• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Tournament squad size info.

SkyRider99

Mentor
Would it be possible to show the tournament squad size and the enemy squad size on the opening window for a province?

I know you can click on 'fight' to see what the fight sizes will be, but it would be faster and easier to decide whether to fight or cater if we could see the relative squad sizes up front.

Gargon667

Mentor
Just to add on to that idea, because squad sizes bother me much less than other factors.

I was thinking one could combine the two screens into one. Give us the full info on both catering and fighting side-by-side as well as the troops selection part and then simply the two buttons for catering or starting the fight.

For me it goes like this:
1. click on province
2. click on "fight", without looking at the screen (as the information is insufficient for a decision anyway)
3. Check info on the fight, what kind of troops are on which position.
4. Decide to fight or not.
If the fight is easy: Fight
If it is difficult: leave and enter the province again to check the catering costs.
6. Decide to cater or not.
If the costs are acceptable: Cater
If the costs are too high: Click on "fight" a second time.
7. Decide to fight or not
If a victory is going to be expensive but more or less secure: Fight
If a victory is unlikely: Close the App and start the browser for a manual fight.
or alternatively ignore this encounter and move on to the next province.

This is a silly amount of clicking and time wasting, so I simply decide to fight every time in step 4, which is also the reason why I never cater.
having the full info on 1 screen would mean I could go all the way to step 7 without a single extra click :D

But yes I know I am a bit "special" so I never brought it up before, but if other people would like something like this I am happy to add my vote :)

Solanix

Forum Moderator
Elvenar Team
@SkyRider99 is the number ot enemy troops not enough? I can see their numbers when I open the tent. I do not even need to click on 'Fight'. Would it not be too easy to show both Squad Sizes in the top layer of the tent?

FieryArien

Necromancer
@SkyRider99 is the number ot enemy troops not enough? I can see their numbers when I open the tent. I do not even need to click on 'Fight'. Would it not be too easy to show both Squad Sizes in the top layer of the tent?
If I may. The number of enemy troops would be enough, IF the number of my troops would be the same in every tournament province. That I would be able to remember. ;-) However, the number of my troops differs in each tournament province and it affects my chances to win. (Yes, the change follows certain pattern and it’s the same in every tournament, but still, seeing my as well as enemy squad size on the first screen would be so much better.)

Deleted User - 1634960

Your chances of winning are not changed by the number of enemy troops, as the difference is a set percentage varied by the Round and Province. The cost of winning will be higher depending on the number of your troops involved. ;)

SkyRider99

Mentor
Your chances of winning are not changed by the number of enemy troops, as the difference is a set percentage varied by the Round and Province. The cost of winning will be higher depending on the number of your troops involved. ;)

But when the 'cost' of winning becomes unattainable because my troops are annihilated, my 'chance' of winning then becomes zero :)

Deleted User - 1634960

I can't be bothered with @Sir Derf 's semi-pointless math, but if a win will cost you 50% of your troops, that will be true regardless of the number of troops involved. With 100 Troops, you will lose 50, with 10,000 troops you will lose 5,000. The 5,000 are harder to replace than the 50, but it is still a win. If you are destined to lose, you will lose no matter how few Troops you are facing. ;)

MinervaOz

Enchanter
I can't see how knowing the enemy squad size alone can influence any decision. As an absolute number it's totally irrelevant. What matters is the ratio between your squad size and the enemy's, and that's a product of province number and round - it's fixed for every province in every round, in every tournament (as @Rilian says). I can see that having both player and enemy squad sizes on the opening window could save clicking for someone who either isn't aware of, or has forgotten, how the ratio changes.

Sir Derf

Adept
Wait, what? What am I doing in a combat discussion? This isn't my jam. The formulae, where known, are way to straightforward. Probability computations are much more exciting, as should be obvious, given all the exclamation points in the computations.

Respectfully, @Rilian , slightly misworded. Your example cites a 50% troop cost, and as you say, that's a win; but then you end with 'destined to lose'. Mixed signals.

I don't have the details for semi-pointless math, but I can contribute what I think is a semi-useful point. Surely if you are advanced enough that today you can fight with 10,000 troops instead of the 100 of yesteryear, then you also have a higher capacity to train troops, yes? Replacing 5,000 might not be harder today than replacing 50 was back then..

FieryArien

Necromancer
I respectfully disagree. Just imagine the very same enemy setup in round 5 and round 35. Even if you use the same troops in both encounters and even if the terrain is the same in both encounters, you can very well win in the 5th province and lose in the 35th province. The number of enemy troops and the number of my troops is the only difference there. It does influence my chances of winning.

MinervaOz

Enchanter
I respectfully disagree. Just imagine the very same enemy setup in round 5 and round 35. Even if you use the same troops in both encounters and even if the terrain is the same in both encounters, you can very well win in the 5th province and lose in the 35th province. The number of enemy troops and the number of my troops is the only difference there. It does influence my chances of winning.

Yes, but what you need to know is the relationship between your troop numbers and the enemy's. In province 5 you'll outnumber the enemy (in round 1 anyway) and in province 35 the enemy will have more than twice as many troops as you. The actual numbers won't make a difference in whether or not you can win. Having only the enemy squad size on the opening window, which was the original suggestion, won't be of any use, you need to see both squad sizes (which indeed you said in your first post).

Deleted User - 1634960

Respectfully, @Rilian , slightly misworded. Your example cites a 50% troop cost, and as you say, that's a win; but then you end with 'destined to lose'. Mixed signals.

There is a BIG IF at the beginning of the 'destined to lose' sentence. ;)

FieryArien

Necromancer
Yes, but what you need to know is the relationship between your troop numbers and the enemy's.
Exactly. And as I said it would be easier for me to see the numbers right away (side by side with negotiation price) instead of opening yet another screen for fight details. (Or for example instead of having a printed spreadsheet with enemy/me ratios next to my phone while playing tournament.)
Having only the enemy squad size on the opening window, which was the original suggestion, won't be of any use, you need to see both squad sizes (which indeed you said in your first post).
That’s not how I read the original suggestion. I understood the request was to have both numbers available. And that’s the suggestion I’m trying to support.

Sir Derf

Adept
There is a BIG IF at the beginning of the 'destined to lose' sentence. ;)
Yes, there is. It was the, well, not tone shift, but the content shift that I was pointing out. The way I read it, you were discussing a costly victory, but concluded with a comment about predestined failure. Your summation didn't quite match your presentation.