• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

The rantings of an archmage

Fyrebird

Spellcaster
Aside from learning game dynamics I feel the hardest part of Elvenar is dealing with the 'peoply' factor. In an online game with so much international interaction, its inevitable that there will be misunderstandings, cross-culture disagreements and even a little bit of sexism. As leadership we are most exposed to people with authority issues. Nobody could prepare me for team members becoming abusive because I called them out on team rules... and apparently we are mostly adults!

My advise to anyone reading this is: choose your fellowship wisely. Make SURE you understand the team rules and if you don't agree with them, don't try change the team, find one you do agree with. Bulling players is just not acceptable.

Being an archmage is a thankless job. Wrangling players to work as a team and help people who are essentially strangers is like herding cats with tourettes. Thank heavens for my leadership team and the experienced players who have taught me to stand my ground. The lessons I've learned about myself and how to lead are invaluable and, given a choice, I'd do it all again :)

alsael

Enchanter
Diplomacy is the key.25 different people,25 different behaviours.And always remember,real life issues affects in-game behaviour.
So patience is needed.And when you want to adress an issue with someone,better do it in private,not in fs chat:rolleyes:

Hekata

Artisan
Agree, better do it in private but that's when the problem of players only playing on the app and no messages option comes in.

I'd also add that sometime it's better to wait for a while before saying anything becasue sometimes it's a temporary thing and gets solved by itself.
We had situations like that with some new players posting small 1 star trades even if it's against the rules of our FS and I thought maybe we should say something but our archmage (who's much wiser and has more patience than me) said: Nah, they'll stop doing it when they see no one takes their trades and that's exactly what happened in just a week or so.

DeletedUser2509

I am not an Archmage but must admit we do have an excellent Archmage in our Fellowship.........however we do think that one of our mages kicked our top player! Not our Archmage!! How on earth can we find the guilty person? Otherwise we have a fantastic Fellowship in Winyador :):)