• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Too much cross-tier trading

DeletedUser7324

40 pages of trades and most of them are cross-tier trades, offering tier 3 for tier 1 or 2. I don't mind picking up a cross-tier trade from a fellow to help them out or even from a neighbor every now and then to build a good relationship, but this is getting to be a bit much. In my understanding cross-tier should be kept to a minimum not be used as an easy way to boost your own city out of the pockets of others.
Perhaps the developers could add a refined search filter for those of us who are tired of clicking through endless offers of 500 gems for 1990 scrolls or 7990 planks and who just want to do fair trades. End of rant, stepping off the soapbox ;)

Happy gaming, Mulle

m4rt1n

Adept
I agree, and since the latest sets were introduced, it appears everyone now has an abundance of T3 goods and fills the trader with ridiculous trades wanting huge amounts of T1 goods. The fact that the trader puts these at 2* and 3*, doesn't help the matter.
16:1 for T1 trades is far to much and if I need to place any use 6:1 instead.

FieryArien

Necromancer
You must be in my neighborhood, Mullebutz. :rolleyes: Definitely +1 on the topic of cross trades search filter.

I literally became allergic to cross tier trades and don’t take them on principle. I mean even those occasional ones asking for higher tier than offering. (Yes, there are cases when I take cross trades in my fellowship when a player asks for help in the chat. However, I never do that from my own initiative, because I doubt that these loads of cross trades are placed there out of desperation.)

Pauly7

Magus
A new thread on this topic starts once every few weeks and I will say the same as I always say - There is nothing wrong with cross-tier trading. The problem is with Inno's refusal to budge on their view of T3 being worth 4 times tier 2 and 16 times tier 1. That is what is absurd.

In my opinion they should get rid of the whole assumed ratio business and have the game assign 2 stars to any trade which is 1:1, even if it is 100 gems for 100 marble. Then we can forget the whole idea that "tiers" even exist and people will just trade sensibly at levels that make sense.

In my opinion tier 3 is worth a MAXIMUM of 3 times tier 1 and dependent on your playing style and city set up often much closer to 1:1.

Deleted User - 341074

trader improved.png

There was already a problem that was made a bit worse by the very powerful winter set, but not everyone chose to go for it.
The recent increase in cross tier BS has a lot to do with the Jester's Tavern. Players generally had a decent balance before, but now virtually everyone gained the production of 3 extra T3 buildings. That's a 100% increase for many players.

Deleted User - 341074

I calculated it out for one of my cities and I'm making just under 200,000 T3 per day from my sets.
If Inno still thinks 16:1 is fair, how can I make 3,200,000 T1 per day to be balanced? That requires 143 planks factories at max level.o_O

DeletedUser7324

Please please please could someone pass on this ten thousandth thread on trades filters, cross-tier to someone with the power to fix it? If I have to read another one I might find myself emptying the medicine cabinet into my stomach. It is by far the biggest complaint/request from players.
I am fairly new to the forum although I've been playing for almost a year, so I was unaware that this question has been posted many times before. Before posting I did check if there wasn't already a post dealing with this subject but perhaps I did not go back far enough. In any case, I am glad to hear I am not the only one that this is bugging and maybe it needs to be said as many times as it takes for someone to find a sensible solution to this trading mess. I am not fundamentally against cross-tier or inequal trading as it can be to the advantage of the fellowship to help smaller players advance faster. But there should be some limit to it.

DeletedUser5093

I really like the partial trade feature SoggyShorts suggests. It would result in a lot less clogging of the trader, and reduce the amount of endless clicking required to trade a large volume of goods. I can see it being especially useful for small cities who are currently unable to make use of the large trades posted by larger cities, and therefore struggle to get goods in a timely fashion.

A minor tweak: Perhaps instead of the purchase buttons being scaled according to the size of the trade it could be scaled according to what they buyer can afford, e.g. you had the choice of spending 10%, 25% or maximum possible amount of your stockpile, regardless of the size of the trade. So for example, let's say you had 100,000 marble in stock, the trader might look a bit like this:
Offer____________Demand_______Rating______Trader
120,000 planks____120,000 marble__**__________[10k] [25k] [100k]
70,000 planks_____70,000 marble___**__________[10k] [25k] [70k]
125 planks________125 marble_____**__________[125]
If you were really short of goods and only had 5,000 marble in stock, those same trades would instead look like this:
Offer____________Demand_______Rating______Trader
120,000 planks____120,000 marble__**__________[500] [1,250] [5,000]
70,000 planks_____70,000 marble___**__________[500] [1,250] [5,000]
125 planks________125 marble_____**__________[125]

Deleted User - 341074

A minor tweak: Perhaps instead of the purchase buttons being scaled according to the size of the trade it could be scaled according to what they buyer can afford, e.g. you had the choice of spending 10%, 25% or maximum possible amount of your stockpile, regardless of the size of the trade.
There is the potential for confusion with 1 and 3-star trades as players might mix up whether it is 5,000 that they are buying or paying, and even if they know it's 5,000 from their stash, an odd ratio would be hard to math out in your head.

Also, with that tweak, it would be very important to separate trade notifications from all other notifications. Imagine being nickel and dimed 500 at a time on your 120,000 trade.

Speaking of notifications, overhauling those was the very first approved beta suggestion I saw that never happened. Nov 3 2016 https://beta.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/communication-notification-screen-overhaul.6497/

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser1874

A filter would be nice indeed. That being said, I've found myself on both the "accepting" and "offering" part of cross-tier trades a number of times, so I know for a fact that there can be instances in which such a trade is beneficial to both parts - even though admittedly I tend to dislike having to put up cross-tiers and whenever I do, I make sure there's some actual margin of 3-star-ness (as opposed to those who just go down by say, 1 unit in order to have the trade list as 3 star), and I do tell fellows NOT to accept those UNLESS it actually benefits them, because yes, I feel that most often than not, cross-tier trades work to the advantage of the one who puts them up. But not always, as I said I've found myself gladly accepting some (2 stars even). But to call for a ban would be rather absurd - nobody forces anyone to accept a trade, after all.
As to the current inflation with T3... apparently things are very different for some people. I had to build a new T3 manufactory despite having the Winter Set and the Jester's Tavern. What I always have an abundance of is T2 instead.
Soggy's suggestions are very nice, hopefully someone will forward them to the dev team.

DeletedUser5093

Also, with that tweak, it would be very important to separate trade notifications from all other notifications. Imagine being nickel and dimed 500 at a time on your 120,000 trade.
Fair point. Separating out the trade notifications would be essential. They're annoying enough as it is.

There is the potential for confusion with 1 and 3-star trades as players might mix up whether it is 5,000 that they are buying or paying, and even if they know it's 5,000 from their stash, an odd ratio would be hard to math out in your head.
Also a good point. Perhaps the solution is to explicitly list the unit cost in the trade. This could replace the 'Demand' column, since we're now effectively listing this in the buttons in the 'Trader' column. Perhaps the trader could look something like this:

Offer________Price_____________Rating___Seller______Purchase
Planks_______1 marble each______2*_______Player1_____[10k] [25k] [100k]
Planks_______0.8 marble each____3*_______Player2______[10k] [25k] [70k]
Planks_______1.2 marble each____1*_______Player3______[125]
Planks_______4 marble each______0*_______Player4______[10k] [25k] [50k]

DeletedUser5093

How about something like this? A slight change to my above suggestion in that instead of having multiple buttons under the 'purchase' column you just have the one, but you can specify the size of the purchase using a setting up the top of the trader.
index.php

I posted this as a suggestion here, where it goes into a little more detail.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wowwie

Soothsayer
You are always getting players that will do as they please :
the Trade gives a wide variety of options, \ taking those options away ruins the integrity of the trader,
I prefer the trader as is ,someone some where must be taking the trades or else the players would not be placing them,
Each Fellowship has their own way of trading great option,
Single players have their own way of Trading: great option:
You may not like the Trades dont take them:
Use the filter for your trades your looking for
I have said the Trader is only as good as the Players make it.:)