• Good day, Stranger! — Are you new to our forums?

Have I seen you here before? To participate in or to create forum discussions, you will need your own forum account. Register your account here!

Spire imbalance for cities in later chapters

Far Reach

Conjurer
You have some really good advice in the previous few posts from @30158729, @CrazyWizard and @Gargon667

On a more general point, the challenges which the Spire raises will depend a lot of your exact situation. If you are progressing through a chapter then you'll almost certainly be using far more resources for that than someone who has stopped progressing. If your fellowship is consistently getting Bronze Medals in the Spire then you'll be getting much worse rewards (for completing the Spire) than someone in a top Fellowship. If you are prioritising city development generally (e.g. by building expansions and levelling up civil wonders whenever possible), then you will face a penalty in Spire costs. None of these things will stop you consistently topping the Spire, but they will require additional attention (e.g. extra buildings) over a player not facing these challenges.

I predominately cater in the Spire, and I produce an excess of common resources (boosted goods, and boosted sentients) for that purpose. (Trading gives me an excess of all 18 of these resources). With the addition of an excess of supply production too, I have most of what I need for diplomacy. If I'm particularly short of some other resource (eg mana) I sometimes conduct the diplomatic negotiations assuming that it isn't used. (This takes more tries on average, but avoids any use of the scarce resource at all.)

If you can generate enough spells, then Power of Provision and Magic Manufacturing can help your production a lot. Boosted sentient production is typically the most effective use for MM spells.

I have very high Spire costs (due to Wonder levels, expansions, tech etc.) and run two manufactories for each boosted sentient good type. One would be sufficient for most people, but if you are using a lot of sentients elsewhere (e.g. for the tech tree, upgrading buildings etc.) then you might find two beneficial. In this case you might need extra seed production too.

Fyrebird

Spellcaster
Gargon667 thank you so much for giving me such a detailed response! I realise now that my problem is not so much dealing with the Spire as adjusting my mindset from standard goods to sentient goods productions and all the challenges involved with having a later game city. I was still 'small city' thinking. It took my issues with Spire to actually highlight to me my lack of knowledge with how my game has and will evolve. I have taken down notes and will keep referring back to these points (too many to acknowledge in this response). No wonder I've been so frustrated! Thank heavens I've realised this now at the start of chapter 14... it should come with a damn warning note!

As to finding a better fs; in Arendyll currently in top 20 one that I can't keep up with 'cos of my own ignorance, in Felyndral am archmage of one that still has many smaller player not facing higher chapter issues... so yeah, it is what it is!

As to your wife saying you are 'emotionally disabled'... the wife is always right ;), but you did a good enough job for me to understand where I'm going wrong so yeah... you've got that going for you.

CrazyWizard thanks as well for your input, definitely food for thought and i'll stop focusing on Hero's Forge... which I thought was so damn important because when in trouble i clobber the fight with heavy melee... not because they the smartest choice, cos they just don't die as quickly! Have now taken note of important wonders.

As much as it might halt city development and research, I see the wisdom in taking the time to restructure and regroup. Change is good, even if scary (and you sometimes feel foolish).

Again, thanx to all whom I've not mentioned, I appreciate your constructive help and perspective of later gameplay. Y'all just shouldn't flex on players, we're all learning and making mistakes, no need to rub our noses in it.

Thank you :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Pauly7

Magus
Again, thanx to all whom I've not mentioned, I appreciate your constructive help and perspective of later gameplay. Y'all just shouldn't flex on players, we're all learning and making mistakes, no need to rub our noses in it.
I'm glad that the tone has changed, but I'm still not sure what you were upset with to begin with or what "flexing on players" means. I took it to mean that you think everyone is showing off to make you feel bad, rather than helping. I don't think that happened at all, but perhaps it would be better for some of us to not try to illustrate a point including a description of the success we have. To my way of thinking, though, the only intention was to add credence to the point by saying "if you do this then you could get these X points".

Anyway, after you blanket bombed all previous posters with yesterday's message I bailed on this conversation, but kudos to @Gargon667's incredible patience to still sit down and write that whole thesis above.