• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

/Who /Whisper

• Thread starter DeletedUser4503
  • Start date

DeletedUser4503

The only thing I have found different is that you can now longer see who is online in your Fellowship by typing in /who
So it's very difficult to know who is around - this needs to be changed back please asap :)

DeletedUser3097

Please read this quote about /who:

The fact that /who and other chat commands don't work is known, and we have already forwarded the concern and have requested it to be made available in the new chat. Right now it isn't, and we do not yet know exactly when we will have those features.

DeletedUser4503

We would like the /who command re-instated please as it shows who is around in your Fellowship - bring it back asap

I'm sure that others will agree when I say your answer is simply not good enough - there are enough problems with this game without you creating more for us - please re-instate these command asap

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser5221

/who was one of the most useful features. to see who is online (if anyone is online) in fs. removing it doesnt make a sense to me. Our whole FS is hoping for the command to come back

DeletedUser3097

/who was one of the most useful features. to see who is online (if anyone is online) in fs. removing it doesnt make a sense to me. Our whole FS is hoping for the command to come back
I agree with you- but this is what has happened:

The old chat server (which was giving us all a headache) has been replaced by a new one which does not have the /who and /whisper facilities at present. It is hoped to reintroduce these as their importance is recognised, but the time-scale for this is unknown.

I hope this explains a little of what has happened. Please keep an eye on the Forum for any further developments.

McBratty

Enchanter
What we have now is the new chat?? It doesnt work any better than the old one! Messages are doubled, it doesnt connect, necessitates numerous refresh to be able to use it. How about the devs stop throwing out all these events and just fix what is broken as its becoming very frustrating playing this game. To be told people are aware of the problem and we basically have to put up with it until such time as they decide to fix it really isnt good enough!

DeletedUser4149

/who not working is better than the whole chatroom not working, especially during fellowship adventures. the chatroom has at least worked for me since they disabled the /who feature. if your teammates don't answer if you ask who is there, they're either busy, jerks, or maybe they just don't like you.

DeletedUser5306

What would be better is the chatroom working including the commands we were used to have.

Thank you Lizzie for your explanations but as pobble very well remarked in the version 1.57 discussion:
So, in which of the Release notes do we find the changes to Chat please?
I read in another stream that what we have now is the long-awaited new Chat which lots of players have been looking forward to - I would have expected that to be a major item announced in Release notes? And I can find no mention of /who and /whisper being removed either, and these changes definitely affect a significant number of users as you can see elsewhere in the forum discussions.
Have I simply missed these announcements, or is it perhaps time for a review of what gets included in the Release notes?

Where is the announcement of the replacement/fix of the old chat? Cause maybe those commands are unimportant for some, I know for a fact now that many in my FS were using them since some tried and typed the commands in the past couple of days with no success of course..
A warning would have been appreciated...

EdwardTrunk

Soothsayer
As someone who has spent over 20 years working in IT, including software development, I find it incredibly disappointing that Inno can't give a timescale for a fix for something as relatively trivial as making /who and /whisper work again. But then again, there also appears to be little in the way of any quality control going on, with each new release apparently breaking as many things as it fixes. Does any actual testing occur prior to releasing new versions?

Last edited:

m4rt1n

Adept

The old chat server (which was giving us all a headache) has been replaced by a new one which does not have the /who and /whisper facilities at present. It is hoped to reintroduce these as their importance is recognised, but the time-scale for this is unknown.

I hope this explains a little of what has happened. Please keep an eye on the Forum for any further developments.

So the old chat server has been replaced?

That explains why I am having issues and cannot read or post chat for the last couple of days from the app.

iOS v1.57

Edit: Adding that currently the chat is showing but is very temperamental.

Last edited:

Geminatrix

Soothsayer
I think the key word here is "trivial"

I'm sure there are plenty of other game things their techs are working on (if they aren't on their own summer holidays) that they and me would consider more important

We looked to find a better way to communicate a while back in our fellowship (an external chat client) and hope to roll that out to our fellows soon. Should help a great deal in teamwork events and to know who is actually about. It took some work to sort out but I think it will be worth it.

Communications in any group looking to work together on something are important ... so yeah I get the fact that its annoying to not know who is logged in but its a kinda hamfisted tool at best.

I do appreciate the fact that we have an ingame chat ... not having the fellowship messaging threads on the mobile app is more of an issue though imo

EdwardTrunk

Soothsayer

I'm sure there are plenty of other game things their techs are working on (if they aren't on their own summer holidays) that they and me would consider more important
My post wasn't in regard to what should be priority or what should be done when but about the very basic requirement of having a software development plan detailing the items that are to be worked on and when, and then communicating that. Some of those items will be new developments and others will be fixing things that are broken. The time spent on the latter could be minimised by actually doing some testing prior to making new releases.

DeletedUser

We looked to find a better way to communicate a while back in our fellowship (an external chat client) and hope to roll that out to our fellows soon. Should help a great deal in teamwork events and to know who is actually about. It took some work to sort out but I think it will be worth it.

Communications in any group looking to work together on something are important ... so yeah I get the fact that its annoying to not know who is logged in but its a kinda hamfisted tool at best.

I do appreciate the fact that we have an ingame chat ... not having the fellowship messaging threads on the mobile app is more of an issue though imo
The problem is that what you may not consider to be important, many other people place a high level of importance on - none of the FS I'm a member of would want an external chat client which required everybody to use it - we did try in one FS but only a handful of people even bothered to register.

Chat is still causing problems for people, some of the functionality which was used by people is not there, personally I'd like everything which is broken or promised to be fixed was actually fixed, but the lack of /who is a real pain for my FS and it would have been nice to be told before changeover that we were getting a new chat client and that the /who etc functionality would not be available.

We often get announcements multiple times of some things, we get announcements retrospectively or we don't get them at all!

cwgiii

Shaman
The problem is that what you may not consider to be important, many other people place a high level of importance on

Correct. In addition, what any individual considers important,may not be important to Inno at all. Communication from Inno on their priorities is non-existent. It would be AWESOME to see some sort of punch list from Inno on what they are working on, in which order (priority) with targets of completion. Such a tool is very common, if not necessary in any IT development that I have ever known about. This would give us insight of what they know about (known issues), and when those might be resolved. It would also help us see what Inno does not plan on working on at all (at least for the immediate future).

Of course, Inno would not provide an absolute comprehensive list. That would reveal company secrets. strategies, etc. But it would be easy to sanitize an existing list to provide to users. This could include, but would not have to include, development for events. It could result in another communication tool for Inno to help with user experience. perception, and satisfaction. There are plenty of communication avenues already, but Inno does not use them effectively, IMHO.

Communication is vital. Consistent / accurate / timely communication is a wonderful thing. This could go a long way toward setting user expectations and building good will / community. Lack of communication breeds misunderstanding, disappointment and mistrust.

Duru Beibella

Alchemist
Please read this quote about /who:

Please - chat is rubbish ;( every other word "connection failure" - having to constantly reload or start page over …… chat was bad enough before but now - after "connection failure" last message posted is repeated three times - it's like an echo …… whatever they did to "fix" chat, they've made it worse I'm afraid ….. needs sorting for those who like to chat while playing as the joy is going out of being online :(

Aisling1

Conjurer

The new chat has a habit of repeating itself, 3 times.. we're using messages instead.. but would like the chat back.. ? What are our chances.. ???