• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Tournament still feels oddly more difficult than it should

DeletedUser8632

First of all, this is not a complaint. More are reality check. Second, I know the strengths and weaknesses of troops, how to pair them with the opposition. I only do auto-fight and I don't mix troop types. I'm in Woodelves.

That said, I feel/think/imagine that the tournament difficulty is still... off. I always keep track about how many stacks I lose and up to which round I can push a specific tournament before it becomes too costly. And this current Gem tournament is completely different from the last one I played: I lose about twice as many troops as I did before and I wipe out 2 rounds earlier than I did previously.

Am I the only one? Am I imagining things?

Matohuska

Seeker
as far as I'm concerned they still havent fixed the troop booster bug. I'm still losing heavily when using my fire bird.

DeletedUser8632

I am also consistently getting feedback from my FS that there is something seriously off. Experienced players like @m4rt1n score substantially lower and have substantially higher losses with the same strategies as always.

Deleted User - 1759805

My losses are bang on comparing to the last gems tournament.

m4rt1n

Adept
Mine are off, the difference involves the use of the Dwarven Armorer.
Exactly the same play as 9 weeks ago on Gems, The only difference to my 4 MMM and 1 UUU is a Dwarven Armorer added in the mix. I would have expected the same or better results, but the losses are significantly more than last time. No upgrades to army buildings or squad upgrades unlocked.

I have however added a few levels to several fighting wonders.

Something still is not quite right in my opinion with the fighting in the tournaments and unexpected enemy power.

Pauly7

Magus
My tournaments seem pretty much back to normal - I don't have any exact data. I don't have any Dwarven Armourers.

DeletedUser8632

My losses are bang on comparing to the last gems tournament.
My tournaments seem pretty much back to normal - I don't have any exact data. I don't have any Dwarven Armourers.

But, see.. that is also odd. Inno claimed that the combat buff bug was always there and that they fixed everything now. Shouldn't you have LESS losses now?

DeletedUser1962

? in the tournament is there a block on the number of provinces you can open, I do manual fighting as I stated 2017 so opened 12 squad upgrades, before I was told I should have missed them for tournaments, any-way have done 95 provinces now only able to open 60,

DeletedUser1962

I always do manual fighting, have seen a lot of fights over in round 1 plus a lot with zero loses so over all loses are down, in gems so far 60 provinces to 2 stars with 25 on 4 stars

Heymrdiedier

Enchanter
i actually have the opposite feeling.
Tournament seemed a lot easier the past 2 weeks now. I even enjoyed the magic dust tournament, while i usually hate it as much scrolls.
But then again i researched the ranger 3 and had a blast with those

LazyTony

Sorcerer
Its really really hard to accurately calculate tournament difficulty. Firstly you can only compare like with like, so that means you have to remember the same tourney 9 weeks ago. And I don't think there is a single 2 months and a bit period where something significant hasn't changed in my city that would affect tourney performance. For those advancing through the chapters and not at the endgame, I remember difficulties of various tourney types changing every time I did them as techs, troop star levels, new wonders etc changed rapidly.

Its interesting that Martin thinks the armourer might be to blame, but the only way to check this is the painful way. Write down yours and the enemies' damage and health levels, fight manually and find hit(s) that should be impossible according to those numbers. I'm afraid impressions don't cut it guys.

DeletedUser1874

Am I the only one? Am I imagining things?

No. I'm getting significantly more losses than on average on both my endgame city with firechicken and unit boosters popped, as well as on my WW farms (in Dwarves and Fairies respectively), none of which with temporary boosters or firechicken active. Haven't upgraded war-related AWs either.
Might be an impression, but I really can't be arsed to test it manually. And perhaps impressions don't "cut it" but they most certainly matter.

LazyTony

Sorcerer
And perhaps impressions don't "cut it" but they most certainly matter.

Yep, confirmation bias, groupthink etc don't exist, that's why we have words for them. If we only had a tool to objectively measure things instead of relying on feelings and hunches like cave men.

See, 2 can play at the snarky post game :p

DeletedUser1874

Yep, confirmation bias, groupthink etc don't exist, that's why we have words for them. If we only had a tool to objectively measure things instead of relying on feelings and hunches like cave men.

See, 2 can play at the snarky post game :p
If you think I'm "playing" you're sorely mistaken, and that'd make your passive-aggressive parroting the snarkiest thing here. Anyhow, I'm not going to apologize for my inability to be bothered to manually check as you suggested, not when Inno could just get a competent coder and tell and/or disclose stuff. Or implement combat logs we could easily compare under different conditions (such as the presence/absence or various buffs).

LazyTony

Sorcerer
Some definitions:

passive aggressive: of or denoting a type of behaviour or personality characterized by indirect resistance to the demands of others and an avoidance of direct confrontation.

parroting: a person who, without thought or understanding, merely repeats the words or imitates the actions of another.

When being a smartass its helpful to understand the meaning of the words you choose, otherwise you just look silly using fashionable words or phrases that don't apply to me or my posts.

On the substantive matter, I too CBA to prove one way or another if there is still a bug. But that doesn't mean trusting people's hunches about a tourney 9 weeks ago during which time a number of other factors affecting tourney performance would have changed is a sensible position.

NB. I'm certainly not saying there isn't a bug, and a hunch or impression is certainly a reasonable trigger to start proper investigation.

Last edited:

DeletedUser1874

Gotta love when they resort to dictionary definitions, the one that fits their argument the most at that, and with people whose first language isn't English as the proverbial cherry on top. And then I'm the smartass, right. Last but not least, I have every right to express a hunch and state that impressions matter; on the other hand, you don't have the right to put words in my mouth to try and spin it as I tried to make my impressions pass as facts. I even stated myself they were impressions, at the cost of being redundant, but I guess that doesn't help when the other party is more interested in manufacturing an argument needlessly.

m4rt1n

Adept
As for the tournament, a strangely peculiar occurrence happened for me personally and the losses reduced after round 2, when I would expect them to increase and round 3 and 4 onwards worked as expected.

Last edited by a moderator:

Muf-Muf

Elvenar Team
We've had to remove several offtopic posts in which some mud-slinging occurred. Please keep to discussing the topic at hand, and please don't involve yourself in personal arguments. Thanks! :)