• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

training grounds

i have a quest to upgrade my training grounds to 29 (it is currently 19) i do take part in the spire and tourneys is there any real benefit in this expenditure or should i decline it? I also have a mercenary camp and several of the troop based AWs

anonglitch

Co-Community Manager
Elvenar Team
Hey @EnchantedGilda

Upgrading the Training Grounds will help you train Units like Cerberus or Banshees a lot faster. If you participate in the Tournaments, and the Spire, the faster you train your Units, the better!

Especially when they change their shape/size/orientation, their training speed jumps forward significantly; you will love it!

Herodite

Forum mod extraordinaire
Elvenar Team
Hi @EnchantedGilda I think this is totally down to individual gameplay. The only benefit you will see from this point on is Training Speed, as you've already unlocked all available slots. Personally I can't help but upgrade as I like the ever changing building :D

Again this is totally down to you. If you feel you're progressing well without the need to upgrade. Then that's fine!

Pauly7

Magus
That's easy to do because Training Grounds troops are mostly garbage.

As you have it, you might as well upgrade it to max, so long as you can spare the population. It doesn't hurt to have a load of dogs trained to use as cannon fodder.

SkyRider99

Mentor
Elite Archers are good sacrificial goats too. That's Barracks, but same principle I think. Off topic a bit. Sorry. :rolleyes:

The Cerberus Dogs was a good call. I quite like the Training Grounds troops once they reach a good level. Orc troops are good in some encounters, but cost a lot of orcs to train of course. And the Poison Dryads can be useful against heavy melee if it's not possible to use mages. But that's just me.

Pauly7

Magus
I mean, the bigger draw for the Training Grounds is Orc Strats, which are great, but not many people want to train them in large numbers because of the cost.

schadenfreude

Enchanter
Elite Archers are good sacrificial goats too.
Disagree! They can KO mages with one shot and survive longer than Rangers. After that, they're sacrificial goats, but they got their job done in one shot! Most units can't do that in higher provinces ;)

DeletedUser501

Enchanter
That's easy to do because Training Grounds troops are mostly garbage.

As you have it, you might as well upgrade it to max, so long as you can spare the population. It doesn't hurt to have a load of dogs trained to use as cannon fodder.
The dogs are the worst units you can train in the Training Grounds and even then, they are the best LM units you can train, in synthesis, LM units are trash.

Pauly7

Magus
The dogs are the worst units you can train in the Training Grounds
Debatable. If you want some LM units for early provinces then the dogs are the ones to train. Whilst there are better LR units to train in other buildings I can make the argument that the TG could be set making dogs rather than Dryads. As for the others - Orc Strats are usually impractical to train, as aforementioned, and Orc Warriors are pretty much useless.

DeletedUser501

Enchanter
Debatable. If you want some LM units for early provinces then the dogs are the ones to train. Whilst there are better LR units to train in other buildings I can make the argument that the TG could be set making dogs rather than Dryads. As for the others - Orc Strats are usually impractical to train, as aforementioned, and Orc Warriors are pretty much useless.
In my case I´m always producing Dryads and Banshees, since these units have turned to be priceless in many encounters by their specificity against certain types of enemy units. In fact my training grounds have turned to be my second best source of good units just after the MC.
Dogs just die too fast, the good thing with them is their range, but beyond that, they are useless. I would like a light melee like a sword dancer type that could have a better range, this would be a better LM unit to put in the battlefield.

CrazyWizard

Shaman
In my case I´m always producing Dryads and Banshees, since these units have turned to be priceless in many encounters by their specificity against certain types of enemy units. In fact my training grounds have turned to be my second best source of good units just after the MC.
Dogs just die too fast, the good thing with them is their range, but beyond that, they are useless. I would like a light melee like a sword dancer type that could have a better range, this would be a better LM unit to put in the battlefield.
Banshees are usable in manual fighting (if you cannot kill a unit and that unit will hit you you can use there bigger debuff to lower casualties), they suffer the same problem as sorceres and suck.
Dryads have and AI advantage in the first round, outside of that they are the worst archer in the game.

Dogs ain't great either, but sometimes enough LM is the best choice. for example any LM/archer enemycombo with a mage incorporated.
Mages are really nasty vs Heavy Range. and steinling hits LR too hard.

I Make dogs because they are the best LM, and both in the barracks and mercenary camp I can make better units. and I already have plenty spare dryads

DeletedUser501

Enchanter
Banshees are usable in manual fighting (if you cannot kill a unit and that unit will hit you you can use there bigger debuff to lower casualties), they suffer the same problem as sorceres and suck.

Banshees are one of the best mages to put against certain type of enemy combos, combos that other way will diminish the blossom mage stock.
Yes, by their effect these units can "debuff" some enemies, but that not the big thing about them.
Yes, sorceress are trash in some cases, in other are really useful, but sorceress and banshees are not the same. Maybe you do not know how to use them properly?

Dryads have and AI advantage in the first round, outside of that they are the worst archer in the game.

Sorry C.Wizard, but with this you have showed me you know very little about own and enemy units.
Dryads by their effect, and performance are better than elite archers (they die like flies against HR and any type of mage), they are very useful against several enemy combos (I don´t know if you maybe know what kind of enemy combos Im talking about here?), and very good against enemy archers, even tho Rangers are better against mages and archers, a combination of Ranger+ Dryads are even better in many cases.

Dogs ain't great either, but sometimes enough LM is the best choice. for example any LM/archer enemycombo with a mage incorporated.
Mages are really nasty vs Heavy Range. and steinling hits LR too hard.

I Make dogs because they are the best LM, and both in the barracks and mercenary camp I can make better units. and I already have plenty spare dryads

Ok, is your opinion, in my point of viewing dogs and any type of LM unit are a peace of trash (Inno should buff them in fact), they are very inefficient since you can spend hours producing them to see their squads being reduced to nothing in some tourney encounters, I rather 100% times use that time to train better and more efficient units then dogs in my training grounds.
BTW the only unit that is worth training in the barracks if you´re elf is the gollem, beyond that all the other unit don´t pay you back the effort and time to train.

CrazyWizard

Shaman
Banshees are one of the best mages to put against certain type of enemy combos, combos that other way will diminish the blossom mage stock.
Yes, by their effect these units can "debuff" some enemies, but that not the big thing about them.
Yes, sorceress are trash in some cases, in other are really useful, but sorceress and banshees are not the same. Maybe you do not know how to use them properly?
The main weakness of Banshees are the same weakness sorceres has.
Due to there limited range there is not a single way they can avoid not being hit unless they kill the enemy in 1 hit.
Yes they do have better HP so if they need to take a hit they can take it better. but that doesnt make them great.

In general if I would use a banshee, I can also use one of many free sorceres I have. yes banshees are a bit better but they aren't "free"

Sorry C.Wizard, but with this you have showed me you know very little about own and enemy units.
Dryads by their effect, and performance are better than elite archers (they die like flies against HR and any type of mage), they are very useful against several enemy combos (I don´t know if you maybe know what kind of enemy combos Im talking about here?), and very good against enemy archers, even tho Rangers are better against mages and archers, a combination of Ranger+ Dryads are even better in many cases.
Dryads have there use, aspecially when you need to lower the enemies punch back. similar to the banshee. or I use them as a diversion for annoying mistwalkers.
I do use them but when I make to many of them I am using them only to use them. not because I need them.
Yes they work better vs steinlings which can really hurt your rangers and archer quite a bit, but agains any other unit I prefer the other 2.

It hits a bit harder than the elite archer but also has a lower HP per weight. also it's main enemy (heavy melee) to whom it's completely engineerd is so incredible weak that you can use anything agains it. Archer, rangers, Blossom, Priest it's all better than Dryads.
Also Elite Archers are "free" and for dryads I need to spend building time.

Ok, is your opinion, in my point of viewing dogs and any type of LM unit are a peace of trash (Inno should buff them in fact), they are very inefficient since you can spend hours producing them to see their squads being reduced to nothing in some tourney encounters, I rather 100% times use that time to train better and more efficient units then dogs in my training grounds.
BTW the only unit that is worth training in the barracks if you´re elf is the gollem, beyond that all the other unit don´t pay you back the effort and time to train.
They are indeed trash, but they arent as useless as HM, I have a harder time finding use for those units then for LM.
I use HM sporadically and LM in some tournaments more then expected.

The main issue is that range is just OP in the current format.

DeletedUser501

Enchanter
The main weakness of Banshees are the same weakness sorceres has.
Due to there limited range there is not a single way they can avoid not being hit unless they kill the enemy in 1 hit.
Yes they do have better HP so if they need to take a hit they can take it better. but that doesnt make them great.

In general if I would use a banshee, I can also use one of many free sorceres I have. yes banshees are a bit better but they aren't "free"

Yes, Banshees and Sorceress have the same range movement and attack, and that´s the most distinguished particularity that makes them identical, beyond that, I repeat they have their own way to play them.
I thought you did know in what manner and against what enemy combos I was referring with the respect of Banshees, but seems it does not.
Banshees are specially good in Crystal and Dust tourney, or in encounters that includes lot of Heavy Range/Mage units, mainly if you focus them to hit the enemy mages and then the damage they get from HR units is almost null, (nothing at all with sorceress, that are damaged to the half of their HP if a single hit from a steinling reach them). They are also good by their initiative, they can be hide from the reach of enemy abbots and enemy fairies, making specially good in some scenarios where map does not favor you. Banshees also are real good to support units like own HR since their debuff ability help you kill units that with other way will endure HR hits ( but this last feature is more a secondary advantage of this cool unit).
No, banshees can´t endure very well hits from everyone in the battlefield, they endure very well the HR ones, beyond that they get damaged as all the other mage units with some differences in the level of how much.
By far Banshees are the second best mage unit if you´re an elf, and the third if you´re human.

Dryads have there use, aspecially when you need to lower the enemies punch back. similar to the banshee. or I use them as a diversion for annoying mistwalkers.
I do use them but when I make to many of them I am using them only to use them. not because I need them.
Yes they work better vs steinlings which can really hurt your rangers and archer quite a bit, but agains any other unit I prefer the other 2.

It hits a bit harder than the elite archer but also has a lower HP per weight. also it's main enemy (heavy melee) to whom it's completely engineerd is so incredible weak that you can use anything agains it. Archer, rangers, Blossom, Priest it's all better than Dryads.
Also Elite Archers are "free" and for dryads I need to spend building time.

Exactly because elite archers are free is the reason they are better to trow them away in the battlefield like they were not that important.
Elite archers were made specially to be a not that specialize unit, with an effect that is cool, and a performance relatively good in the battlefield, but you can´t compare them with Dryads please.
Dryads can endure much more hits against almost every other enemy unit in the battle field. They can deal vs dogs (yes you can put 5 dryads in the battlefield where there are 1-2 dogs and they will succeed, while rangers and elite would be annihilated), they endure hits from HR units better than Ranger or Elite Archers, and also hits from mages better than elite archers ( if you let an abbot or fairy hit your elite archer the damage is huge, in comparison the dryad tolerate it better, not as good as a ranger but better than an elite archer).
And you´re forgetting one of the best attributes of dryads, the support factor. They make combos with Ranger, HR and mage very strong.
I don´t want to deepen in it, but in many enemy combos the use of Dryads is a need.

Yes, enemy HM is cheesy thing, but the second best option against them is the dryad, blossom mages are not always in plethora existance, and in some cases, especially if the enemy combo have LR, you´ve got to use, for a cleaner game, Dryads.

I want to know, why you haven´t noticed all this?

Last edited:

CrazyWizard

Shaman
It all boils down to how well you can boost your units attack power.

putting archers in opposition of dogs is somthing I commonly do, I have no problem with that.
Dogs do barely have a defence vs Archers. this means there just plain enemies and die just as fast. Dogs are more focussed on anti mage power.
If you are unable to kill the highest threads in round one thats when a attack debuff comes into hand.

Dryads can only handle more hits vs the enemy IF they debuff them. thats there only redeeming power.
Any other special benefit they have is kinda useless vs Elite Archers and even Crossbowmen.

Defence and attack vs heavy melee is the most useless ability any unit could have. only the knight can get into striking range of an Archer. all other HM units are helpless vs range as they will never get within striking range of any of your units.

Rangers do have a flimsy HP and yes dryds just like Archers and Crossbowmen are better tanking units.
The main question becomes how often do you need to tank other units?
and even if you use tanking units I often use only 1 units. so 1 dryad/archer with 4 rangers or blossom mages. most often to soak the damage from a mistwalker. or to limit the damage from a steinling.

And most importantly I pretty much never battle manual anymore I just can't be bothered.

My main point would be, I already havs 10.000 units of Blossom mages and Rangers,
Whats the point in even making more Archers?

The losses where I use LM or just overpower them with overpowered achers (which sometimes are dryads) are often very similar.
At least with the unit buffers that I use.