• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

The cost of land in Elvenar

m4rt1n

Adept
I have bought expansions in the past but now they are getting expensive.

I have completed over 457 provinces and acquired expansion 45 in the Constructs tech so my discussion is about why the remaining 20 premium expansions cost so much.

I have no other way to expand except premium now and the cost for the 20 I roughly worked out at around or a little more than £1000.

The next of the 20 remaining is 4600 diamonds which in the UK is £40 with 200 diamonds change.

So zoomed in on my 32" High Res Monitor 1 square is about 1cmx1cm so 500 squares, roughly about half of 1 square foot of real estate.

Real land in Manhattan and Mayfair doesn't cost that much. :(

Timneh

Artisan
I have bought diamonds for expansions in the past but not since that huge price hike, Couple that with the increase in diamond prices a while back and INNOs sudden changes to the game that they seem to like making. Buying diamonds is not something i will ever do again. Now i just save up the free diamonds from chapter quests and wishing wells and buy my expansions with them.

Killiak

Artisan
I looked it up;

The big changes to the costs of expansions happened in version 1.17
The increasing cost of diamonds was around januari 2017, mostly for UK based players, but it's been a recurring theme since then.

Last edited:

DeletedUser5976

That's why info is hard to find hon.
Ah thank you. I did buy some diamonds in the past. After all I know servers and staff cost money and I don't mind spending some money on a game I enjoy, but now even with an offer of 100% I would have to pay almost 20 Euro's for one expansion. I find that rather expensive. No one wants to feel like they are being ripped off.

DeletedUser1874

As someone who has not been opposed to investing in diamonds for my entertainment / supporting Inno, I categorically refuse to spend more than 80 euros for an expansion. I already feel I spent too much getting to this point expansions-wise, given how with the same amount of diamonds one can obtain so much more value in the form of magic residences, RR upgrades and so on.
I do wonder how many people if any have been willing to pay so much for a single expansion, and given that expansions are limited, I also wonder whether it wouldn't be in Inno's interest to drastically lower the prices on the last premium expansions so that people would actually buy them. I mean, if I were them, I'd rather have 20 people pay 20 euros for an expansion rather than one person paying 85 euros for one. 400 euros beats 85, does it not?

Timneh

Artisan
It seems to me that INNO are incapable of seeing that selling expansions at a lower price will actually make them more money than selling them at a high price. I believe that they are pricing expansions out of the reach of many players. As said above a large number of people buying at a low price will be more profitable than just a few people buying at a high price.
I suppose it is possible that they have seen a drop in the number of expansions they have sold since the huge price hike but are too proud to admit they got it wrong or maybe even they do not want people to have more space in the game so they tried to price it out of reach on purpose. They never seem to have the decency to explain anything they do so i doubt we will ever know.

m4rt1n

Adept
My thought's now on this lie in the possibility that some players have spent over £1000 buying all the expansions and lowering them at this point could result in players asking for money back as a result.
If it were my company I would lower the price significantly, sell 10x more, make 100% players more happy and on a case by case basis offer a lot of free diamonds for those who paid the whole lot recently. :)

Deleted User - 1759805

Guys, are you privy to Inno's accounting information? No? Then how do you know that it's a bad decision? Perhaps there are many people who silently pay tons of money for expansions, and continue to do so after the price hike. I won't be surprised in the slightest. Just because a few people complain about this on the forums doesn't mean that this is a prevailing sentiment.

To the example before - what if it's not a difference between 20x20 vs 1x85, but 20x20 vs 19x85?

Timneh

Artisan
@MinMax Gamer How many people do you know that can afford to pay around £1000 for space in a game ? I don't know many and the people that i do know that could afford it just wouldn't.

To the example before - what if it's not a difference between 20x20 vs 1x85, but 20x20 vs 19x85?

While in theory this is possible i very much doubt it is the case but we will never know because INNO are not going to tell us. I still say that selling volume at lower prices would be more profitable than lower sales at high prices.
No i'm not privy to INNO's accounting info, i'm just going on common sense and what people i have SPOKEN to(not read on forums) have said.

DeletedUser3571

I thought i read somewhere that they increased the price to encourage people to have smaller cities, as the big cities were becoming slow to load on old computers.

DeletedUser1874

Guys, are you privy to Inno's accounting information?
You don't need Inno's accounting information to scout the top ranked players' cities and notice that the space for the priciest expansions is empty in most of them.

Deleted User - 1759805

@MinMax Gamer How many people do you know that can afford to pay around £1000 for space in a game ? I don't know many and the people that i do know that could afford it just wouldn't.

A common fallacy. "I haven't seen it hence it doesn't exist". If Inno is like most freemium developers, the vast majority of their revenues comes from a very small percentage of players. Usually, just a few percent of all players pay anything, and I've seen a study that half of all the revenues in mobile gaming comes from 0.2% of all players, that's real whales. Unless you claim that you know a representative sample of this population (I don't), your statement doesn't indicate anything.

@MinMax GamerI still say that selling volume at lower prices would be more profitable than lower sales at high prices.

You don't believe in luxury goods? So your recommendation to Ferrari would be to drop their prices and ramp up volume, and go compete with Ford?

Deleted User - 1759805

You don't need Inno's accounting information to scout the top ranked players' cities and notice that the space for the priciest expansions is empty in most of them.
That's good, there is a reason that there is segmentation even in the luxury segment. Whales compete against each other (you clearly don't *need* any of the top premium expansions). If everyone can have it, it's not a differentiator anymore.

DeletedUser5093

I still say that selling volume at lower prices would be more profitable than lower sales at high prices.
You don't believe in luxury goods? So your recommendation to Ferrari would be to drop their prices and ramp up volume, and go compete with Ford?
I think the main point here is that the quality/quantity doesn't justify the price. A better analogy would be if Ford tried to sell their more basic models for the same price as the Ferraris. Most people either can't afford that or would consider that a rip-off and therefore not purchase a Ford. You'll still be able to find a very small percentage of people who really want to buy a Ford, and so pay the money anyway. Others who can afford it will decide if they're going to spend that much money then they'd rather have a Ferarri, or get a Toyota instead and have a lot of change left over (i.e. why spend that much money on Elvenar when there are plenty of other good games out there that give much better bang for your buck).

Timneh

Artisan
"I haven't seen it hence it doesn't exist". If Inno is like most freemium developers, the vast majority of their revenues comes from a very small percentage of players. Usually, just a few percent of all players pay anything, and I've seen a study that half of all the revenues in mobile gaming comes from 0.2% of all players, that's real whales. Unless you claim that you know a representative sample of this population (I don't), your statement doesn't indicate anything.

I asked you how many people do you know that would pay around £1000 for space in game not whether something exists or not.

Are you seriously comparing an online game to a luxury car maker ? The difference between Ford and Ferrari is quality, the ferrari is a much higher quality product, there is no difference in quality between any of the types of expansions in this game. No matter if it is a free expansion from completing provinces on the world map or one you get from the tech tree or one of the premium ones they are all the same.