• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

When will Mercenary camp work

DeletedUser

It would be too easy to point out that you're getting it for free.

View attachment 1481
I think it's more about how CLOSE we are to the development team. We're literally sitting on their shoulder, and playing with code WELL before all of the pieces have come together. That intimate relationship is both the curse and the blessing of an on-line browser based game.

For a hotfix, we're ACTUALLY playing code that didn't exist yesterday. For most of the code we're talking about a month or so, what with internal testing and the Beta, but we're most certainly putting together a jigsaw puzzle that still has a lot of missing pieces.

You could point that out (the free bit) but since we are NOT playing for free, lucky you didn't!

As you point out, releasing it before it comes together is the problem. Some things will slip through, others they just abandon or release when there is no way they could not have know there were issues. Reminds me of some Marvel movies where they rush it out the door to a release date, rather than take the time to get it right.

CrazyWizard

Shaman
I tell my customers (unrelated field) that there is the proper way to do things (which I do) and the cheap way to do it. If they do not want to pay to get it done right, then I am ok with that and walk away. My way of doing things gets a better result, but costs more, their decision.
I don't accept "close enough" in my work and thus do not expect that in others. In the outside world, people have different expectations and you simply need to understand why people do things.
I get "it is cheaper and that is my priority" and am fine with that IF THEY SAY THAT IS WHAT THEY ARE DOING.

Inno falls into the category of the guy that says they can deliver, then makes excuses when things fail. Don't make excuses, give reasons and fix it OR say why you are not going to fix it. (You paid for a $50 jobs, that is what you got)

I have had saturday night drinks, so feel free to point out any logic flaws...

I agree with your logic, unfortunatly in the programming/game developing buisness it's all about "good enough" , Making it right takes so much time that eventually the company goes bankrupt an nothing gets finished altogether.

quite often we see in games that it comes out as an unfinished game and then needs to be patched multiple times, they simply need the money to finish there work. it's a devils dillemma (ignoring the bad companies that bring out an unfinished game and then never fix it unfortunatly they exist as well)

This is especially true when it comes to online "browser" games. bring something out quickly, making revenue and use that revenue to continue developing that game, if the revenue falls short cut the game and move to the next one, its a very solid buisness model.

In the entire industry there is only 1 company who works according to your ethics and that is blizzard, but all there projects are billion+ dollar project, far outside the scope of financial ability of any other company.

DeletedUser

I agree with your logic, unfortunatly in the programming/game developing buisness it's all about "good enough" , Making it right takes so much time that eventually the company goes bankrupt an nothing gets finished altogether.

quite often we see in games that it comes out as an unfinished game and then needs to be patched multiple times, they simply need the money to finish there work. it's a devils dillemma (ignoring the bad companies that bring out an unfinished game and then never fix it unfortunatly they exist as well)

This is especially true when it comes to online "browser" games. bring something out quickly, making revenue and use that revenue to continue developing that game, if the revenue falls short cut the game and move to the next one, its a very solid buisness model.

In the entire industry there is only 1 company who works according to your ethics and that is blizzard, but all there projects are billion+ dollar project, far outside the scope of financial ability of any other company.

I totally get what you are saying, how do the devs know they will lose money (comparatively) by having a "patch release"? The only real way to tell is to check historic retention, how much players spend over time (and at what stages) etc.

DeletedUser971

I hope they give us orc mercenaries, that work. Will make the mercenary camp finally useful.