• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

We Need Messaging in the Mobile App Please

Pauly7

Magus
As an aside we also have a Discord chatroom @Lelanya. My problem is persuading people to log into the thing. Still, my first thought is that Discord does not replace messaging, but as I'm typing I'm starting to wonder if it's possible to do AW swap threads through Discord... Hmm, I guess I could set up a new channel for each different swap. Interesting. I haven't thought about this before.
Just quoting myself as I've realised this wouldn't work anyway because we still can't donate to other people's AWs on the mobile app. Inno, please can we at least have the donation problem sorted out, then it would be possible to work around?

EdwardTrunk

Soothsayer
Just quoting myself as I've realised this wouldn't work anyway because we still can't donate to other people's AWs on the mobile app. Inno, please can we at least have the donation problem sorted out, then it would be possible to work around?
This wouldn't work for me as if you don't have both messaging and KP donation you still can't exclusively use the app and need to make use of a combination of app and desktop, bouncing backwards and forwards between the two. If I'm having to abandon the app to view messages on the desktop version of the game then I can just as easily donate KP while I'm at it. In addition, there are a number of people in my FS who really don't want to use Discord (I'm one of them :D)

Pauly7

Magus
This wouldn't work for me as if you don't have both messaging and KP donation you still can't exclusively use the app and need to make use of a combination of app and desktop, bouncing backwards and forwards between the two.
If we have just KP donation then using the Discord mobile app (or something similar) the whole process can be achieved. It's not ideal and involves the use of two apps, of course, but that still counts as a workaround that would make KP swapping possible without the desktop.
In addition, there are a number of people in my FS who really don't want to use Discord (I'm one of them :D)
OK, but that's a separate issue. Many fellows in my FS are also not keen. Personally I don't see why. There is a very small download for the desktop app which constantly runs in the background using hardly any memory. Flicking to Discord to type a message is no more difficult than opening the chat window or a message. It also offers so many advantages as it's much easier to converse, plus the use of 'modern' aspects like emojis and the ability to post pictures (the latter of which is very often helpful either socially or to share game related things.)

I'm not on the Discord payroll or anything(!) I will just find it all round better and easier until Elvenar joins the modern world with communications. Don't even get me started on having to constantly restart swap threads because they slow down with every extra message posted until they are quickly unusable.

EdwardTrunk

Soothsayer
OK, but that's a separate issue. Many fellows in my FS are also not keen. Personally I don't see why.

I think we'll have to agree to differ as I really don't share your enthusiasm for Discord at all. Personally, I don't want a bunch of emojis, voice chat, the ability to post pictures or any so-called 'modern' aspects. I, and many others, simply want to be able to communicate with each other using text from within the app. Speaking as someone with a background in software development, I also think it would be a sorry state of affairs if Inno lacked the ability to include a messaging function within the app. It really isn't the big deal it's being made out to be.

RainbowElvira

Sorcerer
I agree that the Elvenar messaging is very basic. It lacks any kind of comfort but it is sufficient, IMHO. If you need something more decent in your fellowship, then it's ok to have a fellowship website or Discord or Google Docs, etc. additionally. The game itself should be playable without these. I do not think this is the case when it is impossible to contact other players. Granted, inside the fellowship, you can use (rather abuse) the chat - but it's not the same.

My FS uses an external spreadsheet, so for KP swapping we do not need messaging for this. However, it is not satisfactory for me to send a message to the fellowship and only half of the people do receive it.

Fyrebird

Spellcaster
While spreadsheets and Google docs may work internally for a fellowship, we have no way of contacting players OUTSIDE the fellowship. This has been my greatest frustration in recruiting... I have send ooooodles of messages that I never know whether got received or not.

You have my vote for app messaging... cumon Inno, give us a break here :)

Pauly7

Magus
I also think it would be a sorry state of affairs if Inno lacked the ability to include a messaging function within the app. It really isn't the big deal it's being made out to be.
This much we can agree on for sure. If any one of the existing IM apps can run with all their bells and whistles at the same time as the Elvenar app running then I can't see any reason why messaging would be too resource heavy on a smart phone as they have said before.

Lelanya

Mentor
I think we'll have to agree to differ as I really don't share your enthusiasm for Discord at all. Personally, I don't want a bunch of emojis, voice chat, the ability to post pictures or any so-called 'modern' aspects. I, and many others, simply want to be able to communicate with each other using text from within the app. Speaking as someone with a background in software development, I also think it would be a sorry state of affairs if Inno lacked the ability to include a messaging function within the app. It really isn't the big deal it's being made out to be.
I like the full size messge window. The small window on Elvenar leads to fragmentation of thought, and just feeds a hasty approach that lacks thought. Also, here we are arguing about Elvenar's mail. It gets deleted every 60 days, gets slow after 175, slower yet after 225, and impossible after 400 replies. Scrolling gets quite difficult as well.

On Discord I can view a large message, and pin anything important we share with each other, like quest lists. Nothing ever gets deleted. Separate channels can be created, so our collected wisdom can be preserved.

Yes Discord can seem invasive but that is simply a matter of configuring settings to suit your play style. Best of all I can call a friend anywhere in the whole world. All because Inno breaks chat periodically AND won't give us a decent messaging system. So all in all, I have to say, perfect!!

They've told us plainly they won't give us this, folks. I too argued hotly for this level of parity but we're wasting our time. I've found a better solution.

I do agree, KP donations to others would be nice

FieryArien

Necromancer
They've told us plainly they won't give us this, folks. I too argued hotly for this level of parity but we're wasting our time.
Please post a link to that information [and players’ arguments]. Thanks! I failed to find that when I tried. :-(

EdwardTrunk

Soothsayer
I like the full size messge window. The small window on Elvenar leads to fragmentation of thought, and just feeds a hasty approach that lacks thought. Also, here we are arguing about Elvenar's mail. It gets deleted every 60 days, gets slow after 175, slower yet after 225, and impossible after 400 replies. Scrolling gets quite difficult as well.
I can't argue with any of the above but what I can say is that it absolutely doesn't have to be that way. The small window, the performance issues, the general lack of functionality and so on are down to the way it has been designed and coded/implemented. I really don't know for a fact but it all gives the impression of having been bolted on as an afterthought. Good communication within a fellowship is essential - even more so these days - and I think the messaging system should be a priority for Inno rather than all the other bells and whistles. Of course, they might take a view that it doesn't matter to their bottom line and that providing all the 'new stuff' is likely to be more lucrative but if personal experience is anything to go by they're in danger of losing more and more players through frustration, especially as genuine communication between players and developers appears to be largely non-existent.

Fyrebird

Spellcaster
I recently saw that Forge of Empires (also an INNO game) has messaging and notifications on app... are they saying that Elvenar is a technologically inferior game? I'm sure that would annoy those who pay with not-so-inferior money... #justsaying

DeletedUser3097

Thank you for all your comments about messaging for the app- they have been forwarded both now and in the past. Messaging for the app has not been ruled out but there is no further news to share at this present time about this. Once there is, we will certainly let you know!

FieryArien

Necromancer
Ouch, this is actually very discouraging information:
Messaging for the app has not been ruled out
We indeed seem to be out of luck there. :(
I can’t believe the priority of this feature isn’t high enough! :mad:

(That’s not meant against Dizzy Lizzie, I realize she is just a messenger and has no say in this matter. We don’t hurt messengers.)

Killiak

Artisan
No, it's the opposite, there is just no news to share at the moment.

Since the players consider this very important and of high prioritization, I am going to disagree with you stating that "it's the opposite".

However, we all know that Inno does quite poorly in communicating with the (senior) game mods / community managers.

EdwardTrunk

Soothsayer
Thank you for all your comments about messaging for the app- they have been forwarded both now and in the past. Messaging for the app has not been ruled out but there is no further news to share at this present time about this. Once there is, we will certainly let you know!
This isn't aimed at you as you can only pass on whatever information you are given but taken at face value it's a totally meaningless statement that actually tells us nothing. I don't think it's an unreasonable question to ask the developers and I'm totally baffled as to why they can't or won't provide an answer. Also, if they're not going to offer messaging in the app I'd love to know why and "because it would make the app too big" or whatever the previous rumour was, is nonsense. :mad:

FieryArien

Necromancer
I found an interesting piece of information on the German forum. Granted, my German isn’t that great :rolleyes: (currently B1), but from what I understood the messaging is already quite high in the plan/priority list. The info is from last May and it also talks about the “news” feature, which was indeed in meantime launched in the app. My hopes for getting messaging in the app just got upgraded from “will we ever get it” into “hopefully within a year” category. :)
Frage: Wird es noch dieses Jahr weitere Anpassungen in der App geben? Speziell wird gefragt nach:
  1. durch das Antike Wunder "Kristall-Leuchtturm" erhält man Kisten bei der Nachbarschaftshilfe. In der App erhält man diese nicht, was das Wunder abwertet. Kommt dieses Feature?
  2. wann wird es möglich sein, in Antike Wunder anderer Spieler über die App Wissenspunkte zu spenden?
  3. wann kommt ein Newsfenster für die App?
  4. wann wird es möglich sein, Nachrichten über die App an andere Spieler zu schicken?
Antwort: Derzeit hat das Benachrichtigungsfenster für News die höchste Priorität der genannten Wünsche und soll sehr bald umgesetzt werden. Mit etwas Glück wird auch noch die Nachrichtenfunktion noch in diesem Jahr umgesetzt. Auch das spenden in fremde Wunder soll ermöglicht werden, so wie die Truhen bei der NBH. Diese werden aber wohl noch ein wenig auf sich warten lassen.
Source: Bericht zum Teamtreffen 2019 und eure Fragen an die Macher von Elvenar