit that spire. I fight as many tourney encounters as I can but on average I negotiate 2/3 of them. I am not a fighter here or in RL but I do like to pull my weight in my F/S.
Spire encounters don’t have to be fought. You can solve the riddle with your resources instead and it counts for the quest.

EDIT: but I’ll like to join the complaint about the “fight and win” quests. I started city on beta in summer, so I remember the phase(s) when it was literally impossible to fight and win any encounter. Also there is no Spire until at least chapter 3.

Gargon667

Mentor

It says solve for the Spire, so you can convince or fight as you like. Only the province encounter option has to be fought. Even the fighting is easy if you look through all the encounters you have available, pick the ones that have only one enemy type, those are always easy to fight!

OldHag

Necromancer
I've only just noticed something which is a bit off, in my opinion.
You are supposed to get 1 move for each box you open, or at least that's what I thought, but when you open a box with either 2 or 3 moves, you don't actually get the 1 move for opening the box, just whatever is in the box, I feel this is a bit of a con and a lot of lost moves over the course of the event. :(

Deleted User - 341074

You are supposed to get 1 move for each box you open, or at least that's what I thought, but when you open a box with either 2 or 3 moves, you don't actually get the 1 move for opening the box, just whatever is in the box, I feel this is a bit of a con and a lot of lost moves over the course of the event. :(
Your progress is measured in presents rather than "moves".
Each box generally contains one present, therefore, it makes sense that when a box contains 3 presents you get... 3 presents, not 4 :D

FieryArien

Necromancer
I totally agree. I was also surprised by this. My expectations was “1 move for each opened box” plus “whatever is in the box”.

Explicit feedback for our mods: I’d much rather see the amount of bonus presents lowered by 1 in the board and getting one present (move) for EACH opened box, than these special boxes with presents which don’t get a move.
Since I’m not sure it’s understandable, here’s example with concrete numbers:

Current situation:
- Box containing Winter Shrine gives me the Shrine and a move (a present). Box containing 4 presents gives me 4 presents (moves).

Preferred situation:
- Box with the Shrine behaves exactly the same. Box with 4 presents has 3 presents instead, but rewards 3 presents plus 1 move (present).

The result is absolutely the same, but the behavior I observe is consistent.

anonglitch

Co-Community Manager
Elvenar Team
You do still get a move, @FieryArien:

Let's call a prize that has the Daily Exclusive and one movement.

In a box with four movements, the real prize is three movements, plus your regular movement. Instead of displaying it as "3xGift" and "1xGift", it summed up all four in one. Similarly, if you collect rewards from more than one AW once you log in, you will see that the KP spells add instead of displaying individually.

You do get the movement, but it is automatically added if the prize is additional movements. It also gets multiplied x2 if you trigger it.

OldHag

Necromancer
You do still get a move, @FieryArien:

Let's call a prize that has the Daily Exclusive and one movement.

In a box with four movements, the real prize is three movements, plus your regular movement. Instead of displaying it as "3xGift" and "1xGift", it summed up all four in one. Similarly, if you collect rewards from more than one AW once you log in, you will see that the KP spells add instead of displaying individually.

You do get the movement, but it is automatically added if the prize is additional movements. It also gets multiplied x2 if you trigger it.

But all the other boxes give the prize that is displayed plus one gift. So when a box shows 3 presents I would expect it to give what is displayed, plus one gift, it does not.

FieryArien

Necromancer
Instead of displaying it as "3xGift" and "1xGift", it summed up all four in one.
I’m not talking about reward screen. I’m talking about the boxes on the board. Seeing 4xGift in the reward screen is absolutely ok. But I should get such a screen after opening a box containing 3xGift (because all the other boxes get 1xGift on top of the actual content of the box).

FatehpurSikri

Alchemist
I like this event. It's easy to understand, and I now only play on the days that there's a building I want. Because I stockpile my keys in the interim, I've been able to get almost all the buildings I wanted. So I like that there's a better chance of winning than there was in the extremely frustrating and hard to understand Halloween event.

I just wish the developers hadn't started it with two good buildings as prizes the first two days in a row. No way to get enough keys to guarantee to win in all of my cities. Glad to see the owl cave being offered again next week. Am saving my keys and will be able to get that in the cities where I missed it. Hope they add the ice cream farm again at the end.

sgjennings

Adventurer
I like this event. It's easy to understand, and I now only play on the days that there's a building I want. Because I stockpile my keys in the interim, I've been able to get almost all the buildings I wanted. So I like that there's a better chance of winning than there was in the extremely frustrating and hard to understand Halloween event.

I just wish the developers hadn't started it with two good buildings as prizes the first two days in a row. No way to get enough keys to guarantee to win in all of my cities. Glad to see the owl cave being offered again next week. Am saving my keys and will be able to get that in the cities where I missed it. Hope they add the ice cream farm again at the end.

I also hope they add the ice cream farm again at the end, I've managed all the other buildings that I want too.

BlueBlou

Illusionist
If you thought it was difficult to get a fair number of the same buildings, I saw two cities today where both had x7 of the Goblin Gift Shop.

Pauly7

Magus
If you thought it was difficult to get a fair number of the same buildings, I saw two cities today where both had x7 of the Goblin Gift Shop.
It's fairly easy if that's the prize you want. You can average one daily every 215 keys, so it wouldn't be too weird if someone had won 15-20 of them. Was it @SoggyShorts or @MinMax Gamer or both who said they'd picked up large numbers of Goblin Shops?

Deleted User - 341074

It's fairly easy if that's the prize you want. You can average one daily every 215 keys, so it wouldn't be too weird if someone had won 15-20 of them. Was it @SoggyShorts or @MinMax Gamer or both who said they'd picked up large numbers of Goblin Shops?
22 on Beta
12,12,10,16 on Live (between the wife and I) with 8-12 more expected per city.

Without any reshuffling, you are actually guaranteed at least 12 daily prizes.
If your goal is a level 8 Owl with fingers crossed for 2 FA artifacts then you can reshuffle immediately after finding the daily each time increasing the expected outcome to well over 20.

Attachments

• gobo22.png
    gobo22.png
    375.1 KB · Views: 107
Last edited by a moderator:

Gargon667

Mentor
Just to show a different approach (not that I think it will be useful for many players)

Since I am only interested in troop instants I go fishing on those days. Then I have 2x5 and 1x10 squads in there, which means 20 squads in 16 presents. The only other prizes I don´t mind are the coin (for FAs) and supply instants. But I don´t go out of my way for those two.

1. I open present at or above that rate (20/16) left in the pool, I reshuffle every time the chance drops below that.
2. I use the reveal always as soon as it pops up (because it increases that rate
3. I use the 2x when the chance is bigger than that rate (20/16)