• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Training Grounds vs Mercenary Camp troops

Silly Bubbles

Necromancer
I found myself having excess Orcs so I would like to review which troops I’m making out of these two buildings. I’d like to cover all types of enemies with a combination of troops from each so I’d like to pick the best ones from each. Which troops do you prefer out of these choices?

Best for light melee enemies: Orc Warrior or Frog?
Best for light ranged enemies: Orc Strategist or Drone Rider?
Best for mage enemies: Cerberus or Ranger?
Best for heavy melee enemies: Dryed or Blossom Princess?
Best for heavy ranged enemies: Banshee or Vallorian Veteran?

Herodite

Forum mod extraordinaire
Elvenar Team
From my own personal experience... I always tend to rely on any of the Mage Units for Heavy Melee and Heavy Ranged... for such big fellas they're very scared of the Magic People :D

Mage Enemies, I always have better success using Archers or Rangers :)

SkyRider99

Mentor
I found myself having excess Orcs so I would like to review which troops I’m making out of these two buildings. I’d like to cover all types of enemies with a combination of troops from each so I’d like to pick the best ones from each. Which troops do you prefer out of these choices?

Best for light melee enemies: Orc Warrior or Frog?
Best for light ranged enemies: Orc Strategist or Drone Rider?
Best for mage enemies: Cerberus or Ranger?
Best for heavy melee enemies: Dryed or Blossom Princess?
Best for heavy ranged enemies: Banshee or Vallorian Veteran?
Well that post is going to get a few different opinions I would imagine. :)

I will sit on the fence and say there is no single troop type that will be successful against the enemies you listed. In my defence, it kinda' depends on the combination of enemies you are facing in any given encounter. For example, in terms of attack force vs. damage incurred.

Ignoring the damage effect, my experience for best attack force is:

Best for light melee enemies: Orc Warrior (but the Frog makes a good sacrificial squad too, whilst doing acceptable damage)
Best for light ranged enemies: Orc Strategist (I sometimes use Sword Dancer too because of movement distance and sheer numbers)
Best for mage enemies: Ranger (fast and effective, but is weak and will get hammered)
Best for heavy melee enemies: Blossom Princess (totally weak. If used together with one or two other Blossom squads, can do some good damage)
Best for heavy ranged enemies: Banshee (but Vallorian Veteran is better if the enemy troops have Light Melee also)

May the Force be with you! :cool:

schadenfreude

Enchanter
I agree with @SkyRider99 that the choice is dictated by what other combos they are paired with, which is generally why the Dust Tourney is of utmost annoyance as it has an obnoxious combo of enemies. The other thing to factor in is which province you're fighting in for tourney and where you are in the Spire. For example, Froggies are pretty fantastic for early provinces. However, if you don't have any buffing via Toads wonder, fed Fire Phoenix, or high promotions, they are not very effective in the higher provinces. The reason is you can't kill them fast enough before the enemy reaches you and froggies have weak defense, so won't survive many blows. If it takes 5 shots to take down 1 light melee, then you're screwed because you haven't event dealt with any of his friends yet.

I have an elf city. This is what I would use in general blanket canvas terms...
Best for light melee enemies: Golems
Best for light ranged enemies: Orc Strategist
Best for mage enemies: Archers/Rangers
Best for heavy melee enemies: Blossom Mage
Best for heavy ranged enemies: Mages

DeletedUser501

Enchanter
Best for light melee enemies: Orc Warrior or Frog? - Orc Warrior
Best for light ranged enemies: Orc Strategist or Drone Rider? - Orc Strats when there´s not mage around, contrary case Drone Rider.
Best for mage enemies: Cerberus or Ranger? - Ranger
Best for heavy melee enemies: Dryad or Blossom Princess? - Dryads if enemy combo contains LR units /Bloosom Mages if enemy combo contains HR units
Best for heavy ranged enemies: Banshee or Vallorian Veteran? - Banshees

Pauly7

Magus
Out of all those options, the Orc Strat is the only Training Grounds troop I would prefer.

Of course there are always situations that change things. With the wrong terrain frogs can get decimated, for example, but as a rule all those other four Merc Camp troops should be better.

Silly Bubbles

Necromancer
Thank you all for your contribution :)

It's very interesting to see that I currently prefer different troops than anyone else. At this moment, I only train dogs in the training ground and use them for the easiest fights and after that for mages. I don't train rangers in mercenary camp as there's no point in training more mage troops and I rather train others. I've realised that everyone has different AWs and makes some of their troops stronger than mine, I only have level 30 MM. But I do use expiring buildings that boost my light ranged and mages often.

I just like to clarify that I use these troops only in easy fights as they're only good for one type of enemy instead of two types as barracks troops are. So far what I made out of it is this and see how it goes.

Best for light melee enemies: Orc Warrior (more people recommend it)
Best for light ranged enemies: Orc Strategist (more recommended)
Best for mage enemies: Ranger (I can boost them)
Best for heavy melee enemies: Blossom Princess (more recommended)
Best for heavy ranged enemies: Banshee (can be boosted)

Pauly7

Magus
At this moment, I only train dogs in the training ground and use them for the easiest fights and after that for mages.
Nothing wrong with that. Dogs are probably the best option from Training Grounds, as a rule, considering Orc Strats are too expensive to produce, usually. I sometimes train Dryads if I want extra cannon fodder LR one week, but they aren't good units.
I don't train rangers in mercenary camp as there's no point in training more mage troops and I rather train others.
Rangers are LR!.. but assuming that is what you meant, level 3 Rangers, along with level 3 Blossom Mages and level 3 Frogs, are the best units on the game. There isn't a superior LR option.

Silly Bubbles

Necromancer
Yay! It worked! :);):cool::p:D:rolleyes:o_O:D

I'm able to do the same tournament score in 4 rounds that I did before in 5 rounds and saved some supplies too, my orcs are remaining at the same level too so that's great. I still haven't used any ELR or MMM that I used before, roughly 2 to 5 each so there's still a potential for even bigger improvement.

Thank you everyone for great help. :)

Almondum

Spellcaster
Hey Silly,

My highest city is Welves (humans), so many troops are not even considered:

L. melee: Paladin or Vallorian and sometimes even Orc Strategist. I don't like the Orc Warrior because he takes to long to reach the L. melee and sometimes I lose 1 turn of damage. Additionally, L. melee can easily "run away" from my Orc Warriors, specially the Ancient Ors. So I prefer to use units with longer range.

L. ranged: Orc strategist and sometimes L. melee if the terrain is good and it's a mix of mages+LR

Mages: I use the barracks archers and dogs (the latter only if there aren't Heavy units around, very rare actually). I do sometimes use the dogs as suicide squad just to kill/severaly weaken a single mage squad.

H. melee: Priests or barracks archers (if there are LR enemies, I use archers), there are exceptions though. If I am patient and check the terrain, sometimes the enemy archers are too far from certain starting positions. So I put 1-2 mages there. They hit and debuff the archer (thankfully I am Human and the range is 5 instead of 3, poor elves) and my archers finish him/her off.

H. ranged: Mages or Paladins (when the enemy has LR, they tend to ignore my paladins and go after my LR or Mages, so I use paladins to counter H. ranged). I don't have frogs...I would use them too if I could.

Right now, my city doesn't have the Merc Camp as I find it a waste in my current situation and from my T. grounds I recruit dogs and orc strategists (my orc nests help me stay in the orc surplus).

Also, thanks for summing it all up, I will consider following your strategy at later chapters.

Oh, I have a questions. I have a Witch hut, stage 1 and 1 artifact, so stage 2 I guess. Is it worth placing a stage 2 witch hut just to slowly build up a "frog" stock?

Thanks and fun,
Almond

Sir Derf

Adept
According to a T-Shirt I see on a YouTube commentator occasionally, while knowing is half the battle, the other half is 50% red lasers and 50% blue lasers