• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

What's the best use of my excess gold?

DeletedUser7472

I'm a new player, currently near the end of the 2nd chapter. I have maxed main hall (lvl 9) that holds 1200K, and I often reach maximum gold storage.

I see 2 different ways of spending my excess gold (not considering building upgrades and scouting):
1. buying knowledge points
2. buying goods at the wholesaler

Until now I used a mix of both, buying a couple of KPs sometimes and trying to take advantage of the daily reset on wholesaler prices. To be honest, I like buying KPs more because I need them to advance on the tech tree, and the wholesaler ratio feels bad even on the first trade of the day.

So, my question is: should I go on buying KP like crazy without worrying of the cost increase, and ignore the wholesaler completely? Right now a KP costs me 50K, and the scaling doesn't seem soo steep. I am aware that you could be required to buy KPs for quests, but seeing the fact that you can also buy them with goods seems a good backup plan for me.

Any thoughts on this?

Deleted User - 106219

The problem with buying KPs is that the cost NEVER decreases, it just keeps going up and up. I've read about players that need to pay millions for 1 KP.

The cost of buying goods, on the other hand, resets daily.

Also, once you get to the guest races the main challenge in advancing through the tech tree is getting enough of the Guest Race Goods (and those you can't buy).

So I'd recommend buying goods, especially once you have the Blooming Trader Guild, as it will greatly improve the Wholesaler offers.

DeletedUser7472

The problem with buying KPs is that the cost NEVER decreases, it just keeps going up and up. I've read about players that need to pay millions for 1 KP.

The cost of buying goods, on the other hand, resets daily.

Also, once you get to the guest races the main challenge in advancing through the tech tree is getting enough of the Guest Race Goods (and those you can't buy).

So I'd recommend buying goods, especially once you have the Blooming Trader Guild, as it will greatly improve the Wholesaler offers.

While this makes a lot of sense, I don't think it applies to my case. As I said, I'm at the end of chapter 2 (last 2 researchs missing) so I'm nowhere near the guest races or the blooming trader guild. Currently, my advancement through the tech tree is capped exclusively by the KPs, because good and resources are not an issue. This is why at the moment purchasing KPs feels better for me.

From your answer, I understand that this won't be the case anymore once I get to guest races. It looks to me that I should use my excess gold on KPs as long as they are my bottleneck on the tech tree. Later on, the goods will become the bottleneck so I should focus on the wholesaler. Would you agree with that, or is there something important that I didn't consider?

All the events have buy KPs built in so I recommend using that one cautiously as well.
Scout provinces uses gold but be careful there too. A red province will always be expensive to solve
Yeah I know about the events, as I said I hope I will manage those using the option of purchasing KPs with goods.

Regarding scouting, my approach at the moment is scouting only the bare minimum for the chapter chest, then wait for the advanced scouts tech to restart scouting. That's also why I have so much spare gold at the moment, I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser7472

i would use the buy KP option only for emergency

What do you mean by emergency? What do you buy KPs for? This is the piece of information I miss. I would buy KPs only to progress on the tech tree or the occasional event quest. Buying KPs for ancient wonders doesn't seem so efficient when you get all those KP instants. Is that wrong?

Deleted User - 106219

I buy KP ONLY for events (and the occasional story quest that requires it). For the tech tree I get enough KP from Tournaments and the hourly KP. I might buy KP for research only if it is required to get to the next chapter before an event ends.

LazyTony

Sorcerer
I would scout as fast as possible, provinces are a source of KP and of the one true currency of this game - space. A province expansion won in chapter 2 is a lot more useful than the same one won in chapter 5. I agree with your analysis about using excess gold for KP, as long as you don't get too far ahead of your main hall capacity. 1 KP currently costs me 2026k, but my main hall gives me a capacity of 31 million. I'd suggest trying to keep KP costs to around 5-10% or so of your capacity.

DeletedUser7472

I agree with your analysis about using excess gold for KP, as long as you don't get too far ahead of your main hall capacity. 1 KP currently costs me 2026k, but my main hall gives me a capacity of 31 million. I'd suggest trying to keep KP costs to around 5-10% or so of your capacity.

This was the plan, trying to speed up my research without going too far with the costs. Keeping cost under 5% of the main hall capacity was exactly what I had in mind.

Good point on the scouting too. Sounds like the expansion I get from overscouting is worth the increased difficulty I get from scouting before time. I didn't think about that.

kimkimkim

Summoner
I personally use my excess gold for the wholesaler as I have seen the kp prices keep going up and in some events where you need to buy kp will get costly.....and I have not reached guest races yet

Last edited:

DeletedUser5983

What do you mean by emergency? What do you buy KPs for? This is the piece of information I miss. I would buy KPs only to progress on the tech tree or the occasional event quest. Buying KPs for ancient wonders doesn't seem so efficient when you get all those KP instants. Is that wrong?

Sorry for late answer, the FA has taken a lot of my time, forgot to check the forum :)
By 'emergency' I meant: only if I have to buy, where there's no other way round to solve the problem. I guess shadowblack's reply represents that perfectly.

DeletedUser7472

Thanks everyone for your input! I understandd I need to be very careful to keep KP cost in check, so I will use wholesaler more.

DeletedUser7096

Hello @TomColBadil,

as the thread is more a discussion topic where everybody can give his opinion than a closed question, I moved the thread from the Questions section to the Discussions section.

Regards,

Kakashi-sensei - forum team

Pauly7

Magus
When I was at your stage of the game I bought KPs with reckless abandon. I always considered that no matter how expensive it got it was always going to seem better value for money than the absurd cost of the wholesaler which, let's be honest, is only marginally better than flushing our coins away (if that were an option).

I can't remember at what point I thought better of the plan, but when you consider, as others have said, the cost keeps going up forever more and we will always need to buy them in handfuls each tournament then you realise that keeping buying them isn't sustainable, much like a system on the roulette.

Right now my KPs cost 775k each and that's become a real headache when an event wants me to buy 50 more in the spaces of 4 or 5 quests. I've heard of others who are spending 2 million or more per KP. The sooner you stop buying them outside of event quests the less problematic it will be in the long run.

DeletedUser7472

Based on my fresh experience on the first 2 chapters, I think it's still worth to spend excess gold KPs in those early stages. Especially in the last part of the 2nd chapter, where you reach the gold cap at 1200k every day when you collect in the morning, your city is full and max level and you are waiting to unlock techs for 2 expansions and treants.

Some numbers: I got to chapter 3 with a KP costing 53000 gold, so I bought 105 KPs spending 2809k gold. This means I unlocked those techs (and all the following ones) 4 days earlier. Had I spent the same gold on the wholesaler, I would have got max 7000 T1 goods, which would have taken roughly 3 days for me to collect in the normal way.

Now that I went past the advanced scout tech on chapter 3 the game feels much better, I can train treants and (very soon) golems and I have much more space for my city. The builders are back to work and my storages don't overflow anymore. I even feel the motivation to cycle a couple of daily quest for the additional resources. I'll probably will be stuck again at the end of the chapter, but by that time I'll have unlocked sorceress and T3 manufactories. When I started playing a month ago, I looked to the tech tree and thought "oh, looks like you need to get to chapter 3 to unlock the full game". This is why I rushed to chapter 3 as fast as I could, and from now on my impression is that buying KP will feel less appealing.

Sorry for the long story, I felt the need to explain more in depth why I think buying KP early looks a good thing to me. You probably are all so advanced in the game that you don't even remember how it is to play with only archers and light infantry on a 16 expansions city.

Long story short: game is boring in the first 2 chapters, so I speeded up buying KPs with excess gold. From chapter 3 onwards I'll do as everyone suggested and I'll keep KP costs in check.

Pauly7

Magus
Haha, a long story maybe, but it comes to the same thing. Like I said before, you aren't doing anything any different from how I did it and your thought process is much the same as mine was. However.... right now I sure wish that my KP cost 200k rather than 775k... and I stopped unnecessary spending on in when it was less than 200k.

Based on my fresh experience on the first 2 chapters, I think it's still worth to spend excess gold KPs in those early stages. Especially in the last part of the 2nd chapter, where you reach the gold cap at 1200k every day when you collect in the morning, your city is full and max level and you are waiting to unlock techs for 2 expansions and treants.
No matter what stage of the game you are at the Main Hall can still potentially fill up every day (scouting keeps it at bay a little bit) and there are, not always, but very often techs that you would like to get opened up quicker.

You're not doing anything wrong. It's a valid tactic to get you through the early stages of the game. My prediction is, though, that in 6 months time you'll be wishing you stopped buying KPs sooner.

DeletedUser7472

My prediction is, though, that in 6 months time you'll be wishing you stopped buying KPs sooner.

All the replies to this thread made it very clear that I should buy KPs only for quests from now on. I'll stick to that advice. Should I feel the need to buy KP for the tech tree again, thinking of Bruce Willis and his icy cold stare upon me should be enough to bring me back to reason.

Only time will tell if I should have stopped earlier, but I hope I'll be fine.

Pauly7

Magus
There could always be a little bit of middle ground where you buy some KPs at key points where you're thinking you could complete a tech or level an AW before bed or some such, but yeah it's best to at least have an eye on limiting KP purchase.