• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

City Turning the building

DeletedUser4464

:) Hello Magic Twinkles here,

This is my first time commenting .... This is just an idea for the engineers to fix , if it's possible can the players be able to turn their buildings around facing the way they want ..... instead of having them just face one ..... stupid way .... it would make it more fun ....... adding this feature would make setting up their Elvan City much better ... I know i would love to be able to turn my home's in different directions , not just the homes everything ...

Thanx Much ,

Magic Twinkles

DeletedUser4464

This has been asked before. The answer was a simple no. :(
o_O Thanks for responding , i didn't know this , they should consider it .. it makes the game better (JMHO) and they wonder why people move on to other games ...

cwgiii

Shaman
I believe the response from the developers also pointed out that they intentionally want people to have the strategic challenge of piecing their city together with different shapes and orientations for buildings (initially and as they develop).

The Elven Architect is and awesome resource to be able to plan ahead for such cases.

http://www.elvenarchitect.com/

DeletedUser3466

it's not a great solution but until things change the best option is try to leave yourself a little spare room so when you have to upgrade and move things around you have some "wiggle room"

DeletedUser4591

this is so irritating having all the buildings face one way

DeletedUser3466

this is so irritating having all the buildings face one way
I hate to say it but if we could arrange the buildings there'd be zero strategy to the city building, yes it's a pain but it also forces you to really think about where you put things and how you plan your city.

I'm just glad I don't have to worry about warlords living next door, so many city builder games are nothing more than contests to see who can spend more real world money on upgrades and at the very worst running an online protection racket for special world barriers so you can safeguard all your hard work from looting neighbors! If having all my building facing the same way is the cost - bring it on!

DeletedUser

I hate to say it but if we could arrange the buildings there'd be zero strategy to the city building

As opposed to the elaborate strategy of building with fixed shapes? There is no more strategy involved now. There would be, if players would have to choose the optimum position of buildings, because the entire process would be more variable. Right now there's basically 2-3 layouts that work and everybody is using them -- no strategy in that.

That said, I don't feel it's really necessary to be able to rotate buildings at this point -- what we need more is a "sandbox" area to put buildings in when we need to rearrange the town. Right now it's really difficult to move things, especially bigger buildings. Sometimes the only way to rearrange the city is to sell some buildings to make space for moving, and then rebuild them -- completely pointless.

There should also be storage for diamond-bought buildings because obviously those cannot be sold and rebuilt when necessary.

DeletedUser3032

That said, I don't feel it's really necessary to be able to rotate buildings at this point -- what we need more is a "sandbox" area to put buildings in when we need to rearrange the town. Right now it's really difficult to move things, especially bigger buildings. Sometimes the only way to rearrange the city is to sell some buildings to make space for moving, and then rebuild them

You need plan and think ahead. That's strategy. Think 'should I place this culture building for a few hundred population? but it takes up 5x6'. Better off leveling up the houses you have to their current max in the same size and save those 30 tiles for moving buildings around in. Or if it's a pure culture building 'do I need 1k culture? It really isn't that many extra supplies'. You just need to wait an extra day to make the supplies you would have with the culture building, no biggie.

Culture is easily replaced as you don't level it. So consider deleting them for a day until you have sorted your city out and then rebuild them or different ones to fit your left over space.

Not trying to teach you to suck eggs or anything.

cwgiii

Shaman
what we need more is a "sandbox" area to put buildings in when we need to rearrange the town.
Try using the Elven Architect:

http://www.elvenarchitect.com/

I find that this is a great help in planning and playing with different layouts, options for which event buildings to shoot for, and finding those hidden lost spaces behind a structure.

If you keep a reserve space open, so you can play "Tetris" with the buildings, it makes rearranging less of a hassle and you can do it whenever you wish. As opposed to waiting till the end of an age when you can delete guest race buildings to open up space. Also, I have heard that folks will delete roads to open up space temporarily for such moves.

There are several options out there already to be able to rearrange your city on your terms.

DeletedUser

Yeah, I do all that... it's just that it's so completely pointless to even have to delete buildings/roads that I then rebuild. It's an exercise in futility. Instead of picking up one building and swapping it with another, I first have to delete one -- what is the point?

Keeping empty space just as reserve for moving things is impractical, as space is the single most precious resource in this game.

Pauly7

Magus
I would like to be able to do this, but I think one main factor is the extra programming that would be involved in allowing the buildings to rotate. They would essentially need to quadruple the possible images of buildings that they have stored.

DeletedUser3542

The subject of rotated buildings is an old idea that has been explained again and again why it isn't possible to do this, so it won't happen.
rotated.png

DeletedUser3097

Thank you for you suggestion but as the developers have already indicated this is not likely to happen, I'll move this thread to archive. :)