• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

The type of Elves that you like?

Elaini

Seeker
I wonder which ones of you have went deeper in the subject of folklore or have noticed how many different kind of Elf races there are in epics, books, movies and games.

As for myself I know a plenty about Quendi, the elf race of Tolkien / The Lord of the Rings. But tell us which elves you find interesting or if you're seeking to learn about them?

Pauly7

Mentor
To me Elves are like they are in Lord of the Rings. It always seems to be weird to me if they're all purple or strange looking.... Unless they're Santa's elves. They can be funny looking!

Elaini

Seeker
To me Elves are like they are in Lord of the Rings. It always seems to be weird to me if they're all purple or strange looking.... Unless they're Santa's elves. They can be funny looking!
Tolkien pretty much took influences from the elves in their early form - he had a clear preference towards them. The influences were from Nordic Elves (Álfar from Norse and Haltiat from Finnish mythology) and Celtic fairies (Aos Sí were like elves back then too). Now that I've done my research I think he actually restored their image in his own elves in a way.

I have used to the blue elves of Elvenar by now. I call it artistic freedom though it's not my personal choice when I make fantasy art. I just like the idea of playing an elf race.

There also were some Dark Elves in Norse epics - something that has echoed to modern fantasy as well (Drows, Dunmer), but it's not sure how they were like exactly. It's very likely they were smiths, though.

Last edited:

AstralSoul

Illusionist
Elves as lord of the rings, or the ones in Magic the Gathering, as well as described in D&D, and other role-playing games.

Blue elves are odd, frozen elves (marvel), are ETs, and x-mas elves, are x-mas "elves."

They need to be agile, close with nature, expert bow wilder (like a Ranger in the game), etc.

Elaini

Seeker
Actually the Christmas elves weren't invented until 1800s for a magazine that shared ideas to make Christmas more appealing to kids. The story of Santa Clause is older than that though.