• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Split beta news into Topics

Autumn Goldleaf

Spellcaster
Hi, I would just like to suggest that it would be easier to find and read relevant information in the Beta News if it was split up into new Topics in the future instead of one long humongous file...
Would this be possible?
Regards, Autumn Goldleaf

Herodite

Forum mod extraordinaire
Elvenar Team
Greetings @Autumn Goldleaf let me have a chat with our CM to see if this is something we can look to do as we don't want to take any shine away from the designated Beta Forum. I'll come back to you :)

Kind Regards

Herodite.

Gargon667

Mentor
On th US Forum the News From Beta gets restarted every time a new guest race is released @Herodite. This prevents the message from getting too overwhelming to read.
I agree something needs to be found with the message.

You mean too overwhelming for new people? For all of us it only takes us to the oldest unread post in that long thread anyway? Of course if I don´t log in for a week or 2 that can be a few pages in an active thread, but rarely is trouble.
I don´t see how a new thread every half year changes that though. Having various threads for different topics I can see make the content better organised. Like one for storyline events, one for team events, one for general game changes?

anonglitch

Co-Community Manager
Elvenar Team
@Autumn Goldleaf, while we are keeping your idea in mind, we need to continue using our current "News from Beta" thread to make sure to keep the forums here polished and mainly focused on our International Servers :) Beta already has its own forum.

Stay tuned in these forums too, though, as, with the game, there is always new stuff arriving such as Competitions and a few more things :)

Lelanya

Mentor
You mean too overwhelming for new people? For all of us it only takes us to the oldest unread post in that long thread anyway? Of course if I don´t log in for a week or 2 that can be a few pages in an active thread, but rarely is trouble.
I don´t see how a new thread every half year changes that though. Having various threads for different topics I can see make the content better organised. Like one for storyline events, one for team events, one for general game changes?
I was simply pointing out that the US Forum has a policy to keep their thread shorter so that new players, or new Forum readers, can read the News from Beta in bundles that make sense, and not have to wade through a bunch of irrelevant information to get to what they may wish to follow. It IS best for mages and archmages to stay informed, after all, and why should new readers start with a handicap?

Gargon667

Mentor
I was simply pointing out that the US Forum has a policy to keep their thread shorter so that new players, or new Forum readers, can read the News from Beta in bundles that make sense, and not have to wade through a bunch of irrelevant information to get to what they may wish to follow. It IS best for mages and archmages to stay informed, after all, and why should new readers start with a handicap?

Sorry I must have fallen on my head today... I get the point that the US server makes a new thread every half year, but how does it help new people if you do that? How does a new thread every half year make more sense? It´s exactly the same info in the same order as if you keep it all in the same thread, isn´t it? I can´t see how anything is more or less relevant?

Gargon667

Mentor
2997 replies to News From Beta. I am current with the thread, so sadly it starts back at the beginning. That is 3000 posts to read, skim or ignore, to catch up to current events. So new readers should have to wade through all that to find the information on the proposed Spire changes, for instance. That is 3 and a quarter years worth of posts!

It does? If I click on the thread it takes me to the oldest new post in the thread. New meaning posted since I last logged in. If there are no new messages (why would I bother clicking on it unless I am looking for old info?) it goes to the first page (just as good as any other page), from there I start searching with the search function or if it is recent I move to the last page (maybe it would make more sense to be automatically directed to the last page instead of the first page?).

You do know there exists a button to navigate to the first or last or any other page in between? click on the "150" and you are on the last page, click on the "3dots" and you can choose any page you want. So there is no need for anyone to click through all the pages if they don´t want to! All you do is remove the option to get more info if you remove the content. I do not understand how anything is made better?

Also you can search a thread with the search function, better to have it all in one otherwise you have to do the same search multiple times and that is only if you have all the threads still there. The search by date unfortunately doesn´t work combined with the thread search (I think, I am not an expert on the search function). I think that would be helpful if you could go to a certain date in the thread and start reading from there. But at least navigating to certain pages is possible and I find still far more preferable than having an imposed and arbitrary half-year cutoff that has no benefits at all?