• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Squad size curse

SkyRider99

Mentor
What's the point of my researching 67 squad size items when the enemy squad size just keeps getting bigger? I might almost break even on the Spire encounters (per wave), but after a few Tournament provinces I'm always greatly outnumbered.
I'll just keep collecting the troop boosts when I can. :)
The same evil spirit who cursed my troops seems to have nobbled my Magic Academy crafting offerings and options. :rolleyes:
Oh well.

MinervaOz

Enchanter
Your researched squad size has nothing to do with enemy squad sizes in the tournament (or the Spire for that matter). The ratio between your squad size and the enemy's is pre-set. It's determined by the sum of the province number and the round. In the first round, in province 1 the enemy's squad size is 1/8 of yours. They equalize around province 6 (I've stopped noticing but can check when I do the first round this week). By province 30 it's twice yours and then it increases by 1% each province. There is nothing you can do to influence this.

The (repeated) discussions about tournament squad sizes relate to the cost of the tournament (in terms of troops lost overall) and not to the difficulty of individual battles.

EDIT: In round 1, you still have a small advantage in squad size ratios in province 8; in province 9 you're slightly out-numbered.

Last edited:

SkyRider99

Mentor
Good info thanks MinervaOz.
It seems ironic that there are 67 research items to increase squad size but, as you rightly say, the ratios are preset and there's nothing that can be done. Damned if you do, damned if you don't ;)

MinervaOz

Enchanter
Your army camp squad size refers to the army you can take into battle in world map provinces, that's all. It's not relevant to either the tourney or the Spire. But it does affect the number of troops you get from troop instants and AWs, and the training size if you have the Dwarven Bulwark. So it's generally worth doing the optional squad size upgrade techs.

Gargon667

Mentor
The only downside I know of are quest requirements that are based on squad size. But usually they are so simple it really doesn´t matter, like the elven guard badge in FAs.