• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Transparency button

SkyRider99

Mentor
I'd find it really helpful sometimes if I could temporarily make a building fade, or become transparent. It would help when trying to see what's behind, such as when laying new streets or deleting old ones.

I know you can click on the 'move' button and just shift a building to have a look behind, but once you drop the building back in place it's sometimes hard to see where that particular pesky tile behind is located so it can be moved/deleted.

This idea may not be interesting for small cities but when you have a large city with all huge high level buildings it's tricky to find one particular tile for your mouse to click on when it's obscured by the landscape/scenery.

Obviously not a big problem, but it'd make changing city layouts easier.

cwgiii

Shaman
It may not be exactly what you are looking for, but it can currently be done (kinda). I select the "move" button and pick up a small building (1X1). then, as you move it around the city, the larger structures do go transparent, so you can get a view of what lies behind.

Just a workaround, if you did not know about it.

BlueBlou

Illusionist
If I click on a street in edit mode, all the buildings go transparent. Have been like this on app for as long as I can remember.

Pauly7

Magus
But I think what @SkyRider99 is saying is that you have to put down the piece you're holding before you then can get to the little item you're looking for and by that point it disappears again.

I agree that a transparency feature would be nice to have, but it isn't often that I spend more than 2 or 3 seconds looking for something so I'm not hugely worried.

Last edited:

m4rt1n

Adept
But I think what @SkyRider99 is saying is that you have to put down the piece you're holding before you then can get to the little item you're looking for and by that point it disappears again.

I agree that a transparency feature would be nice to have, but it isn't often that I spend more than 2 or 3 seconds looking for something so I'm not hugely worries.

It can be very frustrating getting that tile or hidden unicorn even using the technique you suggest and I use, and has lead to me accidentally deleting before now so it would be more than welcome from me as I have to resort to a 3rd party site to check full layout these days to look behind my huge buildings.

Gargon667

Mentor
I couldn´t play this game without the elven architect lol. It´s bad enough trying to pick up a 1x1, even if you know where it is after you found it on the architect ;)
I would guess this is the main reason why most people playing this game waste various expansions worth of space to holes and lost buildings...

SkyRider99

Mentor
I notice today in the 'Questions and Help' forum that there is a new 'Hide buildings' button for the mobile app:

How does the Hide Buildings button work ?

Now for the PC version? :cool:

SkyRider99

Mentor
It's awesome. It turns your city into a plan view so you can see it like you would on Elven Architects when you want to move things around.

Oops. Yeah. After the colon punctuation at the end of my opening sentence, I was listing the thread title from "... the 'Questions and Help' forum ...".

I don't use the mobile app, but from the 'Questions and Help' forum thread titled, " How does the Hide Buildings button work ? " one can easily see how it operates and how helpful it would be. And even nicer if they implement on the PC version of the game :)

Pauly7

Magus
Oops. Yeah. After the colon punctuation at the end of my opening sentence, I was listing the thread title from "... the 'Questions and Help' forum ...".

I don't use the mobile app, but from the 'Questions and Help' forum thread titled, " How does the Hide Buildings button work ? " one can easily see how it operates and how helpful it would be. And even nicer if they implement on the PC version of the game :)

I made your quote a link ^^