• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Upcoming Tournament Changes June 2021

anonglitch

Co-Community Manager
Elvenar Team
Dear Humans and Elves,

Please use this thread to discuss the Tournament Changes that will come to Elvenar on the 15th of June.

We're looking forward to your feedback. :)

Kind regards,
Your Elvenar Team

Hello,

this is my feedback: I did not see any warning prior to these changes and got surprised when solving encounters did not only give marble relics like I expected. The announcement was posted right before the changes went live. Perhaps it would have been better to announce such changes in advance so that players could stack up on relics they need one last time before switching over to the new system. Also I do not like this change, as I need marble relics more than other relics, and with this new system I am forced to gather relics I don't need, instead of being able to focus on only gathering relics I need. It confuses me that the game wants us to gather all different kinds of relics at about the same rate but relics consumption is heavily unbalanced in the magic academy.

Thank you for reading.

kimkimkim

Summoner
@MagneticNorth - it's always a good idea to check out the Beta threads that are here on the forums.....this change to the tournaments was mentioned there as a head's up to what may come to live servers......I welcome all changes, just need to learn to adjust as you go

FieryArien

Necromancer
Ehm, are we again used for a second round of testing of the tournament changes? Beta -> EN -> everyone? I’ve got an account on the German server and I got just marble relics there from the tournament. Is this introduced on some other servers beside EN?

As for the change itself: I think it’s a good idea to provide more relics types in each tournament. It also allows brand new players to acquire the boosts continuously/steadily through longer period of time instead of having a chance once every 9 weeks. I remember that the jump in production was silly. And the period of time before the boost tournament finally came was painful.

For players who were planning a big push in the nearest tournament the transition period will be very tough, though. Was there really no option to ease their pain?

kimkimkim

Summoner
@Ethereal Gaia you do know that relics are used in other places besides the magic academy......what you may not use in the magic academy can and will be used when you upgrade ancient wonders and also for boosting your standard goods then your sentient goods....so you would want those other relics

SkyRider99

Mentor
The fights seem to be fairer and the extra KPs offered are useful. (Only round #1 done so far though)

I would rather have the old single relic tournament though. I can see how the new system benefits new players, but we shouldn't ignore advanced players either.

Could players be offered a choice at the beginning of the tournament? For example, Mixed Relics or Single Relics.

Pauly7

Magus
The fights seem to be fairer and the extra KPs offered are useful. (Only round #1 done so far though)
There aren't extra KP... well, actually there are a few extra, but not many. You get 1KP per province in round 1, but only 4 in round 2.

Last edited:

Heymrdiedier

Enchanter
Well i guess we could just give the same feedback here as on beta, since whats released here is identical.

1 while we all agree this could help the very new players a little bit. It also hurts the mid lower players who want to work for their bonus. So why not compromise? Give the first 9 rounds the alternating relics. from 10+ onwards, just give the relics of the week.
2 some players will be doing less in tournament now because they are getting bonusrelics that have absolutely no use to them, So they will skip those rounds. This makes going to 10 chests harder for some FS. Give us something to do with the relics we now already have over 10k of? give some spells that use the bonus relics as well, or allow us to trade them for others.
3 If the issue is that some people are using relics they need in spells, why don't you transform spell making. Allow us to turn all 9 of our relics into spellbuilding blocks, at the same rate the magic academy works now (relic per hour per level) and then let us instantly create the spells we want/need from those spellbuilding blocks. That way each player can choose wich relic he wants to spend on his spells.

Last edited:

DanDan1984

Novice
I am only in chapter 3, so am presumably one of those this change is intended to help. However it does not for several reasons specific to me and other reasons which are more general (although they are linked so the specificpoint should still be considered here).

Specific reasons
I have managed to get 500 tier 2 and 3 boosted good relics and was about to push for the final 140 tier 1 planks relics I needed. I could have done this in three weeks time on the next tournament and have been saving goods building armies for this purpose. However to get these relics will now take over 9x longer as the planks relics will be spread over many tournaments.

Mix specific and general
I said 9x longer above for simplicity but this is not correct and where it stats becoming more general. Unsurprisingly I cannot push as hard every week and therefore it will take longer than 9 weeks.

General
As with all games you have limited resources and time. It is then up to the player how best to use these.
Under the old tournament style this gave the player more flexibility on how to use their resources.

Given above example the cost of 50 plank relics (or any quanity of a specific relic) has actually increased massively as you have to do far more encounters to get these relics, however the resources available have not increased.

The fact that I have over 500 relics for 2 of my boosted goods in chapter 3 means that the impact for players is really limited to very very new players at the expense of all longer term players.

If you want to help new players without impacting all others I would suggest amend this so that maybe the first 5 tournament encounters are mixed and there after they revert to the specific weekly relic. This would allow new players to gain some earlier with out impacting everyone else as dramatically.

SkyRider99

Mentor
There aren't extra KP... well, actually there are a few extra, but not many. You get 1KP per province in round 1, but only 4 in round 2.

I see what you mean @Pauly7. I've just finished round #3 and it's looking like they've reduced the indivdual KPs from some rounds in order to spread them across all the rounds at a reduced rate. It'll probably be about the same for players like me who try for all six rounds, but I don't know about those who play for the big KP harvest and then stop. It will probably also return less KPs to players who can't attend for all rounds, either because they have insufficient resources, or because they're busy elsewhere.

I'm still not a fan of the mixed relics system. Good feedback from Ch III player @DanDan1984. I'd go for a quicker change to the relic choice; maybe after three rounds.

My preference is still to be offered a choice at the start of the tournament: Do you want Mixed Relics, or Single Relics?

@Ethereal Gaia you do know that relics are used in other places besides the magic academy......what you may not use in the magic academy can and will be used when you upgrade ancient wonders and also for boosting your standard goods then your sentient goods....so you would want those other relics
Yes I am fully aware thanks as have been playing for a long time and have plenty of the other relics, hence my preference for the tournaments to go back to the original format of one specific relic.

Pauly7

Magus
I've just finished round #3 and it's looking like they've reduced the indivdual KPs from some rounds in order to spread them across all the rounds at a reduced rate. It'll probably be about the same for players like me who try for all six rounds, but I don't know about those who play for the big KP harvest and then stop. It will probably also return less KPs to players who can't attend for all rounds, either because they have insufficient resources, or because they're busy elsewhere.
The KP spread is one thing that's OK. It's now impossible to receive less KP than you did previously, doing the same provinces. The rewards in provinces 1-9 are split a bit differently and are now slightly more. In provinces 10+ you get 1KP per province in rounds 1, 3 and 4. You get 4KP per province in rounds 2 and 5. Weirdly, round 6 is exactly the same as in the old system.

CrazyWizard

Shaman
I am only in chapter 3, so am presumably one of those this change is intended to help. However it does not for several reasons specific to me and other reasons which are more general (although they are linked so the specificpoint should still be considered here).

Specific reasons
I have managed to get 500 tier 2 and 3 boosted good relics and was about to push for the final 140 tier 1 planks relics I needed. I could have done this in three weeks time on the next tournament and have been saving goods building armies for this purpose. However to get these relics will now take over 9x longer as the planks relics will be spread over many tournaments.
This is a teething issue for people who moce from the old to the new system.
If you consistenly play in the tournaments over a 9 week period you will get the same amount of relics as before.
But you have already played the old game of going all out in "bonus weeks" and build up your relic bonus that way.

The idea is if you started today, you will see that your bonus production will go up a bit every week, all 3 bonusses will.
Instead of 1 bonus each 9 weeks for 3 weeks out of 9 weeks as you have 3 bonusses.

This for a player that starts today should lead to a more gradual and equal rise of its bonus production over all 3 goods. instead of having a 200% marble bonus and a 500% gem bonus.

zgniniarT

Novice
Planning tournaments differently was a huge part of the fun (linked to the freedom and the need to make decisions).
The relic part of the tournaments is now just gone completely because every week is the same.
Yes i still get them, but i don't have to do anything further.

less complexity -> more numb clicking -> less fun

It might be an improvement for new players, but nothing a part 2 tutorial + some cycle quests for the first 6 or 9 chapters couldn't have solved.

And btw that "Change in the costs of magic spells", where is it? I can't see a difference. Will it be rotated weekly then or what's the plan?

Come on, stop pretending upgrading wonders devours that many relics.
And the 2nd part of your argument is completely invalid. We talk about relic sinks, not about certain stocks that just have to be maintained as soon as you reached it.
My MA produces 95% MM spells, so i need only 2 types of relics (at least as long as a change isn't implemented), everything else is more than covered by the common minimum score most fellowships demand.

Last edited:

FieryArien

Necromancer
And btw that "Change in the costs of magic spells", where is it? I can't see a difference. Will it be rotated weekly then or what's the plan?
The required relics were changed. No spell asks for the same relic as you use for crafting CC. (There used to be an overlap, but I won’t tell you where, because I craft just CC all the time.)