• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Why do so many go inactive

Hi
I understand its human nature to become bored and want something new but why do so many after a year or two and alot of daily effor just give up! I have my own idea, after months or years of effort they realise that other than having a bigger city they haven't progressed anywhere, in fact everythings slowing down and each chapter is becomming a bigger drag than the one before and they think they will never catch the folks that already had a million points when they joined and they say to themselves, why am i wasting my time on a game thats no longer fun, plus has the never ending pressure to do well in the tournament, spire, FS adventure. Then theres the ranking system which obviously favours the ones that have been playing the longest.
I know there are challenges to provide a game that suits new and old players equally but i think its the feeling of no progression and that they will never get anywhere near the top 100 that makes most give up. Leagues were introduced for Events so why not introduce ranking for periods of time, yearly or six monthly, call them seasons or whatever, not everyone can be in the overall top 100 but players can be for the season they joined maybe. It would give players a sense of achievement and share a little bit of ackowledgement for effort put in, that they did ok compared to other players for their season and maybe keep their interest, give them a realistic target to aim for. Elvenar already has all the data for each player so it shouldn't be too much work to make these extra ranking boards.
Kejul

Silly Bubbles

Necromancer
It's doable, you can reach top 100 in two years and reach Chapter 19. Your main priority needs to be completing research tree and also Spire helps a lot with progress. You can't very easily beat someone in higher chapter on ranking points, the higher the chapter the easier it is to get ranking points.

As any other game, the more you progress, the harder it gets otherwise everyone would reach high level and there would be no challenge and finish the game too early. To me, it's as it should be.

Also, don't let anyone to pressure you to do anything, keep it enjoyable, it is a game. There's no need to get every reward that is available, just pick the ones that you really like.

It would take me hours to pass on all the tips, in short, enjoy the game and with right choices you can get what you want.

It is doable in two years I know someone who did it, not everyone can though and my point is you can never get more than 100 people in the top 100. Hence my suggestion to make sub leagues.

Silly Bubbles

Necromancer
It is doable in two years I know someone who did it, not everyone can though and my point is you can never get more than 100 people in the top 100. Hence my suggestion to make sub leagues.

You might find that you'll have the same problem. Once, it's based on ranking not everyone can be on top and it's possible that the same players will keep having top positions. You can compare yourself to other players at your level through current ranking and get enjoyment from getting better and better position.
Sorry, I appreciate your effort at making it more enjoyable, unfortunately, I think that the current system already accommodates that. Either way whatever makes the game more enjoyable, I'm all for it.

Giraffi

Enchanter
Make it realistic perhaps. Choose someone in your fellowship that progresses at the same rate as yourself and have a personal competition. As far as rank is concerned, not really something to bother about when it can go up or down depending on whether you teleport buildings in or out of your city. Just enjoy all the puzzles the game throws at you.

not all people are suited to all games, and vice versa. I have been through three previous versions of this where I started off wrong and just kept bumbling about, and even now I realize that I'll never get where I want to be. I am just playing for the fun of the thing, and helping others along the way. It's not forever, so I try to relax and just do the parts I find most effective and useful.

Thanks for the comments all, i get the impression you think maybe i am a bit worked up about the ranking and my own position, i'm not :) i enjoy the game and I am happy with my progress, i believe i will get where i want to be eventually. I just see alot give up, more than a similar game i have played in the past and gave it some thought to the reason why, hence the suggestion, elvenstats has all the data, for me anyway it would be nice to be able to query it.

Jake65

Sage
I would be keen to see chapter specific rankings which I think would give an interesting comparison between players at the same stage of game progress.
However, certain wonders give large amounts of ranking points so a player focused on upgrading those might have a high ranking while being relatively unsuccessful in the spire and tournaments.
There are weekly tournament (individual) and spire (fellowship) ranking tables which I must admit I do watch during marble week :)

schadenfreude

Enchanter
I feel like playing for rank is a lost cause and not really worth pursuing. You'll never be playing on equal footing as everyone. New cities compete with old cities alike. Cities that spend 0 money compete with people who pump in mad $$$. Like how does a free player ever hope to be on a level playing field with someone who has 10 Brown Bears or whatever? Also, some of the top ranked cities are very irrational cities, like they have 40 armories just to do 100pt in tourney. I mean, congratulations, you have the time and space to build a whole lot of late-game nonsense?

The chapters also progressively get longer because everything just takes longer. It's not necessarily more difficult than Fairies or Orcs. The settlement stuff just drags on longer and longer. So while your settlement stuff is spinning in granny gear, you have a lot of repetition of the other stuff going on like tourney and Spire. So I can see how people would get bored in later chapters and drop out.

kurgkurg

Conjurer
this game can be played in very many different ways and with this variety of goals. Not all players care about the rankings and not even trying to raise it - maybe they want to be the best in the tournament, then with bigger ranking you only makes fighting harder and is a meaningless number that doesn't care. Or maybe you like the FA. Or build the most beautiful city for your own:)
Choose what you like, don't chase a goal that won't give you the pleasure of playing :)

I realize after a few false starts and one pretty good one, that unless the folks above me all leave the game at once I will never be much higher ranked than I am. So I got over that. One good perk about being entombed seven or eight levels from the bottom is that the pressure is off, you're not expected to "succeed" beyond your own limits, and you can contribute without feeling like you should have tried harder. Annnd you can ask questions about upcoming Scary Bits and get some pretty clear ideas of what to expect. At least until the game designers decide to change the rules without warning anyone. And they do that. A lot.

one other thing: think of the dozens of games we have all tried, only to find out that we are just not suited to the game, or the quests, or the graphics. Some that look soooo good in the promo just do not work once we buy into it. I suspect there's a lot of that, too. Just because your best friend loves it, you don't have to.

Last edited: