• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Tournament Changes

Spellcaster
We are seeing more fights against 4 and even 5 different enemy types again in the current elixir tournament. This was an issue that seriously annoyed a lot of players after the big tournament changes happened and it was rightfully scrapped. Why on earth was it brought back?

5 different enemy types in current tournament.

1611090549646.png

Pauly7

Magus
It wasn't something that was scrapped or brought back. We are just into the more difficult tournaments. In the T1 tournaments (marble, steel, planks) there is a single predominant enemy type. All enemies are still possible, but it's very much more likely that you will see a favourable line up. In the T2 tournaments there are two main enemy types and in the T3 tournaments there are three. So, in that sense, elixir, magic dust and gems tournaments are much more likely to throw up these types of enemy combinations, even though they are possible in all tournaments as there is always a greater degree of variation than there was in the old tournament style.

Gargon667

Mentor
We are seeing more fights against 4 and even 5 different enemy types again in the current elixir tournament. This was an issue that seriously annoyed a lot of players after the big tournament changes happened and it was rightfully scrapped. Why on earth was it brought back?

5 different enemy types in current tournament.

There is no change whatsoever, it is simply (not simple) statistics, as @Pauly7 said. If there is one main unit (in the T1 tourneys) it is very likely that you will get more than 1 of that type, making it very unlikely to get 5 different types. With 3 main units (in T3 tourneys) it is rather likely to get 3 different units types in a fight, from there the step to make it a full 5 types is much smaller and therefore much more common. I guess that is the closest to a common language explanation I can come up with. A real mathematical explanation would include lots of numbers and formulas? Unless someone else has a good one?

Also as a positive effect it makes T1 the easiest and T3 the most difficult tourneys, which I find makes sense, at least more so than having a "random" difficulty we had before in the old tourneys. But in the end all that matters is that some tourneys are more difficult than others. Would be far more boring to have them all be the same (all with a T2 setup). this way there is more variety and you can pick and choose tourneys by difficulty if you like to or if you FS has a fixed goal is at least forced to put in varying amount of effort to reach the same goal.

But if you step up your knowledge on tourney play a notch you will see that those 5-type-fights are not necessarily more difficult than any other fights. Look closer at the units involved. More often than not either 5 LR or 5 M units will be your best bet at winning.
Lets starts looking at the enemy LM unit: is a dog, you are likely to get into trouble if you use 5 mages, but you will be absolutely OK to use 5 LR. If the LM is an Ancient Orc the reverse is true: Mages will work fine, while Archers are a bad idea. If the LM is a thief, you have nothing to worry about with either LR or Mages.
Now let´s look at other potential troublemakers:
enemy LR: Mist Walker: Very bad for Mages, the other two (Bandits and Archers) are bad for mages, but not deal breakers.
enemy HR: Steinling: Very bad for LR, the other two (Orcs and Cannons) are bad, but not deal breakers
enemy Mages and HM troops are of rather little importance, you can kill them all with either LR or Mages

To simplify: Look out for Ancient Orcs, Dogs, Steinlings and Mist Walkers.

Ancient Orcs and Steinligs means don´t use LR.
Dogs and Mist Walkers mean don´t use Mages.

As you can see only 2 combos put you in real trouble
1. Ancient Orc AND Mist Walker
2. Dog AND Steinling

If you do not have either of those 2 combos you will be fine.

If you do get the combos you may have to look into alternatives, if you are lucky you can use HR troops (Abbots and swampies may be dissuading you from that idea, while enchantresses and Orc Generals make it more of a good idea)
HM can be an option when facing the Mist Walker and Echantresses, but it´s risky, the tiniest hickup with geography is going to kill you, only takes a pebble in the wrong spot, to make your giants tumble.
LM is never an option lol, if you can win the fight with LM troops you would have lost fewer troops if you had used something else.

If that doesn´t work out. Manual fight if you have that option (with a unit combo that makes sense) or cater, it happens extremely rarely. Don´t think I´ve had the case yet this elixir week (and so far I´ve done 270 encounters, which is 45 provinces 6 times). Well if it happens early on (first 20 or so provinces) in the tourneys I don´t look much at the enemies, I win the fights anyway, so I can´t guarantee there wasn´t a case like that.

Stucon

Illusionist
I seem to be fighting far more often with heavy ranged units. Is it just my perception or are others the same?

Far Reach

Conjurer
Overgeneralization - while Dust might be the toughest tournament in the current setup, Gems is one of the easiest (probably second easiest after Marble).

For me, personal strategy (such as which AWs, evolving and booster buildings you can use, and the extent to which you are prepared to fight manually) can make a significant difference to which tourneys are hardest. Elvenstats shows that the score needed to be ranked #100 doesn't change that much between tournament types. The very top scores can vary a lot though.

Deleted User - 1759805

For me, personal strategy (such as which AWs, evolving and booster buildings you can use, and the extent to which you are prepared to fight manually) can make a significant difference to which tourneys are hardest. Elvenstats shows that the score needed to be ranked #100 doesn't change that much between tournament types. The very top scores can vary a lot though.
I am talking about same city, same tournament progress, same boosters. Otherwise, of course you can dump 10x DAs on Dust and nothing on Marble, and Marble will be harder.

Far Reach

Conjurer
I am talking about same city, same tournament progress, same boosters. Otherwise, of course you can dump 10x DAs on Dust and nothing on Marble, and Marble will be harder.

Yes so was I. A city with Temple of the Toads at a high level will find HR orientated tourneys easier (relative to other tourneys) than an otherwise identical one without. A city with the habit of using lots of boosters and auto-fighting will find mage and LR orientated tourneys (such as Steel) very easy relative to some others.

I don't know which city you are playing, or I'd have looked it up on Elvenstats to try to give an tailored answer based on that (although you could obviously do it yourself).

Pauly7

Magus
A city with Temple of the Toads at a high level will find HR orientated tourneys easier
It's a good point. That's the reason why Temple of the Toads is such an important AW because we can't otherwise boost HR's attack power like we can with Mages or LR.

Spellcaster
@Pauly7 and @Gargon667 I can't believe this is the norm. I've done a minimum of 18 provinces on 3 worlds every week since the change and haven't encountered a single 5 enemy type fight until this last tournament. The lack of others talking about it leads me to believe you are right but the odds are insane.

@Gargon667 You talk about 5 enemy types being not too big of a problem but its a brick wall for people unless they cater or have a bunch of boosters. There is simply no way to fight an army more than double your size without getting incredibly lucky with the terrain or having a huge advantage. Of course you know this since you propose using light ranged or mages which are the only troops you can boost beyond a fire phoenix. You also talk like everyone has access to all units. Sacred Priests are my saviour but for non-humans mages will be terrible until you unlock higher tier Banshees and/or Blossom Mages.. It'd be very interesting to look into fights in the upcoming tournament and compare how we do, if you'd be up for it let me know.

Deleted User - 1759805

You also talk like everyone has access to all units.
If you don't have access to all the units, and you don't have tons of boosts (AWs and temporary), you simply won't be fighting 20+ provinces on a consistent basis, 5 enemy types or not. That's just not in the cards.

Gargon667

Mentor
@Pauly7 and @Gargon667 I can't believe this is the norm. I've done a minimum of 18 provinces on 3 worlds every week since the change and haven't encountered a single 5 enemy type fight until this last tournament. The lack of others talking about it leads me to believe you are right but the odds are insane.

Odds are just odd, that´s why they´re called odds I guess ;) Anyway they haven´t changed since the start of the new tourneys half a year ago. Some people got them early, some people get them now, some people get them always and some people get them never... And the week or year after this either changes around or it doesn´t.

@Gargon667 You talk about 5 enemy types being not too big of a problem but its a brick wall for people unless they cater or have a bunch of boosters. There is simply no way to fight an army more than double your size without getting incredibly lucky with the terrain or having a huge advantage. Of course you know this since you propose using light ranged or mages which are the only troops you can boost beyond a fire phoenix. You also talk like everyone has access to all units. Sacred Priests are my saviour but for non-humans mages will be terrible until you unlock higher tier Banshees and/or Blossom Mages.. It'd be very interesting to look into fights in the upcoming tournament and compare how we do, if you'd be up for it let me know.

Now you talk of a completely different thing: fights against double or triple SS. 5 enemy unit types are not a problem, they do become a problem if you fight double or triple SS, but that is true for most fights.
If you want to fight such fights you need booster buildings. Nothing else will do. However that has nothing to do with the question of how to deal with 5 enemy types. These are 2 entirely different topics, and I was only talking about 1 of those.

Also I was clearly NOT assuming access to all units, as i only talk about unit types in the post. If I say LR or Mage, pick the one you have. Of course some are better than others, that is not a question, but one has to do with what one has. If you have only access to archers and enchantresses that´s what you use, if you have rangers and blossom mages you go for those of course.
Obviously if you are in chapter 1 and have only sword dancers than this post is somewhat too advanced for you, but lucky for you, you will most likely not encounter this problem either ;)

The reason for suggesting mostly LR and M is not that they can be boosted (which of course is another big advantage) but simply because they are the best for the job, because they are the best all-round units, with fewest weaknesses to most of the possible enemies boosts or non-boosts.
HR units are next on that list, while LM and HM are at the bottom, because basically anything can kill them with little trouble.