• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

squad sizes and fairness

• Thread starter DeletedUser4149
  • Start date

DeletedUser4149

when discussing tournament costs and squad sizes, Mykan said...
" This is why some players would prefer it (costs) to be based on max SS tech to somewhat even the 'playing field' so to speak."

i think this is a great idea. it's not much different than basing the costs on chapter and is more fair to those that are learning the game as they play.

i've found that more of the older and most loyal players are more likely to have researched more squad sizes because they were less aware of their effects at the time they unlocked them. newer players are more likely to be aware of their effects now because of people informing them not to burden their cities w/ the irreversible effects of unlocking them.
"irreversible" is they key word here. a city's tournament ability can be permanently ruined by more squad sizes.
if they change this and make it better for everyone to have bigger squad sizes for non- tournament encounters, everyone can unlock the squad sizes, probably very quickly now that we have portal instants. we can't lock anything that was already unlocked.

personally, i think the game makers should feel at least somewhat responsible for the permanent damage they caused to cities' tournament abilities because of the poor information that was given to players about this and the very misleading statement on our loading screens that says " unlocking bigger squads helps you fight even bigger enemies" or something like that.

DeletedUser4149

i don't think this would be very hard to accomplish
it could make the spire more worthwhile if they did, since it appears that the spire is based on our squad sizes too

Pauly7

Magus
Part of me agrees and part of me thinks that I like it if there is a difficult choice to make. A lot of people fight only tournaments and think that they won't complete the optional squad size upgrades. Some people think "well I do province fighting too" and they do unlock them... or maybe they don't. Some people will calculate the cumulative effect of better performance in certain Ancient Wonders if they do unlock them. Does that make up for greater difficulty in tournaments? Maybe, depending on someone's playing style and depending on how upgraded their Wonders are. In that sense this whole quandary is interesting.

This doesn't solve the problem of possible unfairness in terms of when information was distributed and I'm not ignoring that point. Perhaps everyone could be given a one-time offer to lock them all again.

DeletedUser1962

I have been one of the player that was tricked into squad upgrades, I think at the time there was no tournament, I do remember opening it on the tec tree using kps and goods, witch was taken of tec tree and now is free to all, so now if I want to do well in tourney I must fight manual, I don't have the goods to cater, and I think its wrong to ask other player to pay for my tourney, they need the goods to help build there own town in the last tourney I went up to province 57 to 2 stars, I looked to see the cost to cater, witch was, 108.000 marble 158.000 crystal 125.000 elixir for just 36 tourney points , now I did 25 provinces to 6 stars, looked at cater cost 119.000 marble 93.000 crystal 98.000 elixir, there any fairness I don't think so, I have been locked in the same chapter for over a year ready to open next squad upgrade but scared to

DeletedUser1962

not very will speak there mind, most of the old players have left and those left want to keep there advantage in time inno will do it again, witch will hit more players

m4rt1n

Adept
To add my info to the discussion, I have taken all the squad size upgrades on purpose because I wanted to unlock everything in the game and still average over 4k score weekly in the tournaments.
I autofight the first 2 rounds, and everything to province 5 or 6 there after.
I manual fight everything in round 3 onward after province 5 or 6.

If they were made reversible, I would keep mine as they are because I manage just fine, but do understand that caterers suffer a lot as I see the huge catering costs especially above province 5 or 6.
Maybe catering costs should be linked to chapter rather than squadsize, and keep fighting as it is.

DeletedUser1962

great to hear some one I don't cater I manual fight to, there is some thing not right with the squad upgrades I now plyer with higher squad sizes the number of troop they meet and there cater costs are less, witch is not right, we are all in the same tourney, I think the rates of extra costs troops and goods have been changed, from the early days, witch is not fair we are paying the price of bad planning at the start, I don't know your tourney ranking points, mine is 49.000+

m4rt1n

Adept
great to hear some one I don't cater I manual fight to, there is some thing not right with the squad upgrades I now plyer with higher squad sizes the number of troop they meet and there cater costs are less, witch is not right, we are all in the same tourney, I think the rates of extra costs troops and goods have been changed, from the early days, witch is not fair we are paying the price of bad planning at the start, I don't know your tourney ranking points, mine is 49.000+

I'm only 15,000 tourney ranking points, had to look as ranking in a game is the last on my list of cares. I average placement around 30-40 place in Arendyll EN1.
https://www.elvenstats.com/player/en1/487433

More important to me is fairness, should I decide to cater, say I'm on vacation and cannot manual fight the higher rounds but only autofight on the app I lose huge troops, my scores suffer and also my goods in stock.

DeletedUser1962

I feel for you as its out of your control, and its real life, if only inno wood look at way to put it right, 1 let us buy back the unattached squad upgrades with blue prints one per month, 2 every time you open a new squad upgrade you are given the opportunity to buy one that is unattached in order from the first one

DeletedUser4149

keep in mind catering costs and enemy troops increase w/ squad size upgrades