• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Answered Squad size upgrade

DeletedUser4240

I am at the end of Dwarfs chapter. Missed to upgrade Squad Size in ch.V no.15. Should I nevertheless, research this upgrade and would this expand my present squad size(531)? I already researched Squad Size no. 16 , 17 and 18.
Thank you

DeletedUser1829

If it is an optional tech the choice is really up to you, it will increase your squad size like other similar techs but also consider:
1. Do you have the goods to unlock it anytime in the future should you choose to not do it now
2. Do you need the additional size for provincial fights
3. Tournament fights are based on your squad size and I think cater costs as well

Based on your play style decide what will have the best impact for your game.

DeletedUser1772

Sometimes Inno decides we need to complete certain previous research (some they add anew, some they just don't like we leave unlocked). But if this would happen, it should not be a problem in your case even if you don't complete it now. Chapter V is not a settlement one, meaning you would not need any goods that you don't already have.

forictori

Adventurer
Hi guys,
SummerMaya how are you dear.
I will give you my advice, as a player who enjoy Tourneys I'd strongly advise to leave it. I wish I was your chapter and had the same choice.
But if you prefer to just have good time with the game you need it. In the outer rings cater costs are just absurd and good battle is preferable.
Mykan as always offers an excellent answer.

DeletedUser4240

Thank you all for your answers.I am not some fighter, but all those "very hard"(read:impossible)provinces ,make me nervous :(.I just hoped to turn this everlasting red into orange, at least, although I will never fight. Not in my nature :)or ,maybe I am a little bit stupid and lazy for fight. Impatient too.:)
Decided to unlock. In fact I already spent 45 KP out of 60 , while I was waiting for answer. Just to see what will happen.

DeletedUser1829

What chapter are you in?

Around chapter 2/3 it is just the nature of the game to have all red provinces and there is nothing you can do about it. :(

DeletedUser4240

TY Daydreamer :)

@Mykan
I could finish Dwarves at this moment , if only I have 150K of damned granite:mad: and open the Chest in Fairies.
Squad size 19 is unlocked like all before it, except squad size 15....I didn't unlock it, somehow, by mistake .Now ,my squad size ,at 19 SS. research is 571.
If I go back at locked 15th squad size and unlock it, would it increase those 571, or I will have the same squad size like now?
But, thank you and I am sorry to bother you all. I will spend another 10 KP , face the truth and keep you informed ........ for next generations :)

DeletedUser1829

Sorry I missed/forgot the comment about dwarf chapter. I was trying to confirm you were not in the dreaded combat of chapter 2/3 which you are well past.

Every squad size tech increases your squad size by 3 times the number so in the case of tech 15 it is a boost of 45 if you unlock it. I have a table lurking in my guide somewhere showing cumulative squad size if you unlocked all techs and you should see yours is less than that listed for tech 19 as a result of skipping the 15th one.

It is becoming very common now for people focused on tournaments to skip optional squad size techs as they have an advantage over those who research them.

DeletedUser4240

Every squad size tech increases your squad size by 3 times the number so in the case of tech 15 it is a boost of 45 if you unlock it
TY....so I can expect to expand SS to 531+45,right?
EDIT: Yessssss:)
It works just like you said.It's good to know it for the future.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser1197

Squad Size = N * (N + 1) * 1.5 + 6, where N is the number of researched SS upgrades

It is becoming very common now for people focused on tournaments to skip optional squad size techs as they have an advantage over those who research them.

I'm surprised that Inno did not publish such information. For more than a year I don't use the troops to complete ordinary provinces (even if it can be done now, this is an inefficient waste of troops, and yes I'm over-explored), and the research of these upgrades does not give anything useful increasing requirements in troops and resources for tourneys

For a long run research these technologies for disadvantage of yourself only. This is a huge imbalance in tournaments.

If you do not research all 14 optional upgrades # 3,5,9,13,15,17,20,22,25,26,28,30,32,39 then the difference is 2346 (39 squad size upgrades) / 981 (25 squad size upgrades) = :eek::eek::eek: 2.39 !!! times the bigger needs in your troops and the enemy squad sizes and catering cost are proportionally.

The difference between those who from the dwarves chapter (from upgrade #17) did not research any optional SS upgrades and who researched all of them
2346 / 1401 = 1,67.:confused:

It's unclear for me how these upgrades in Inno's view are related to increased production of resources.

DeletedUser1197

There is a point up to which you need them to continue exploring tho. A couple of my research accounts are in early chapter 4 and needed almost all the optional size ups

from a certain point they only damage your game

DeletedUser441

It's ironic if greater squad sizes makes it more difficult ! Surely having the biggest possible squad size should make battles easier to win ? :confused:

DeletedUser1197

It's ironic if greater squad sizes makes it more difficult ! Surely having the biggest possible squad size should make battles easier to win ? :confused:

for tourneys - NO, Enemy squadsize scales proportionally to yours.
The ratio between your and enemy armies remains the same.

Tournament Squadsize = 5% * Squadsize in Barracks * Number of Province

for 5 enemy squads
Enemy Squadsize = Tournament Squadsize * (0,85 + 0,15 * Province Star)
or
Enemy Squadsize = 5% * Squadsize in Barracks * Number of Province * (0,85 + 0,15 * Province Star)

DeletedUser1829

If you do not research all 14 optional upgrades # 3,5,9,13,15,17,20,22,25,26,28,30,32,39 then the difference is 2346 (39 squad size upgrades) / 981 (25 squad size upgrades) = :eek::eek::eek: 2.39 !!! times the bigger needs in your troops and the enemy squad sizes and catering cost are proportionally.

Without the exact numbers this difference was raised during beta. I know again more recently I have seen players asking for this imbalance to be fixed. Thanks for the numbers, it is a big difference.

Part of this advantage is both players can potentially produce troops as quickly as each other, not counting wonders. With fewer losses it is equivalent to greater production for tournaments for those who skip techs.

There is a point up to which you need them to continue exploring tho. A couple of my research accounts are in early chapter 4 and needed almost all the optional size ups

That depends on your style of play. If you play close to the minimum number of provinces than no you will likely be fine in the later stages of the game. Two examples
  • I have a town in halfing close to min provinces and with all squad techs researched it has blue provinces everywhere, blutopia.
  • I know someone on US2 who skips every squad tech and does min province scouting. They found around woodelves (when they tested it) that they could start to win provinces rather easily.
Now if you scout to the max the story is different but sooner or later doing that you can't fight anyway.

DeletedUser441

Are people taking AWs into consideration ? For instance the Martial Monastery , to name but one.

Deleted User - 106219

What server are you on, Brienne? On mine none of the AWs increase the squad size (which is what this thread is about).
They don't increase the Squad Size, but they increase the stats of certain units, thus allowing you to kill more enemies with the same squad of units (in case of the AWs that boost attack) or to lose fewer units (in case of the Monastery/Sanctuary).

DeletedUser441

:oops: I was wandering off topic, talking about troop strength. As shadowblack says AWs can improve troops , reducing losses. Squad size is not the only factor.:)