• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Video Ad's

m4rt1n

Adept
I just tried it and it's for 24 hrs. Not sure whether its timing is related to Hobby Room as I maxed the timing there by watching all available ads just before fighting.

Seems random to me, today I got 4h 50m after using one while fighting the spire... who knows...

Silly Bubbles

Necromancer
I agree, having been a former moderator for miniclip.com and 8ballpool.com (same company and how I found Inno Games as they were promoted there) I have seen first hand how free to play eventually becomes watch a few ad's then on to go premium ad free.

Sadly the slippery slope has begun, letting 75 staff go shows it, now the €100m+ company suits need more...

It all depends on us, players. The company will not run a game that is losing money. There are a lot of employees, investors (retirees) and our entertainment ( :D) that depend on it. They are already very generous providing a game that can be played for free without intrusive ads. The less players' support, the more ads and the worse game.

m4rt1n

Adept
It all depends on us, players. The company will not run a game that is losing money. There are a lot of employees, investors (retirees) and our entertainment ( :D) that depend on it. They are already very generous providing a game that can be played for free without intrusive ads. The less players' support, the more ads and the worse game.

There are enough spenders already, company revenues are on the up before any ad's were introduced, greed comes to mind...

Silly Bubbles

Necromancer
There are enough spenders already, company revenues are on the up before any ad's were introduced, greed comes to mind...

How do you know that? Based on what the company does (layoffs, ads) and the increase of cost of living (entertainment is the first thing that people cut their expenditure on), it's not that rosy.

m4rt1n

Adept
How do you know that? Based on what the company does (layoffs, ads) and the increase of cost of living (entertainment is the first thing that people cut their expenditure on), it's not that rosy.
The company reached a turnover of 220 million a year in 2020, more info out there, will try and find more if you really don't believe me or others, just trying to understand. I know you love the game, I do as do many others here. :)

Revenue from the app's alone last month on IOS https://app.sensortower.com/ios/publisher/innogames/435365770

Then there is googleplay and sonyplaystore +all PC purchases around the world, doesn't look like a company in trouble to me...

Last edited:

Silly Bubbles

Necromancer
The company reached a turnover of 220 million a year in 2020, more info out there, will try and find more if you really don't believe me or others, just trying to understand. I know you love the game, I do as do many others here. :)

Revenue from the app's alone last month on IOS https://app.sensortower.com/ios/publisher/innogames/435365770

Then there is googleplay and sonyplaystore +all PC purchases around the world, doesn't look like a company in trouble to me...

Turnover/revenue is quite different to profit and also 2020 is three years ago when Covid was on and a lot of boredom. I still don't understand how a company that gives a free game can be called greedy. Whatever money they make, they deserve. If a person was that generous to me, I wouldn't call them greedy.

m4rt1n

Adept
Turnover/revenue is quite different to profit and also 2020 is three years ago when Covid was on and a lot of boredom. I still don't understand how a company that gives a free game can be called greedy. Whatever money they make, they deserve. If a person was that generous to me, I wouldn't call them greedy.
Then feel free to watch the ad's and have them in your gameplay, if they become compulsory in the future (as many other games have) for things like entering the spire, tournament etc then sadly I will bid farewell after many happy years here, other games start out small with ad's then they become part of the game, my main reason for playing is no ad's, I have quit many other games over the years due to this tactic and am seriously concerned this will happen here.

Silly Bubbles

Necromancer
Then feel free to watch the ad's and have them in your gameplay, if they become compulsory in the future (as many other games have) for things like entering the spire, tournament etc then sadly I will bid farewell after many happy years here, other games start out small with ad's then they become part of the game, my main reason for playing is no ad's, I have quit many other games over the years due to this tactic and am seriously concerned this will happen here.

I love this game so I'll keep playing and supporting. And when there's more players like me, there won't be more ads and the current ones might even disappear. I'd be careful about self-fulfilling prophecy.

m4rt1n

Adept
I love this game so I'll keep playing and supporting. And when there's more players like me, there won't be more ads and the current ones might even disappear. I'd be careful about self-fulfilling prophecy.

I love this game too and have paid for things at times, supported it fully for 7 years, I don't feel you understand the implications of ad's eventually being forced on players, it will be the game's downfall. Seen it so many times over the years with other games sadly, it is a well practiced business model that Inno is now following.

A vast proportion of players are here (source beta and my interactions with my fellows and other players over 7 years) because it was ad free, no pressure, spend something now and again or play completely free as you feel like.

Also the wording "There is a treasure in your city" should say "An ad is available to watch in your city for a meagre prize"

Silly Bubbles

Necromancer
I love this game too and have paid for things at times, supported it fully for 7 years, I don't feel you understand the implications of ad's eventually being forced on players, it will be the game's downfall. Seen it so many times over the years with other games sadly, it is a well practiced business model that Inno is now following.

A vast proportion of players are here (source beta and my interactions with my fellows and other players over 7 years) because it was ad free, no pressure, spend something now and again or play completely free as you feel like.

Also the wording "There is a treasure in your city" should say "An ad is available to watch in your city for a meagre prize"

So let's do our best for it not to happen. We both want the same thing. Let's help the game to get through rough times and things will improve. They resisted for a long time to add the ads so I don't think they like doing it, we don't either. But when we start supporting them even less, things will get even worse. If you really want to be right about your prediction then you will try for it to come true so let's not do that.

I'm not sure how to explain it any better so this is it from me. It starts going in circles.

m4rt1n

Adept
So let's do our best for it not to happen. We both want the same thing. Let's help the game to get through rough times and things will improve. They resisted for a long time to add the ads so I don't think they like doing it, we don't either. But when we start supporting them even less, things will get even worse. If you really want to be right about your prediction then you will try for it to come true so let's not do that.

I'm not sure how to explain it any better so this is it from me. It starts going in circles.

Ok thank you, I appreciate your perspective but hope also to hear the views of many more players. :)

C-Nymph

Necromancer
lets not forget that they do need money to keep this game alive and it's better when the money comes from advertising than from players' pockets.
The thing is, the ads are not a replacement for the other cash grab moments. They will still offer very expensive diamond and other 'offers', they still decide to make things cost money instead of diamonds (like the season pass), they won't stop that, it's AND, not OR. And most importantly, without our large player base, they wouldn't even be able to run ads, because companies wouldn't want to invest in this game. It's because of us, that they are even able to run ads. We are their source of revenue, not the ads.

So let's do our best for it not to happen.

For your sake, I really hope that they think about their players this way. But in all reality, I think this way of thinking is rather naive. It's not a self-fulfilling prophecy, it's a rational expectation based on experience with multiple games that went in this direction, and also based on how this game has (d)evolved over the years. I love playing this game too very much, or I wouldn't have kept playing for more than 7 years, and with 3 cities. But I have a very bad feeling about the direction this game is headed in... It all went downhill after MTG got their hands on the majority share in the Inno-stakes. It's because of them that this is all happening, not so much Inno developers. Like @Killiak said, it's the suits up top that determine what happens with the game. And suits generally only care about money, not individual players.

I share @m4rt1n's sentiment in this:
If they [the ads] become compulsory in the future (as many other games have) for things like entering the spire, tournament etc then sadly I will bid farewell after many happy years here

Last edited:

Killiak

Artisan
Elvenar has always been profitable for the company, it's just that their outlook on the game changed.
So why did it change? Well, another company bought (part of) Inno and became a large influence on how they run their business. Later on they bought even more and now have a controlling share of 51%.

We have seen information before that users who spend money on Elvenar, on average, spend most of their money within the first 6 months. Inno, and their owner, are thus the most interested in a decent amount of user acquisition. If you stay after 6 months, that's just an added bonus.
The ads then add a good bit of revenue and are easy profit of course because there is relatively little cost attached to running ads on a game.
Ads profit AND player-based profit? MTG go nom nom nom.

So hey, over half of the revenue already came from mobile in 2019!:

All this information is available publicly. There are plenty of articles on Inno, MTG, Elvenar, and all the financial info is free to read. All it takes to know these things is the ability to use google and to read.

Elvenar is going down the mobile game road, and thus we will only see more adds, mandatory adds and them being further integrated into the game. It has happened to most of the game companies and games that were acquired by MTG, and Inno / Elvenar is clearly no exeption. No single player or small group of players is going to be of any influence on this process, because we are just a number on a spreadsheet.

Welcome to reality.

Ok thank you, I appreciate your perspective but hope also to hear the views of many more players. :)

Well, my perspective is what I wrote, but to add a bit more to it;
The only way to force change is if the players of Elvenar would show, en masse, that they do not want these changes. So they would all have to stop paying the company and/or quit the game. We are talking LARGE numbers here, at least 30% all at once.,
That makes it like a modern day prisoner's dilemma. Nobody wants to be the first to quit the game over what a game company does, or lose the game-benefits their disposable income brings them, since nobody is sure if the other player(s) will follow through as well. So everybody just.... doesn't move and hopes for the best.

Last edited:

Silly Bubbles

Necromancer
But in all reality, I think this way of thinking is rather naive.
All it takes to know these things is the ability to use google and to read.
Welcome to reality.

I'd love to borrow your crystal ball and Google is not it. The future is not set in stone, we all can influence it, including you. This is a public forum and players do read it and share it with others. Fake news can spread very quickly.

Taku21

Dreamer
One appeared in my city, I clicked it and my adblocker stopped it :rolleyes:
I've disabled the adblocker but it's gone, hopefully it returns....
I don't want to teach Grandma to suck eggs, but are you clear on the source of these ads (are they 3rd party?), the purpose of your ad blocker and the potential consequences of de-activating it?

Jake65

Sage
I don't want to teach Grandma to suck eggs, but are you clear on the source of these ads (are they 3rd party?), the purpose of your ad blocker and the potential consequences of de-activating it?
No, yes, sort of. :rolleyes:
I have since re-activated it but thanks for drawing attention to it. It is a dice-roll running without it.

Hekata

Artisan
Once that happens then I will say "You were right". At this moment, I don't worry about something that hasn't happened yet. The feedback on ads is not that great for them to make it any bigger. Also, lets not forget that they do need money to keep this game alive and it's better when the money comes from advertising than from players' pockets.
Are you suggesting that because the feedback on ads has been mostly negative they might not add more ads (or make them must-watch to play)? Because I think we all remember the almost unanimously negative feedback (a lot of people created forums accounts just for that occasion) about the tournament changes (and especially about the AWs being used in the formula) and yet it's still here without a single change to it since it was introduced. And that change didn't make any profit to Inno (not directly anyway) while this does.