• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Uneven Tournament Ability Between Small & Large Cities

DeletedUser

All along I've been hearing players saying that it gets tougher to play in the tournaments the more they progress through the chapters. I'm in Elementals now I'm I'm finding out that it's even worse that I thought. My troops virtually ran out on Wednesday, even though I'd started training them early and I had plenty. Not too long ago the troops were lasting until Friday or even Saturday!

I feel like leaving because I really enjoy the tournaments. Why does Inno do this? It leaves a bad taste in my mouth because they're such control freaks. Things should be more fair for players and not depend on the size of our cities.

DeletedUser7744

Perhaps larger cities should be able to cater since they have more resources? Perhaps this was Inno's reasoning?
-OR-
Like many people have mentioned here, people should start skipping optional troops size research?

DeletedUser

Perhaps larger cities should be able to cater since they have more resources? Perhaps this was Inno's reasoning?
-OR-
Like many people have mentioned here, people should start skipping optional troops size research?

I was thinking of perhaps only catering but that would mean giving up a heck of a lot of my ranking points as I delete my fighting AWs. It might have been Inno's reasoning but why would they think that? They've encouraged us to build up our fighting AWs etc for all this time so that woudn't be fair or just to expect us to abandon fighting. Some of us love fighting!

They make the Temple of the Toads (fighting AW) available just before Elementals so it doesn't look like they expect us to change to catering.

I've skipped the optional SS upgrades since about Chapter 4 and I'm still stuck nowl I really don't know what to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser7744

I was thinking of perhaps only catering but that would mean giving up a heck of a lot of my ranking points as I delete my fighting AWs
I don't mean for you to delete your existing AWs and cater every exclusively from now on, just cater the ones you cannot fight or when your troops have run out. I also cater when I ran out of troops or when I kept losing the battles.

It might have been Inno's reasoning but why would they think that?
From Inno's standpoint, that's something to do with buying Diamonds. Which is perfectly fine since they also need to make money.

I've skipped the optional SS upgrades since about Chapter 4 and I'm still stuck nowl I really don't know what to do.
Have you tried Mykan's basic Combat Guide? ("Key unit" for each province.) This way you only need to train 1 or 2 types of troops during tourney, and anticipate what to build next when the tourney ends. Also replace your Workshops with Armories during tourney, they share a similar level 1 stat for a reason.

RainbowElvira

Sorcerer
All along I've been hearing players saying that it gets tougher to play in the tournaments the more they progress through the chapters.

3 mandatory squad size upgrades for each chapter above woodelves is extremely painful, I know. On the other hand, my tourney score hasn't decreased yet. And 8 of the top 10 tournament players on EN1 atm are in Constructs. So I guess it feels worse than it actually is. You must also not forget that the Constructs offer two powerful wonders which will change things.

Last edited:

DeletedUser

Have you tried Mykan's basic Combat Guide? ("Key unit" for each province.) This way you only need to train 1 or 2 types of troops during tourney, and anticipate what to build next when the tourney ends. Also replace your Workshops with Armories during tourney, they share a similar level 1 stat for a reason.[/QUOTE]

I'll look into those suggestions, thank very much RainbowElvira :)

DeletedUser

3 mandatory squad size upgrades for each chapter above woodelves is extremely painful, I know. On the other hand, my tourney score hasn't decreased yet. And 8 of the top 10 tournament players on EN1 atm are in Constructs. So I guess it feels worse than it actually is. You must also not forget that the Constructs offer two powerful wonders which will change things.

That's good news about the Wonder! Thanks :)

DeletedUser

-OR-

Surpisingly, after such a bad start to the week I'm third in the FS and I've got a good score. I kept up wih the troop training of course and somehow they haven't let me down yet. As to your question about sqaud size research I wish Inno would somehow let people know about this right from the start. I was lucky enough to have a very knowledgeable team mate who found out and told us when I was at level 4, but I've known many, many people who don't find out until much later chapters. It's not their fault they don't know and it's not fair that they're not told.

Inno even makes it seem by their dialogue that the SS upgrades will be helpful for the player by saying it will increase their Squad Sizes while neglecting to mention that the enemies squad sizes also increase and the goods and troops needed does also. Inno you should be more transparent because players don't like sneakiness and deceipt!

DeletedUser

Ooops thanks for letting me know El, I see it was Rigr I should've thanked. Thanks very much for your suggestions, which might come in handy Rigr :).

DeletedUser

Have you tried Mykan's basic Combat Guide? ("Key unit" for each province.) This way you only need to train 1 or 2 types of troops during tourney, and anticipate what to build next when the tourney ends. Also replace your Workshops with Armories during tourney, they share a similar level 1 stat for a reason.[/QUOTE]

Which forum is this in? I tried to access the guide but it said I'm not logged in but I'm logged in here.

Deleted User - 1634960

@Rinkidink The link points to Mykan's Guide on the US Forum. You should be able to read it there without logging in. A version of it also exists on this Forum, in the Community Corner, pinned under Player Guides and Strategies. or click here. ;)

DeletedUser

@Rinkidink The link points to Mykan's Guide on the US Forum. You should be able to read it there without logging in. A version of it also exists on this Forum, in the Community Corner, pinned under Player Guides and Strategies. or click here. ;)

Thanks Rilian, I typed it into Ecosia last night and I've read most of it.

DeletedUser

I don't mean for you to delete your existing AWs and cater every exclusively from now on, just cater the ones you cannot fight or when your troops have run out. I also cater when I ran out of troops or when I kept losing the battles.

From Inno's standpoint, that's something to do with buying Diamonds. Which is perfectly fine since they also need to make money.

Have you tried Mykan's basic Combat Guide? ("Key unit" for each province.) This way you only need to train 1 or 2 types of troops during tourney, and anticipate what to build next when the tourney ends. Also replace your Workshops with Armories during tourney, they share a similar level 1 stat for a reason.

I've been using Gems of Knowledgek Key Unir info like most people but I'll give Mykand Guide a go. What's the thing about Workshops and Workshops sharing similar levels for a reason about? I don't understand that at all!!

Deleted User - 341074

@Rinkidink
Have you considered crafting military buildings?
The 5 day MMM one is amazing during Gem and Marble tournaments
The 5 day ELR is perfect for Steel
The 5 day UUU is good for everything, so I recommend using it for scrolls because scrolls sucks.

Also getting some Vallors and Grounds of orc strat from crafting can make a huge difference to your production. At the extreme end if you have 10 of each you never need to train heavy ranged or heavy melee, leaving you more time to train the other stuff.

DeletedUser7744

I've been using Gems of Knowledgek Key Unir info like most people but I'll give Mykand Guide a go
Do try the guide, it has helped me immensely on Toruneys.

What's the thing about Workshops and Workshops sharing similar levels for a reason about? I don't understand that at all!!
It means a level 1 Workshop share the same requirement with a level 1 Armory: "2x2 building that requires 18 population." Even the rank point is similar: 18 pts. Therefore, you can switch back and forth between these two buildings depending on needs, ie. "build more level 1 Workshops during Fellowship Adventure; build more level 1 Armories during Tourney."

DeletedUser1874

-OR-

If anything, they made things worst. In construct chapter, I run out of troops in 2 days (though admittedly I'm not battle-focused) however the catering costs range from 9 to 20k resources of EACH tier, which is more than my production can handle, and I don't even have the last mandatory squad size upgrade done yet (before you ask, yes, I skipped the optional ones!).

Moreover, my production is, I expect, larger than that of the average player because I focused a lot on mountain halls/golden abyss, thus granting me nice boost in production and a large one in population, and on top of that, I also have a large number of magic residences and some of the best population-per-tile event buildings which I boosted with Royal Restoration, which allow me to have population enough to afford more manufactories than the average non-paying player for sure. Despite that I often have to do large cycles of MM spells just to bring my production back to positive values, so I'd say that there definitely is the problem with numbers.

There have been threads for months if not a year already, and all the arguments I see defending the current approach seem rather invalid to me, especially the one about "Inno needing money". I give Inno plenty of money. I don't feel rewarded for that, struggling as I do with tournament costs just to end up with very mediocre scores, when players in early chapters can easily hit 6k and up. Most of the time I can't even help people in lower chapters / "dedicated tournamentalists" in earlier chapter because even just a little bunch of cross-tier trades would throw my already pitiful economy into chaos.

The cost curve is just too steep.

RainbowElvira

Sorcerer
@Vetrinus I agree that catering the tournaments gets harder the further you advance in the game. As opposed to the fighters, there is very little you can do to compensate for the cost increase that comes with each squad size upgrade. I think it's not fair, but to be honest, I have no clue how this problem could possibly be solved. The way I see it, you have the choice to (auto-)fight or to live with less tournament rewards :(.

I'm with you with everything above, but this
Most of the time I can't even help people in lower chapters / "dedicated tournamentalists" in earlier chapter because even just a little bunch of cross-tier trades would throw my already pitiful economy into chaos
smells a bit like pushing :oops:.

Deleted User - 341074

smells a bit like pushing :oops:.
I dunno... If you are in an 8 chest mixed FS as a chapter 14 player, would you rather
a) pay 200,000 of each tier of goods to get
  • 20 more KP,
  • 4 PoP spells and
  • 264 Tournament points or
b) give your chapter 4-6 fellows a total of 200,000 of each tier of goods so that they get a whole buttload of individual rewards, and your FS reaches the 10th chest, granting you more rewards than option "a" above?

Is it pushing when both sides massively benefit and get more than they would alone?

Deleted User - 1759805

It's not pushing if you don't control both accounts. Charity is not a punishable offence, even if both parties benefit. But donating directly to yourself is not charity.