• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Troop Selections

Pauly7

Magus
This applies mostly to the mobile app, but I think it's more or less the same on the browser version.

When opening up the troop selection screen on a tournament encounter it always defaults to showing the barracks troops to pick from. It would be very useful if the game would remember which type of troops a player picked from last and then on the next encounter default it to the same screen. If someone wishes to choose troops exclusively from either the Training Grounds or Merc Camp, this could save on so much needless clicking.

If someone is doing 50 tournament provinces then this change could save on 200 clicks per round. Not only that, but when playing on mobile I find that actually getting it to register when I've clicked that tiny arrow is very hit and miss. Technically the number of clicks could be almost double that.

I figure that it would be possible because they have used similar technology in other areas (i.e. it now remembers what position a player was on is their own city when returning and it now remembers what zoom scale a player was at when restarting multiple manufactories of the same type).

Whilst there could be occasions when time is saved by defaulting back to barracks troops, I think the benefit of what I am suggesting would far far outweigh it.

FieryArien

Necromancer
Not only that, but when playing on mobile I find that actually getting it to register when I've clicked that tiny arrow is very hit and miss.
The tiny arrow for switching between military buildings is killing me too. For me it would be great improvement, if this was addressed.

As for the rest of the suggestion:
I would love to be able to select default military building to be displayed in the fight screen.
But I wouldn’t like it, if it was being switched automatically based on the troops I used in previous encounter. The reason is it adds to the amount of things I have to watch/remember. When I open 50 provinces, I need everything as stable as possible. If the only thing I need to process is optimal troops selection, I can do it quicker than if I need to notice/remember which troops choice will be displayed each time around.

Pauly7

Magus
But I wouldn’t like it, if it was being switched automatically based on the troops I used in previous encounter. The reason is it adds to the amount of things I have to watch/remember. When I open 50 provinces, I need everything as stable as possible. If the only thing I need to process is optimal troops selection, I can do it quicker than if I need to notice/remember which troops choice will be displayed each time around.
Interesting... so within one round of a particular tournament would you be switching, by preference, between Barracks, Training Ground and Merc Camp for specific encounters?

FieryArien

Necromancer
Interesting... so within one round of a particular tournament would you be switching, by preference, between Barracks, Training Ground and Merc Camp for specific encounters?
Yes. Let’s use the current tournament as an example of this:
- Encounter with mix of Heavy Ranged and Light Melee. I’d use Vallorian if there were mostly ranged units. And I’d use Paladin if there were mostly melee units (they seem to perform better than Orcs, probably because of the attack range of 2).
- Just heavy ranged units, especially if it was one-unit encounter (those start to appear once a player reaches certain squad size). I’d use Banshee.

Of course there are easier tournaments. In steel I wouldn’t need to do that. ;-)

EDIT: I know there are also Mage units in the current tournament, but those are not relevant for the split above.

Gargon667

Mentor
This applies mostly to the mobile app, but I think it's more or less the same on the browser version.

When opening up the troop selection screen on a tournament encounter it always defaults to showing the barracks troops to pick from. It would be very useful if the game would remember which type of troops a player picked from last and then on the next encounter default it to the same screen. If someone wishes to choose troops exclusively from either the Training Grounds or Merc Camp, this could save on so much needless clicking.

If someone is doing 50 tournament provinces then this change could save on 200 clicks per round. Not only that, but when playing on mobile I find that actually getting it to register when I've clicked that tiny arrow is very hit and miss. Technically the number of clicks could be almost double that.

I figure that it would be possible because they have used similar technology in other areas (i.e. it now remembers what position a player was on is their own city when returning and it now remembers what zoom scale a player was at when restarting multiple manufactories of the same type).

Whilst there could be occasions when time is saved by defaulting back to barracks troops, I think the benefit of what I am suggesting would far far outweigh it.

First of all: The amount of clicking in tourneys has to be reduced. Troops selection is one in a long line of necessary improvements.

I had 2 options for that:

1. Remember the last used production building (as you suggested) is not going far enough, as has been pointed out by @FieryArien since often we do use units from more than 1 building.
Instead on the first page it should remember the 5 most (not last) used units, completely disregarding where they come from, because who cares which building they come from? Delete this list at the start of every tourney. Then after the first page can still be the 3 normal pages with all units so I can choose anyone of them, if I really have to.
Benefit: Nearly all of the units I will use during a tourney will be on page 1 (how often do you use more than 5 units during the same tounrey?)

2. A more complicated approach that requires a lot new programming: Give us something like 5 standard setups that we can fill with any combination of units we choose: So for example I can put in LR, M, M, LR, LR. When I go do the tourney, I click on this setup 1 and have all 5 slots filled in according to the setup. If I want to do something other than my 5 standard setups it would revert to the above mentioned system.

CrazyWizard

Shaman
1593188463694.png

Add a custom tab where you can set your favorite troops, you almost never use more than 5 different units in 1 tournament.

CrazyWizard

Shaman
Do not forget that anyting you come up with does have to fit onto the real estate of mobile (schreen).
And that real estate is very limited.

5 troop selections with visibility what you have choosen is almost impossible on a small screen.

Pauly7

Magus
Of course it would have to be able to default you to the custom tab still, otherwise we're back to where we were.

Gargon667

Mentor
Do not forget that anyting you come up with does have to fit onto the real estate of mobile (schreen).
And that real estate is very limited.

5 troop selections with visibility what you have choosen is almost impossible on a small screen.

true 5 might be too much/making it too small if it all has to fit on one screen. It could easily fit 5 icons containing the setups.

CrazyWizard

Shaman
You then have to remember wich icon is which setup?

many "older people" which is a decent portion of our playerbase, are already complaining about to small icons on mobile. (guess I am not old enough since I do not seem to have that issue)

I don't see how you could make it visible, unless you go with a scroll menu like Pokemon go has for there raid setup. but thats fine for something you so once a day to once every 10 min not 10x in 1 minute.

Gargon667

Mentor
Well what I imagine is the icons representing the selection, could be 5 vertical colour stripes, for the 5 unit types for example, you would have to remember that 1) five green is 5 Rangers and 2) five green is 5 Archers, since both would be all green, but other than that I think it should be easy enough to see the difference between for example Pink-Green-Green-Pink-Pink and Pink-Pink-Pink-Yellow-Yellow. Or Letters for the colour-blind? G-P-B-Y-M. Anyway I don´t really want to take this discussion too far on this detail. This is a very small part of a very big change that is necessary. And if this part doesn´t make it in the end, no big deal, all the other proposed changes need less programming time and have bigger positive effects, I think. I suppose for the average player this would be a feature of no big importance, it´s more for nerds that like fiddling with different setups :D

Pauly7

Magus
I'm not certain I'm following the whole colour coding options thing. Are you suggesting a way to have 5 completely different battle set-ups ready so that you just click one button and put all 5 pre-ordained troops in? If so, whilst it would be nice, we're running before we can walk I think, considering the difficulties of visibility.

I would be happy to just have the one custom tab, if I understood that part correctly, and hopefully at the start of a tournament (or whenever you choose) you could amend the 5 troops that are going to appear in the custom tab. On mobile I imagine a screen similar to the one where you enter the names of people to send a message to.

Also, if there is going to be one thing to push for then it is better to have some solidarity behind something which shouldn't represent too much programming difficulty for Inno.

CrazyWizard

Shaman
I think the custom tab with units 5 units you can preselect (and change whenever you will) is the more realistic approach.
It looks very similar to the current screen so it should not have any "visual" issues on mobile, unlike the preselection of troops.

Color coding or need to "remember" whats under which button I do not think thats a good way to go, even if thats the "faster way"

Gargon667

Mentor
I agree with both of you, easy solutions first! When we get that we can start talking about more fancy solutions!