• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Summer Mermaids

• Thread starter DeletedUser3097
  • Start date

Heymrdiedier

Enchanter
i think not thought it though either , has rotating quests require you to upgrade 2 buildings to level 14 or a research to do ,has constuts done have no research left and all buildings at max with no room to build 2 more at level 14 and this will need to be done a few times has they come round , can upgrade a culture building if had loads of spell fragments but has there rare has rocking horse pooh you are stuck ,
why dont you tear down 1 or 2 T1 factories then and just rebuild those? theres plenty of days left to do this

DeletedUser8632

why dont you tear down 1 or 2 T1 factories then and just rebuild those? theres plenty of days left to do this

Oh, of course! Why didn't I think of that? Just tear down 2 Level 19 Factories and start over, brilliant! Forget for a second the completely wasted resources and how it will basically cripple T1 production for days. Or how it takes more than 40 hours minimum to get the factories back to level 14. No, the real question here is how somebody would think it is "fun" to put a player in a position where this is the only way to progress?

DeletedUser2139

Oh, of course! Why didn't I think of that? Just tear down 2 Level 19 Factories and start over, brilliant! Forget for a second the completely wasted resources and how it will basically cripple T1 production for days. Or how it takes more than 40 hours minimum to get the factories back to level 14. No, the real question here is how somebody would think it is "fun" to put a player in a position where this is the only way to progress?
Exactly! It just makes things unfair for some people. Like I had the same issue. Came across with research one technology or upgrade 2 buildings to level 14 or higher. I did the tech upgrade, 4 or 5 quests later I got the same quest again???? So because of this I'm stuck. Whereas others that got lucky and never had the issue so they were able to go further with the quests. I'm pretty sure I'll get another quest like this.
Maybe its because I just started elementals chapter? Maybe I was just unlucky with the game algrorithm? Maybe I'm just cursed overall. Who knows. But this kind of random quests is just unfair in my opinion.

DeletedUser3671

And another addition to the 48 corals pool. There's also a 5 baskets of groceries. And yes, i got that first and then almost just after that i got the 6 basket of groceries ;-)

DeletedUser3671

And see, thats the problem. 3 visits and 400 spell fragments on repeat is almost a best case scenario. I had "Produce Basket of Groceries" 4 times in a quest batch. And thats not even the worst. One of my neighbours had "1 Research or upgrade 2 buildings to 14+" twice almost in a row. That neighbour is at the end of dwarves and was able to prepare for one of those quests, but not for 2. Now all his buildings are upgraded and he will have to wait a minimum of 4 days to get all the Granite to finish the next research (Dwarven Wonders) - so this poor guy will literally have to wait for 4 days to do the next quest.

So tell me again how great this is.

And yet again. Started out in the 51 corals pool with gain 7 simple tools. Then doing 3 or 4 more quests and it returned ;-)

Killiak

Artisan
The trick is to be prepared, and to be able to prepare lots of players will have to sacrifice some space/buildings.
If anyone is not willing to do so, then I suppose they will get less rewards.

DeletedUser8632

The trick is to be prepared, and to be able to prepare lots of players will have to sacrifice some space/buildings.

And what exactly are your recommendations to an end-level player for "Scout/Complete a provices" if it repeats more than once? What is your recommendation for making sure not to be stuck on "Produce x/1 day goods". 40 squares maybe. Oh, wait... should be 80 squares in case you are unlucky enough if your boosted T1 is not a 2x1.

No offense, this is frankly callous and useless advice. I daresay "being prepared" is just not possible for the majority of players. Without any indication where the quest goes you can be prepared for 2 out of 3 things but not for everything.

Killiak

Artisan
And what exactly are your recommendations to an end-level player for "Scout/Complete a provices" if it repeats more than once? What is your recommendation for making sure not to be stuck on "Produce x/1 day goods". 40 squares maybe. Oh, wait... should be 80 squares in case you are unlucky enough if your boosted T1 is not a 2x1.

No offense, this is frankly callous and useless advice. I daresay "being prepared" is just not possible for the majority of players. Without any indication where the quest goes you can be prepared for 2 out of 3 things but not for everything.

Are you seriously asking, and are you seriously willing to listen, or are you just going to be an angry ranter all day? I'd like to know before I spend any effort on you.

DeletedUser8632

Are you seriously asking, and are you seriously willing to listen, or are you just going to be an angry ranter all day? I'd like to know before I spend any effort on you.

Yes, I am seriously asking. And I am genuinely interested in advice. I'm open to suggestions. BUT I am not interested in advice that is applicable for end-game players. I'm not an end-game player. I'm struggling to finish a guest race at the same time as an event.

So, yes. Please.

Edit: I will also gladly send you a link to my city so you can advice me what to delete to make room to be prepared.
Edit 2: I brought up a very bad RNG example that happened to a neighbour earlier in this thread where I also would be interested about advice. Sadly she has since left the game so I cannot share her situation in detail or link her city. But I will outline her situation as best as I can.

Last edited by a moderator:

C-Nymph

Necromancer

The recommendations are:
- There is never a quest asking for only scouting, there's always an alternative, i.e. upgrade one or two building(s). So you could prep that by upgrading buildings to lvl 15 way before the event and maybe even setting 5 of them to upgrade almost fully to lvl 16 and just before they finish upgrading, detach them from the road. Then you will have 5 buildings nearly ready for when you happen upon a quest like that. This can be done easily, also (or maybe even especially) by end-level players by building extra buildings in the space that became free after completing the last guestrace. By non-end level players this can be done by upgrading regular buildings that can be upgraded after unlocking the specific tech in the tech tree.

- Making sure you're not getting stuck on 1-or-2-day goods productions is not that easy if you're stuck in a guest race, because the thing you lack then is space. I have one city that is in between guestraces and has therefore a lot of free space, I was able to prep well and have almost 4000 corals now. My other city is very deep stuck in a guestrace with no spare room to build any small lvl 1 buildings, which means I have to take quest after quest as they come and therefore time is an issue. Hence, I've only been able to collect just over 1000 corals in that city. Only thing I could think of there is trying to get through the guestrace as soon as I can before the end of the event. Buy kp's to fill up any open tech in the tech tree and try to trade for any goods needed, and craft and use every possible Portal Profit that appears in the Magic Academy in order to unlock the said tech. It's a pain I can tell you.

You are however correct that you can never prepare for EVERY quest. But you can try to be as prepared as you can for the quests that you cán prepare for. If you have space, that is. Haven't got space? Feel free to join my club of sad spaceless players :(

EdwardTrunk

Soothsayer
I can see possible reasons why Inno have chosen to implement things this way with this event but for me at least, having completed Constructs, it's proving not to be in any way an enjoyable experience but instead highly frustrating for all the reasons already outlined above and I'm largely giving it a miss from this point on. :(

Killiak

Artisan
Yes, I am seriously asking. And I am genuinely interested in advice. I'm open to suggestions. BUT I am not interested in advice that is applicable for end-game players. I'm not an end-game player. I'm struggling to finish a guest race at the same time as an event.

So, yes. Please.

Edit: I will also gladly send you a link to my city so you can advice me what to delete to make room to be prepared.

Very well, let's go a little in-depth then, and I will try to write it in a way that is not just applicable to your city, which I already looked up on Architect btw.

The thing is with events like this, as I wrote, is that everybody is going to be busy with SOMETHING. It doesn't matter if such is a guest race, a Wishing Well Farm, grinding for expansions, etc etc. This is also the point of the game, to get ahead you must be willing to adapt, sacrifice, sell, rebuild and move things a lot.

So, when I say being prepared is about sacrificing things, it's really about having a critical eye on what you want to do. Do you really want to finish that guest race now? A person in my FS removed ALL of his S&D buildings, just for this event. Rigorous, but it's what he wanted to do; the guest race will be here after the event, the rewards of this event will not!
The second bit is looking for information. This website is great, and will tell you what you can expect (or close to it) from this events quest roulette.

So, looking at your town, the following comes to mind;
- Are those wishing wells still active? If not, can you remove them? You have spare culture right now!
- Same question for the monuments of ancient knowledge and the ferris wheel. You WILL get new ones this event!
- Do you really need 6 fully grown steel manufactories? Can't you trade some tier 2 for tier 1 with a fellow?
- If you drop 2 (or even 3) of those manufactories, how much population and culture will that return?
- Perhaps then you can even drop a culture building or two?
- Perhaps now you will have spare supplies, and can even drop a workshop?
- Drop residences. I'm not kidding; I've been dropping them over time.
- Keep an eye out for daily prizes (see elvengems.com) that can replace ones you have right now. Better stats and smaller sizes would be good.
- How important is the guest race to you during this event? Perhaps you can drop a night farm and a day farm?
- Don't forget that a fully grown Mermaid Playground will also give you T1 goods every day.

All of the above will grant you SPACE. Space you can use to build level 1 manufactories and workshops, which you can then turn on for 1-day and 2-day, or shorter productions, based on the quests you are expecting to get. Quests you now KNOW are possible for the event-phase you are in, thanks to elvengems.com

Addendum; we are informed of events a bit ahead of time, but the BETA thread will tell you further in advance. At that point, you can read up on it on the beta forums and get prepared.
That's not only for end-game players; it works for everybody.

Last edited:

C-Nymph

Necromancer
My two cents on the new random quest design? I've enjoyed it so far. Actually having a set list like on previous events and being done on day 6 of the event was getting kind of boring. The randomness gives rise to some frustrations, but I think the endlessness and thus the continued participation in the event trumps that. Plus, the ability to possibly gain more event currency because of the endlessness of the quests is also a benefit if you ask me...

Deleted User - 1759805

I am with @Killiak (and @Heymrdiedier) here. A lot of people want rewards without making any hard choices. Sometimes it works (lots of space in-between guest races), sometimes it doesn't (at the end of chapters). There are always ways around. And the events are going on non-stop so that in one event you may go further, in another one perhaps not.

DeletedUser8632

The recommendations are:
- There is never a quest asking for only scouting, there's always an alternative, i.e. upgrade one or two building(s). So you could prep that by upgrading buildings to lvl 15 way before the event and maybe even setting 5 of them to upgrade almost fully to lvl 16 and just before they finish upgrading, detach them from the road. Then you will have 5 buildings nearly ready for when you happen upon a quest like that. This can be done easily, also (or maybe even especially) by end-level players by building extra buildings in the space that became free after completing the last guestrace. By non-end level players this can be done by upgrading regular buildings that can be upgraded after unlocking the specific tech in the tech tree.
- Making sure you're not getting stuck on 1-or-2-day goods productions is not that easy if you're stuck in a guest race, because the thing you lack then is space. I have one city that is in between guestraces and has therefore a lot of free space, I was able to prep well and have almost 4000 corals now. My other city is very deep stuck in a guestrace with no spare room to build any small lvl 1 buildings, which means I have to take quest after quest as they come and therefore time is an issue. Hence, I've only been able to collect just over 1000 corals in that city. Only thing I could think of there is trying to get through the guestrace as soon as I can before the end of the event. Buy kp's to fill up any open tech in the tech tree and try to trade for any goods needed, and craft and use every possible Portal Profit that appears in the Magic Academy in order to unlock the said tech. It's a pain I can tell you.

There is a very widely distributed advice to upgrade as much as you can before advancing to the next guest race. So for a player near the end of Dwarves or Fairies everything that has CAN be upgraded, has been upgraded. For us, the threshold is determined by how much population we have left. (Pretty much: none). The first thing you do in Dwarves or Faeries is upgrade all your residences. So this is done. Even if you have up-gradable buildings you almost certainly do not have the population to do so.
Now this plays into your second paragraph. Being a reasonably conscious player, you try to prepare some L1 factories. You know that you may need 4x 1day goods, so you build 4 L1 factories. But wait, you may get unlucky (and a lot of people did) so you want to make sure that you don't just have an additional 4 L1 factories, you go for 8. That however is pretty much the exact population you need to upgrade that one other building for the quests. So now you are on a crossroad: Not being prepared for T1 quests or not being able to do upgrade quests. Sorry, I'm trying to be concise but I usually fail more often than not on this...

You are however correct that you can never prepare for EVERY quest. But you can try to be as prepared as you can for the quests that you cán prepare for. If you have space, that is. Haven't got space? Feel free to join my club of sad spaceless players :([/QUOTE]

kimkimkim

Summoner
All this for 1 simple solution......just add a decline button to the quests, problem solved :p

DeletedUser8632

Only thing I could think of there is trying to get through the guestrace as soon as I can before the end of the event. Buy kp's to fill up any open tech in the tech tree and try to trade for any goods needed, and craft and use every possible Portal Profit that appears in the Magic Academy in order to unlock the said tech.

I have more KP than I can reasonably distribute. I can't trade for guest race goods. And people I trust keep telling me to keep portal profits for the Orc chapter.

DeletedUser8632

I am with @Killiak (and @Heymrdiedier) here. A lot of people want rewards without making any hard choices. Sometimes it works (lots of space in-between guest races), sometimes it doesn't (at the end of chapters). There are always ways around. And the events are going on non-stop so that in one event you may go further, in another one perhaps not.

A) No, I do not expect rewards without effort. I expect a game retaining the nature of a game and remain something that is enjoyable to play overall.
B) I invite you to address the issue I have outlined in an as reasonable way as @Killiak did.

C-Nymph

Necromancer
And people I trust keep telling me to keep portal profits for the Orc chapter.
That's where it comes down to making choices again. You either save your PP spells for the Orc chapter in the future, or you spend them now for the event that is currently going on ;)

Remember, PP spells can be made again in the crafter, this event won't return so choose which of these you want.