• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Answered What is the 'easiest' tournament?

• Thread starter Deleted User - 384643
  • Start date

Deleted User - 384643

Hi Guys,

My fellowship will be trying to get the tenth chest soon, and I was wondering what tournament would be best to give that a try.

IMO :scroll: is the most difficult tournament, but I'm not quite sure what the easiest is.

Any suggestions?

DeletedUser1829

Easiest varies by multiple factors - Race, wonders, event buildings, unit combinations, etc. A general rule of thumb is the greater the range your key unit has the easier the tournament. This puts scrolls and dust at the bottom of the list :p

So tournaments that use mages, light range and heavy range are easier than those that use heavy melee and then light melee. People debate and vary between mages, light range and heavy range and race plays into that a bit. Mages and light range have the benefit of additional event buildings and light range has an early wonder that helps boost it as well. One possibility is:

:steel: / :plank::elixir: / :gem::marble: / :crystal::silk: / :magicdust::scroll:

DeletedUser219

A key note in using light range: you will lose far fewer troops if you can afford the time to manually fight. The AI still tends to have light range get too close to their opponents.
Another factor that affects Tournament play is where the nearest Province of the right type is from your city, as Squad sizes increase as a factor of distance. So the 6 types that start 1 square away will use less troops than the 3 that start 2 squares away.

LazyTony

Sorcerer
So the 6 types that start 1 square away will use less troops than the 3 that start 2 squares away.
I'm afraid thats incorrect Horanda. Distance is only a factor on world map, its irrelevant for tournaments. The first tournament province will always use the same % of your squad size for all 6 rounds, the second a % a little higher than the first, etc. I'm afraid I don't have those %s to hand, but they are not effected by how close they are to your city. I agree with Mykan's classification on the types that are generally easier, but as he says, it constantly varies with wonder levels, barracks, training ground and mercenary camp levels, and even for elves and humans.

As Horanda says manual fighting makes a big difference for any fight, but the difference is even larger for any ranged troops, the AI is rubbish at staying out of range of the enemy. I would advise your players to manual fight as much as time allows, and where time is short prioritise the fights with more troops (more to lose\gain) and/or that are harder. Thats where your valuable time will make the most difference.

Last edited:

Pauly7

Magus
Some complex answers, but when it comes down to it it is very much:

Silk - easiest
Gems - 2nd easiest
Steel - 3rd easiest

This comes from my experiences with fighting and the Needles of the Tempest could easily be making a big impact on that.

Also, I agree about scrolls and magic dust is the second hardest... which is a pity because those are the two where I have the chance of being short of relics due to my constant MM spell production.

Deleted User - 384643

Thanks for the replies. I personally agree that Silk is indeed the easiest tournament.
At first I'd expect Steel to be the easiest, since I fight that tournament mostly with archers so my Needles of the Tempest & Martial Monastery are both very useful, but I noticed with the last Steel tournament that the enemy army has lots of annoyingly difficult combinations that often include 1 or more army squads that have a fight bonus against Light Ranged. So I had to cater a lot and also lost too many archer units.

And I don't want to manual fight; I know I can keep the losses way down by using manual fight instead of auto fight but it just takes too much time IMO.
Enough time for tournaments is already a problem with many of my fellowship members, so manual fight is definitely not an option for them, either.

Deleted User - 1634960

@LazyTony The ratio stays the same regardless of distance, depending on the round of the Tournament, but the starting Squad Sizes are larger for those further out from your city, therefore you are risking more troops, especially if the AI is not going to move them wisely. ;)

DeletedUser1829

@LazyTony I understand the squad size starts at 5% and increases by 5% per round, so by round 20 its the same as your world map squad size. I will have to pay more attention for the ones that start further out to see the % in that case, based on rillian's comment above.

LazyTony

Sorcerer
Yeah, I finished my first tourney round in a rush. I wanted to check my 1st province squad size with a fellow who had his 1st province at a different distance to me. Will try to remember next round.

DeletedUser4003

The answer is steel for sure ....IF your team members have some Enlightened Light Range buildings from past big events ... since they were available on double bonus point days (points for grand rewards), some of you might have some still, ask around.

If you have them, then those players would need only 1 type of unit for whole tourney which is archers. Build them in advance and carry hard :)

But keep in mind that if you want to use only archers in steel tourney, you want at least two of those buildings active, 3 are recommended.

This mainly would help as a grand punch if your team usually does less than 8 chests on avg.

If a player has 3 these buildings activated at the same time, he can auto fight every single fight if he wants to. Doing manual fight when you pass 1st turn with your archers would improve performance highly.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser5976

How about the Unleashed Unit Upgrade buildings? It gives 25% more health to all units.

DeletedUser4003

How about the Unleashed Unit Upgrade buildings? It gives 25% more health to all units.
That is a luxury.
Use it if you do more than 16 provinces in first 2 or 3 days of tournament or 16 tournament provinces 5 or 6 days days.
If you plan to do less, any of the buildings would be a waste, but that's just my opinion.
For some players its hard to do 1k tourney points, for me 3k is easy...

If you plan to go hard in a tourney & use unit damage increase buildings, add 1 Unleashed Unit Upgrade in a mix, one is enough.
A very good combo in steel tourney is 3 Enlightened Light Range +1Unleashed Unit Upgrade. You can do 2+1.
If you are spending 4 (3+1) or 3 (2+1) these buildings, make sure you have 150-200 squads of archers (steel tourney). This combo will get you far :)
From my experience if you would use only 1 Enlightened Light Range ... it wont be such a big boost to make a big difference, so i wouldn't add Unleashed Unit Upgrade to it.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser5976

Thanks for the advice. I've no problem making more than 1K weekly, but am focusing on my boosted goods for tourneys at the moment. I'm just into Dwarves (literally unlocked the advanced scouts today) and haven't maxed my relics yet, so even though I like tourneys a lot I'm going easy at the moment, but your advice will come in handy when I need it.